So the automator is still buggy,right?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yuy, Nov 10, 2005.

1. yuy macrumors member

Hi, I found Automator was amaing because I do not want to learn applescript or other languages as automator can do most of the job.

But from 10.4.1 I have seen that in automator, among the actions for Safari, 'get link url' does not work. Now in 10.4.3 the probelm is still there. Do you guys experience this?

I know somebody has alredy reported in Apple's forum. But apple did not take any actions. sigh:(

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Automator is about as useful to me as Sherlock. I haven't cracked open that app since April.

Sorry if my snarky reply didn't help, but I just had to.

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Well, I wouldn't say that one action not working makes the entire program buggy. Have you looked on Apple's site to see if someone else has created an action that does work? I like Automator, but I don't have a huge need for it as I seldom do the same types of tasks all the time. But when I have a large number of things that all need the same action I have found it to quite useful.

4. yuy thread starter macrumors member

haha, i think automator has prospects ahead.

5. yuy thread starter macrumors member

Well, yes, I check the results with the action "show results". Nothing will I get.:)

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

buggy, no. you don't know how to use it properly, yes...

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's still not as user friendly as it could be but it's useful all the same. I haven't found it buggy though. :)

8. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I understand that that action is not working for you. I was just stating that because one action out of the-I don't know how many-that Automator comes with is not working, doesn't mean that Automator is buggy. That action, yes, but Automator as whole is not buggy. Just my definition of a buggy application.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have 2 Automator settings that I use regularly. The first will ask me to select the files I want to edit, and then it will resize an entire batch of photos so that they're easier to email, and/or post at MacRumors. Two days ago, I reduced the size of 55 images to 1024 x 768 so that the file size of each image was smaller, but was still large enough for my friends not to care.

The 2nd task I have Automated is the ability to rename a whole group of files. I use it when I get new music and want to add the band name and song number quickly.

10. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've found automator to be very limiting and slightly buggy as well. Often, workflows that work fine when you click run in the editor completely stop working when you save them as an application and try to run them. Automator's shortcomings prompted me to learn AppleScript and I find that much more powerful and useful, and really not that much harder to use.