So....shall we talk Maps?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by LastLine, Jun 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

I'm intrigued how everyone else is finding Maps on the new iOS.

I've got it on my 4S and find the satellite image quality shockingly bad, this isn't a slow connection, a funny zoom - this is what it can do for me right now. I hope it gets better :)

I've also tried using Siri to navigate here to a known good address (one that if I tap on the address, shows up spot on in Maps) and it often complains that it can't find the address - now I'm in the UK so this feature is still new to me, but is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502

You know, this is the FIRST beta. You are the one who are supposed to find new bugs and bad things and help them make it better.

3. macrumors 603

nfl46

Its Beta 1.

Everyone is not going to work properly.

Report it to Apple, so they can fix it.

4. macrumors 6502a

This isn't a bug, this is the problem when you go to your own mapping solution. Google has decades of satellite maps, not something Apple is fortunate to have.

It will be years for the Maps data to get up to par with what we use to have with Google.

5. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

They are using Tom-Tom maps, which I would think would be very good.

6. chrf097, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012

macrumors 68040

chrf097

They're using C3 Technologies's Maps, which has A LOT of mapping data. About as much as Google. (Google does not havr a decade of mapping data).

This is an issue with the beta.

7. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

They are using mapping data from TomTom.

8. LastLine, Jun 11, 2012

thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually, really not trying to troll, and apologise if that's how it comes out, I'm planning to report it to Apple but wasn't sure if this was a bug affecting just me (I updated software rather than restoring) or if it was more general.

Simply trying to see if others are having similar experiences.

9. macrumors 65816

steveza

If you click "other" in the map app to get all of the copyright holders, the list runs for a few pages. This appears to be an amalgamation of multiple sources of data so there will be a few bugs until those bits are ironed out.

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

But yours appears similar?

11. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

While we are talking maps, can you please see if you need to have a cell connection to use turn-by-turn or is there an option to pre-download maps?

12. macrumors 68040

chrf097

I wasn't calling you a troll, I was calling the person I quoted a troll. You're fine. :)

13. macrumors 6502

The satellite data isn't owned by google, they purchase and license it from other companies.

Apple can do the same...

14. WordMasterRice, Jun 11, 2012

macrumors 6502a

And they have high res satellite images? The routing is correct, but the sat images aren't.

It says right in the release notes that they have an extremely limited supply of high quality satellite images. That is from the mouth of Apple themselves.

15. macrumors 65816

steveza

Yes, all kinds of craziness. I would say its barely functional in the current state - I'm sure many updates will follow.

16. macrumors member

it says in the release notes that only a limited amount of high resolution satellite imagery is currently available

I'm in the UK too and I've held off installing ios6 for this exact reason - you can bet your ass apple don't give a **** about getting anyones maps working apart from those in the US. we've still not got a working Siri almost a year after it launched!

17. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Yes it is a bug. Its right there in the developer documentation, specifically this part:

"Map data will continue to evolve—only a limited amount of high resolution satellite imagery is currently available."

Not to mention iOS 6 was not released. This is the first beta, meaning 99% of the people on the forum shouldn't be downloading it as its for developers only. There is plenty of documentation covering known bugs and if anyone finds bugs not listed they should report them to Apple.

18. thread starter macrumors 65816

Ohh I must have missed the release notes :rolleyes::eek:

Thank you to the people who aren't ripping me apart, I missed that - was a genuine question :)

19. macrumors member

It'll get better.

20. macrumors 68040

chrf097

Woah dude, calm down. This is a BETA. Not the final version. Obviously when the final version comes along, Apple will have gotten much more Hi Res imagery. Remember, THIS IS A BETA, not the FINAL.

21. macrumors member

Ohhhh.

22. macrumors newbie

Can you enter a search? for me its crashing all time and btw no satelite pics in Germany

23. macrumors 65816

steveza

Search works for me and I've just checked Berlin and there are satellite images. Perhaps they haven't covered everywhere just yet.

24. thread starter macrumors 65816

Whilst true, Apple aren't well known for rapid support of foreign territories. Just saying :)

25. thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha I wasn't sure :)