so my nano died

Discussion in 'iPod' started by VespR, Dec 1, 2006.

1. VespR macrumors regular

I've had it about it 3 months. It's a 1GB white model, bought around the Nike+ episode.

Anyway, yesterday the battery died, nothing out of the ordinary and so last night I plugged it into the wall to get an overnight charge only to find this morning it wouldn't turn on. Not only that but it wasn't even charging. It doesn't even connect when I plug it into my pbook. It is completely dead.

Obviously this isn't normal, but I'd rather not take it back to Apple, because I know what will happen. They'll replace it and give me a new one. Now this isn't a bad thing of course, because there is no more 1GB nano and I'll get a 2GB version instead. But I can't stand that mini-look. The decision to move backwards in design baffled me, and well I just don't think it looks as good as the original iPod design.

So has anyone had this problem, potentially know how to fix it, or shall I just bite the bullet and get the replacement mini/nano rendition in some weird colour that isn't white!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try putting it in a sealed plastic bag and leaving it in the fridge for a while. All iPods struggle to get charging again if you let them get too flat. If that doesn't work, then take it back to Apple. You might be lucky and they may just repair it or give you a refurbished older nano. :)

3. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

You could just accept the 2nd gen. nano from Apple, sell it, then buy an old nano, either refurbished or second-hand, possibly making a profit. Or, if you have any friends with an old nano, you could ask them if they want to trade their old nano, for a brand new one (who could refuse :)).

4. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

thats not 100% true, they may have 1gb nano previous versions. Take it in and see if they have the 1gb nanos

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Actually, nearly always if your iPod dies within warranty, they'll replace it with one of the same generation, not the newer one.

As for a "step backwards" in design... you're crazy. Slimmer, colors, more scratch resistant? I'm failing to see how that's backwards. If anything, I wish they'd move the "anodized aluminum" look to the full sized iPods as well—that mirrored steel back looks good for the first five seconds, and unless you put it in a case (which makes it uglier anyway), it gets all scratched up. **** that. :rolleyes:

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

7. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

as stated earlier, you will get the same exact model and capacity as the one you own, Apple wont give you the new 2nd G Nano model.....

8. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

well they changed mine. and they did the same for my friend. we both got updated versions. i guess we just know how to get stuff done better than you do

9. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Really? Did you go to Apple Directly or did you go through a 3rd party retailer like BestBuy or Circuit City? Because i have a friend that works at Apple, and he has told me they never update your products, i have as talked to them on the phoen and they have told me the same thing.. and if it were true, when my 3rd Gen iPod died a year ago, i guess they would have given me the new iPod 5th Gen, but they didnt, and yes my 3rd Gen was under warranty...