So say you had $400...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crazzyeddie, Sep 17, 2004.

1. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    If you had $400 to spend at the Apple Store, what kind of cool hardware would you get? I don't have Bluetooth on my Powerbook, and already have a wireless keyboard and mouse, so those are out. Already have a printer/scanner combo, two external hard drives and an awesome Nikon digital camera.
    So, I think that leaves me in the realm of iPod or Airport Express. I already have an 802.11b network, so I could buy 2 Airport Express units to make an extended 802.11g network, plus play music to my TV. Secondly, I could get an Airport Express and XBox for my HDTV, which would allow me to play games and listen to music, without the added benefit of extending my network.

What you would do? Any other suggestions?
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Personally I couldn't live without my iPod, so I'd get one of them if I were you!
  3. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    You could go the iPod mini route and add in an Airport Express to boot.
  4. NCTRNL macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    I just got mine and I love this thing to death...
  5. Estic macrumors member

Sep 12, 2004
    An xbox with a mod chip. That way you could stream video and music to your xbox, but if you plan on streaming video you will need g wireless frequency.
  6. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    I'd second the iPod; get the 20GB ($299) or Mini ($249) depending on what you need.

I would then spend the rest of the money on a GameCube (or XBox :(). Both are good, but the XBox only has two phenomenal games (and one is the sequel of the other - Halo, Halo 2). The GameCube has Metroid Prime, Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 2, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II and III, Super Smash Brothers Melee, and more. By the way, I'm talking about the games that are unique to the console. Go Nintendo (It's just like Apple - started as the biggest and now caters to those who want only the best quality stuff and are willing to be different)!!!
  7. point665 macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2004
    Well you could buy me a... hmm, dammit 400 isnt gonna cover that g5 will it? So instead you could get me a bluetooth adapter and the pro wireless mouse and keyboard. Just kidding, Id try out the Airport Express(s) because you already have an ipod, sorta... I dont know what kind of speakers you have but maybe upgrade them... Apple carries the Logitech Z680 5.1 speakers which look pretty awesome.

You already have alot of stuff that goes hand in hand with your macs so I dont know what else you could need... Maybe save it for your own G5?
  8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    The Logitech Z680 speakers are great (I have a set), but they wouldnt do much good for your computer because your computer doesn't have optical audio output.

Therefore, my vote is for a 20gb iPod.
  9. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    i'd definitely get an ipod

if you don't want an ipod i'd just save the money
  10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    get 400 tacos at a dollar a piece.

i second the xbox move, get a used one and mod it up.
  11. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    if i was you...

... and had to spend it at the apple store.

Wacom Intuos3 - 4X5 pen tablet

AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes

iLife '04

M-Audio MobilePre USB Audio Interface

AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes

M-Audio Keystation 49e - USB Midi Keyboard

iTV Link for 15" and 17" Powerbook

*this one is slightly over budget

12. dejaentendu macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2004
    Roseville, CA/Santa Barbara, CA
    How wonderful to have $400 to spend at the Apple Store. :) I'd get an iPod. For sure.
  13. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Or 800 if it's a tuesday and there is a taco john's nearby :D :D ;) ;)

(strictly a midwestern kinda place)

I would get the ipod btw...
  14. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
  15. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
    ooo EyeTv.... records and compress tv...also can take vcr to dvd compression. very nice...i heard it works really great and has some good options including easy controls to delete commercials.

16. point665 macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2004
    He has a TV capture box already, I think he said its the Formac one... (Sorry crazzyeddie, dont mean to bug in).
  17. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
    oops... i forgot to consider that....

then he can give me some of his stuff so he has something to buy!!
  18. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    For 400...

20gig iPOD(299) + Griffin PowerWave (99), to be under (sales tax?) I would go with iPOD mini.
  19. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    TACO JOHNS!!!!111

De Pere's only one is opening like.. the day before I move out. I gotta eat at one before I go south!
  20. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    $400 will get me about 3 iSights... give those to 3 people I know w/ an Mac, and prepare for 4 way video iChat when Tiger rolls around.
  21. crazzyeddie thread starter macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I will definitely go for the iPod... whether 20GB or 40GB I don't know. I like the idea of the iPod + PowerMate though...
  22. raynegus macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2003
  23. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    i think knights of the old rebublic deserves a mention, and crimson skies, both kick ass games, though i feel embarrassed to admit it i find myself playing more and more jedi academy on xbox live, it is just such a fun game running around chopping peoples heads off with light sabers and not to mention the siege gametype which rules
  24. t300 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    Well, if we are talking games...How about HALO?
  25. belair macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2004
    Thats a very cool idea. And very good for your social life. Keep in touch with friends that live far off.
    Tiger is gonna be so good to us. :D