So President Bush is doing commencement...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sean7512, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Yepp, it was confirmed on Monday...President Bush will be doing our commencement speech at St. Vincent College this year. I am not sure if I am happy or not...On one hand, I am interested in hearing what his speech is (considering he isn't very good at public speaking...not trying to start a fight, he just isn't) and its kinda cool that a small college having the president. On the other hand, the school is gonna be like a jail for a few days, we now have finals on sat and sun to accommodate his schedule, and it isn't open to current students, so i can't even go see it :rolleyes:

Oh well I guess....

2. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Do you have to attend?

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Ooooh. It might be fun depending on how strict your school is.

One of the 2004 Presidental Debates was here at ASU. The campus was so fun that day. It was swarming with news vans, there were huge protests, smaller counter-protests.

If anything of the sort happens at your school, I'd recommend just walking toward the action and experiencing it all.

4. Pac a Mac macrumors regular

Pac a Mac

You are probably being annexed, Blair will follow...a uniformed member of our royal family...then a contribution to clear up their mess:)

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If he was speaking at my school, I wouldn't attend. That's right, I'd miss my own commencement.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hell, I missed my own commencement for no reason other than not wanting to subject family and friends to the afternoon heat. :D

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'll notify the Nobel Prize Committee immediately. :rolleyes:

8. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

9. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

So ... my guess would be that he doesn't have to attend.

Seems like you could be at the center of something here, though, Sean. Whether you want to protest or celebrate, here's a chance to meet new, like-minded people and be social-justicey active like.

Do tell more about Saint Vincent college. Affiliated with whom? Generally a conservative or liberal school? What's the general reception to W likely to be like?

10. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, it is a Catholic School, obviously....There were a few protests to it after the announcement was made, but nothing too big. I think more of the students are concerned about taking finals on the weekend :p It will be interesting to see what the reception will turn out cause like I said, there were a few, small protests.

And no, I will not be attending because I am not a senior and they are limiting the audience to 4 family members for each student. Current students can't go see it, even if they wanted to. Stupid strict rules.

Link to the Official Press Release

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

just so i'm clear: graduating seniors can go, and can invite up to 4 family members. non-graduating students cannot attend. is that right?

because at first i thought you meant that *no* students could attend, not even the ones for whom the commencement was being held. and with how wacky security has gotten in this country, it didn't seem that far-fetched to me.

12. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yepp, that would be right.....heh, security has gotten wacky lately.

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I had Hillary Clinton at my Commencement last year. (Adelphi University)

She's a very good speaker and gave a pretty good speech.

EDIT: If I were the OP, I would be no where near the school.

14. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Hopefully Hillary didn't have a snuke in her snatch when she spoke there.

15. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

LOL. Nah, she was good. Kept it school related, brought up something on how she wants to make school affordable. Didn't bring any poltics to the stage.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think that about sums up my feeling.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All that work and you'd miss it for the boob in command? I wouldn't miss it.

18. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Commencement is pretty damn boring and long.

And yea I would miss it. The very sight of that man makes me want to vomit. I hate him with every fiber in my body.

***I've just been flagged by the NSA, FBI, CIA etc***

19. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I think you should be happy. I had to listen to our own Uni Pres speak at our commencement. All speeches like that are the same. He will throw in a couple of lines about current events and give you a version of Dr. Seuss's "Oh the places you'll go" Just try not to be too hungover, like I was. You will have to hug your grandma at the end. She will tell your parents, "He smells like liquor!" :D Have fun and congrats!

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

All right, so you'd miss the "hugging your grandma" part.

Tell ya what. Everybody attends and listens to the college president and the dean and everything. And then when Bush stands up to speak, everyone turns their back to him, puts in their earbuds, and plays something on their iPods. Grandma can give you the signal when Bush is done, and you'll have another reason to hug her. :D

21. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Whether you like the guy or not, hes the President of the United States who you have an opportunity to see in person giving a speech that has a connection to your college.

I think its an awesome opportunity.

22. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Wow, I pity the fool that speaks.

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Not as much as you're going to hate the housing prices in San Diego if you decide to move there. :)

24. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Rent is actually cheaper in San Diego then in New York. For a $1000 here you get studio (barely), in SD you get the bedroom (bedroom, bathroom, living room).

</end hijack>

25. BigPrince macrumors 68020

We had Angela Davis, Luara Bush, the Pakistani Ambassador among others who spoke at our college.

While I may of not agreed with thier point of views or who they were associated with, I made sure to take advantage of seeing them in person. Its a part of the college expierence. Many years from now you can tell your kids or whoever that you once I saw him or her speak in person. It a unique expierence.

I pity the fool that does not take advantage of these opportunites, almost selfish.