So.. PS3 in the UK?

Discussion in 'Games' started by XIII, Oct 1, 2006.

1. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Hey

I've seen a few posts around these parts about people planning to either import a PS3 and sell it (when they come out in Japan/USA), or to get one for themselves.

If I did this.. well. How would I do this? Where could I import one from? Would some stuff not work right over here in the UK? Would all games/DVDs/BluRay films be OK?

Thanks a lot,

-Newbie to this stuff. :p

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

DONT BOTHER my friend. The chances are you will not get one regardless.

They are so limited, most places arent even taking pre-orders.

With only 100,000 for Japan, getting one from the Asian websites is going to be next to impossible, with places like lik-sang.com and play-asia.com will be offering them at over inflated prices whilst they are so hard to get.

Places like DVDBoxoffice.com in canada cant even take pre-orders so its looksing remote from both continents.

With only 6 weeks to launch you havent got much of a hope I'm afraid

Movie wise you will be scuppered too as it will be region coded for movies still.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

as MRU said - don't bother. You're going to have to wait or have more luck than Ghandi... alright bad example... you need to wait!

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well for a few grand I'll sit out side a store and get your one.;)

But really wait....it will be pricey to import it, along with only a few good games at launch

5. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

geez...havnt you learned by now?

rev.b;)

in truth, im actually touring japan during end of november, so im planning on filling one of my tourgear boxes with a couple of them blighters.....:p

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it's never worth importing a console unless your über rich, as soon as it comes out in the uk your jap console will loose a hell of allot of value.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Do you really think your going to get a PS3? Maybe one, but more then 1 would be very hard, because I don't think many stores will sell you more then 1.

100k for Japan is not alot, and even less when its a huge name like PlayStation

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

UK is getting 150K on release but by end of the year, im pretty sure its close to two million units worldwide (or Europe, I cant remember)

However, people have been complaining (a nice way of saying it) about the price its gonna cost for one. So, if that holds true, not many will be buying them yet, but you never know. Personally, Im waiting till after the new year to get mine.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ ... You do know we're not getting any until March 2007?

10. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Thanks a lot guys. :) Waiting it is then..

I don't really care how much people are bitching about the price, with the Bluray player included inside it, I think its a pretty good deal.. Now I just need a 1080p HDTV as well.. :p

Thanks.

11. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yeah, these suckers on release are gonna be HARD to get.

I'm waiting till next year because hopefully by then I'll have a 30" LCD TV. Which will replace my Media Centers current monitor, which only does 800x600 at 72Hz. :mad:

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Europe will get 150,000 in March - not just the UK. Europe is made up of a lot more countries than just the uk ;) :)

2 milion units is just a wild optimistic estimate - one they will struggle to fill. If they have managed to manufacture and ship 2 million by then end of march/april 07 I would be very surprised.

Especially if they only have 150,000 for the 20 odd countries in Europe by march. If they were really ramping production as they say they are, they should be able to supply more, the fact that they arent means that production looks stunted period.

Regardless of price - initial stock will sell. It's only after 6 months will we be able to see the impact of the price.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm still a little unsure they're even going to get to them US/Japan launch figures. They still have BR production problems, it's getting very late in the day now...

14. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

ill be uber lucky to get 2, but one lives in hope...theres more than one akahabara :D

the prices in the UK for the PS3 will be considerably higher than japan, so im not going to lose all that much

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well seeing as though the import channels tend to charge more for the console on launch due to a limited supply and increased demand, they will be charging a lot more than the japanese price.

The PSP on Japanese launch was more than twice the price of it's r.r.p simply because of the demand.

So unless you find an importer who is a total saint and not willing to make huge profits at a time when they can, you will be paying more for it and therefore any inflated price you may be able to fetch on ebay will be negated by the fact you have had to pay twice the price in the first place to import it.

Then there is import & vat duty

So say you go the liksang.com route (which is the same for most importers)...

They will probably charge double the cost straight away so $900-1200 for the console depending on premium/core,

your gonna have to pay shipping $40

plus all your import duty & vat $200-300 so your looking at paying over $1200+ for your import.

It's just not worth it. You will struggle to make the same amount on ebay simply because your PS3 will be going up a week or so after people who got there on launch day. You have to allow for shipping times, time it gets held in customs etc...

16. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Dont, it will even more expensive, and probably just messed up!

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Here's what I mean....

From LIKSANG importers

Extra note: Be prepared that day-1 prices will unfortunately be much higher than the manufacturers suggested retail price, simply for the fact that our purchase cost itself will be much higher than the SRP too. Experienced and veteran hardcore gamers, who are not importing a system for the first time, know that buying a PS3 at launch or a PSP at launch is not the same thing as simply buying a mere PlayStation 3 or a random PSP off some supermarket shelf. People who really want it at the very first moment it is released are paying for the privilege of getting it two months before the massive overflow, and unfortunately middle-men in Japan and the USA who are lucky enough to get their hands on the very first stock know this as well. There is never enough of the good stuff on a launch day, and Lik Sang is required to pay premium pricing to get earlybird stock in sufficient levels for everybody, and yet, as PSP, NDS, PS2 and even Dreamcast releases have taught us in the past, day-one stock will definitely be sold out in a blink of an eye.

It's not that we like this situation or mark up a higher profit rate than we usually do on other systems. It's just that we know by experience that exporting systems from Hong Kong involves dealing with lots of greedy middlemen who know the value of what they have in their hands. It's not as easy as dispatching nationwide unfortunately, it's a very special type of service. After encountering that problem on PlayStation 2 and GameCube for instance, Lik Sang initiated the No-Money-Down Reservation List concept for Nintendo DS and Sony PSP, exactly to tackle this particular matter, letting people choose their timing and pricing. Most of PSP and NDS preorder customers seem to have been pleased with how things went back then.

Basically, we understand the launch prices are crazy high in the beginning, because of the rarity of what we are trying to snatch for you. Hence your freedom to choose for the exact moment you want to act. Unfortunately, Lik Sang has no influence on the open priced policies, the exceeding demand, low supply outputs, or shortages. For instance, the Sony PSP went within a couple of weeks from US$ 529 to US$ 429 to US$ 379 to US$ 329 and then to US$ 279... the PlayStation 2 even started with US$ 1500 back then in Hong Kong, and literally only a few pieces were available in the launch week.

Long story short, we can only extend to you the offers that we get, while waiting for the market to stabilize. But that's the beauty of the No Money Down Special Pre-Order system, you can always ignore day-1 prices and wait for a few more days, a few more weeks, or even several months, until the price goes down to an acceptable level. Without ever losing your pre-order position!