So sorry to post this...

Discussion in 'Games' started by JoinMe, Feb 19, 2006.

1. JoinMe macrumors newbie

Hello

Before I start, I would just like to say a) hello, and b) I'm sorry if this has come up before and you are all thoroughly bored of it. But you're my only hope!

For the last three days I've been trying to get my new Xbox 360 to work through my Mac so I can get onto Xbox Live.

The Xbox connects to my iMac. The iMac goes to the USB modem.

I've managed, through intense trial and error, to get to the point where the Xbox recognises my IP address and writes 'confirmed'. But when it gets to the DNS section, it fails every time.

I've tried all manner of different numbers for the DNS. I've gone to the system preferences and found the router number for my Mac. But nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong? I imagine it should be simple enough, because I'm not dealing with wireless, or anything like that.

I just want to get on-line and get some games going!

Again, so sorry to bother you with this. It'd be amazing if anyone can help. If this is solved in the next couple of days, I'll make a donation to a charity of the solver's choice!

Danny

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

how is the XBox connected to the Mac? USB? Ethernet?

3. JoinMe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for replying.

The Xbox 360 has an ethernet connection to the iMac.

The iMac then connects to the ADSL modem.

I've turned sharing on in the preferences.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    What kind of USB modem is it? If it's one of the 'freebie' ones (Speedtouch 330?) that you get given when you sign up with ISPs, it might not be able to handle more than one device connected to it.

You might be better getting an ethernet based modem/router - which will make your life on both easier.

5. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

Here's my advice:

1. Get your local cable companies high speed cable.
    2. Get an airport
    3. Get the XBox wireless internet connector.

I am confused, is it a apple dial up thing, or a cable modem. (if its cable you have completed step 1). If its cable, yuo should try to use an ethernet into the computer, faster, and more reliable (but then the xbox has the problem.) Your best bet is what i said above, IMO. Then your computer can be off or whatever.

Good luck!

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

JoinMe, can you get another modem/router, or are you stuck with what you have? As others have suggested, better networking equipment will fix this problem. But, if you can't get anything else, we'll try to delve deeper into the setup issues here.

7. JoinMe thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... I guess I *could* get a new modem, but I suppose I'd rather not if at all possible.

I'm on a fast broadband set-up already, and the modem is a VT Voyager 105.

I've heard that other people have the same problem as I do, but I haven't been able to get in touch with any of them.

I suppose if I really need an airport I could get one, but would it definitely fix the problem?

Thanks again for replying.

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Is your XBOX close to your cable modem? Well, if you just buy a router you'll be fine. It'll give you 4 outputs and you'll be able to put in your iMac and your XBOX.

Oh, and please do NOT try and go the wireless way with XBOX. It's so frustrating. I have two XBOX's and getting them connected via wirelessly is a pain in the ass.

That's what I'd do.

9. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

i believe getting an aiport would help. I haven't had any problems with multiple devices on it. The only problem is that you would have to get the (fairly) expenisve XBox wireless internet device. With an airport, you are sharing a modem directly, without any computer passthroughs. But, if it doesn't work you should try calling M$. they do make the xbox (with a big hit on profits:D ).

Good luck!

EDIT: a router can also work as said above. And we are talking about the 360, right?

10. JoinMe thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 360, yeah.

Okay, well, I guess I could go down the router route for starters... hopefully that will mean I won't have any more problems with the DNS numbers!

Thanks for your advice - I'll keep checking back here in case anyone who's been in the same position posts.

I'll let you know how I get on - and I meant it about the charity donation.

Cheers!

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

All of the advice already given has covered anything I would have said. I just wanted to tell you that you don't have to be sorry about posting a question here. The whole point of this forum is to help people out, and the majority of members are always more than willing to lend a hand. ;) :)

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    JoinMe

Few more bits of info...

Who is your ISP - and what connection are you on? I'm assuming from your post that you're in the UK with ADSL rather than cable.

And what version of OSX are you running on which iMac? Just might help people help you out a little more.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I do think that a router would be the right call. But many ISPs will keep track of the MAC addresses of the devices that connect and might not recognize the new MAC of your router. This is usually easily fixed, and, once fixed, any systems connected to the router are immune, as it were, because the router's MAC is all that is seen.

Around here, a Linksys WRT54G 4 port + 802.11g router can be found for under US$60. I'd get one with wireless, even if not used immediately, because the incremental cost to add wireless is so low.

You would still need to go through some pain (maybe) ensuring that the router connects to the modem, but then all should be golden.

There, of course, might be a way to fix this via internet sharing off your Mac. But I do think a router would be, in the long run, a much better solution.

14. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

So can the WRT54GS which is better. $60 used off amazon. Oh and you can always have your router clone your MAC address if thats a problem.

15. JoinMe thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi.

My ISP is BT Broadband, and yes, I'm in the UK. I'm not sure what connection I'm on. Is there an easy way to find out?

I'm on 10.4.4 on OSX.

16. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

1. He already said he has ADSL
    2. Why?
    3. Are you crazy?

Putting an xbox on wireless is a horrible idea! I know a bunch of people who tried it and they all had a terrible time setting it up and it also drops the connection quite a bit.

The absolute best thing to do would be to get a cheap ethernet based router and use that. No need to go wireless with an xbox.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've helped out a lot of folks connecting their xbox 360's on the forum and all I can say is

What on earth are you talking about? I have my 360 with USB wireless adapter and it worked straight away out of the box. Simply left it on Automatic settings and it set everything up itself. I have never had issues with drop connection EVER....

Mine connects to my Airport Express - to cable modem...

It may cost €90 but i don't regret buying it..

18. zathras macrumors member

zathras

Ok so just for clarification -

Your DSL modem is connected to your Mac and you want to via USB and you essentially want to share that connection out of the ethernet.

You mentioned errors during the DNS section - did you manually set your DNS servers in the XBOX? - these will be two IP addresses you get from your ISP.

19. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Does he really need to get him a JFK or an O'Hare Intl'? :confused:

[FakeEdit:]Ooooh, you mean an AirPort Base Station. Silly me. :eek: :eek:

j/k