Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
So I was just browsing the App Store and realized that somehow I was able to download a few iPad apps. Which was a big surprise to be because I always figured these phones should definitely run iPad apps.

It's dumb not to, right? I mean these phones are basically iPads. Down to the curved edges. And why should certain apps be unavailable to you?

I think it's important to have. It helps the ecosystem

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Uh, are you sure you were running a truly iPad-only app, and not a universal app which has layouts for both iPhones and iPads?

Which apps were they? Screenshots?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Some apps are on iPad but not on iPhone.

You don't say?!

Most apps have universal binaries and work on both iPad and iPhone.

Some apps are iPad-only.

Some apps are iPhone-only, but will work on iPad, just that it won't make use of the full screen estate on the iPad (take Instagram for instance).

You must be new to Apple if you just discovered this, or if you're someone who rhymes with scroll.

Edit: I just noticed your username. How I wish I hadn't replied to this bloody thread at all.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Uh, are you sure you were running a truly iPad-only app, and not a universal app which has layouts for both iPhones and iPads?

Which apps were they? Screenshots?
Yeah, sounds like just universal apps.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Do we know about any free iPad only apps I can try?

The app that I used said for iPad.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
i ran to my iPhone 6+ and tried to download "bing for iPad" , no dice

it won't show up on app store and it won't show up in purchases

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
But it should since now it's just as big as one

That's what universal apps are for.

Some apps just aren't meant to be run on 4.7" or 5.5" screens - for example, Adobe's Illustrator Line would be horrible on an iPhone. The iPad's larger display and, crucially, the 4:3 aspect ratio means there's a lot more space that just isn't there on an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.