Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
That iWalk video was a fake I believe, search the web about it. I'm not interested in an Apple PDA - PDAs are completely pointless these days since all they were particularly good for was portable digital address books and calendars and mobile phones have done that as good as if not better for years. A tablet mac however would have all the benefits of an ibook or powerbook but with the added ability to draw etc. I think a 12" iTablet would go down an absolute storm.

AlephNull

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Josh396 said:
To me the iWalk looks old. It seems like something that was designed about 4 or 5 years ago incase they saw an immediate market for it. Also, look at the charger. The charger in the background is at least 2 or 3 years old as it was used with older iBooks and Powerbooks.
It looks old to me too, mostly because of the date at the top of the screen, Saturday December 29th, 2001. :eek:

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I'd love to see a Tablet Mac. I was all set to buy a Powerbook about 6 weeks ago and then as I'm trying to decide on a 15" versus a 17", IBM/Lenovo announces its X41 tablet. Nice functionality and the legendary IBM quality and superior keyboard. Too bad it runs Windows!

... but I got to admit, I doubt a tablet Mac is coming any time soon... Even with IBM getting in the game, it's still going to be a while before tablets go mainstream (although more and more 'regular' users are really seeing the benefits of being able to freehand draw and take notes).

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
I think its an annoncement for mini expos arround the world highlighting the availible accessorys for ipods.

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
i think it will be a newly designed ibook, and the apple asteroid, and possibly if asteroid then proband

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
themacman said:
i think it will be a newly designed ibook, and the apple asteroid, and possibly if asteroid then proband

As much as I'd like to see a completely revamped iBook, I question the likelihood of this knowing that in a year or so they will probably be redesigned again for the new Intel chips. Mind you, I suppose there is nothing saying that Apple could redesign the iBooks now, with the existing processor etc. and once the Intel move happens, just pop the new processor in under the hood - just because the processor architecture is changing this doesn't mean Apple needs to redesign the container. All this being said, I just don't have a lot if faith right now in Apple when it comes to their portable line, and don't know if we'll see anything major until the Intel chips appear.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
I think the tablet idea is plausible. Here's why:

1) As I mentioned in another thread right after WWDC, for the first time in years, there's absolutely nothing in the Apple Store that has me interested. That's bad news for Apple. They need something to tide people over/keep them coming before the Intel switch. People are reluctant to buy Macs now because they're afraid of them being obsolete, blah, blah. However...

2) Many people wouldn't think twice about buying a new iPod. One problem is everyone already has one. Another problem is that you can't do any "computing" with an iPod.

Enter the tablet. It has a pod-ish name to keep people interested. It plays video, if that's your thing. It's cross-platform compatible (files and stuff) and the bundled software is amazing. Non-Mac users weren't afraid of buying an iPod. Non-Mac-using iPod owners will not be afraid to buy this. It will give them a little taste of what OS X is all about.

I think Apple needs a product like this, especially with Palm's new LifeDrive out (a PDA with a 4GB hard drive).

Just my 20 won.

Squire

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Exactly what Squire said. Thinking about it again, Apple only have so many ways in which they can maneuver. The powermacs and imacs can only go so much further with the G5 processors. The ibook and powerbook will never use G5 processors because even if they could fit them in, they'd have to either run at about 500Mhz to stay cool or people would have to carry around a 3kg iHeatsink. The G4 processors have always been great, they're pretty power-economical and are already very well understood and ueber-compatible with all Apple tasks. Since there is no expansion in the G5 world why not expand the wonderful G4 world for now? There's not a huge amount of headroom for faster G4 processors so they need to spread their wings the widen the G4 usage world - hence why creating an iTablet would be a fantastic idea. Low power G4 at 1.2-1.4Ghz in a 12" ibook/powerbook sized unit. New product, new expansion, more money.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
It's just the iTunes phone. Maybe something else thrown in just to surprise us and seem cool. PDA and Tablet would be nice, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Not like this. Steve said they weren't planning on that type of thing anyway, but we all know how that's been going. For those looking for Mac updates, the PowerMac and iMac were just updated. Not happening any time soon either. iBook and new single G5 tower will be coming, but not here, this is just a little media event. I have a feeling a lot of you are going to be disappointed.

And that iWalk thing is a 4 year old fake. Google it.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I swear days of the week roll over slower in the Apple world. I reckon OS X runs its internal clock at 50% real time and is so advanced that it slows down the environment around you in a weird space-time warp.

I hate waiting.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
While I do think it would make sense for Apple to release a tablet right now, I don't think the device mentioned in the post above is it. I hope they do release one. The product line needs to be invigorated and my 1 GHz iMac needs a new friend.

Squire

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Woah the amount of hype this thread has now caused is ridiculous. Extra threads are opening everywhere - although half of them seem to be spam.

Anyway, if they were to release an iTablet, what kind of specs do you reckon it'd have? Do you reckon they'll release a PowerTablet too?

What they could possibly do is release an iTablet with a similar spec and size to the current 12" or 14" iBooks and then update the iBook line to something a bit faster.

Maybe they'll release a PowerTablet which has a slide open system to reveal a keyboard. Or a swivel (how do you spell that word?!!) system like a lot of the current PC tablets have so that its a tablet / PowerBook combo like device.

advocate

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Dream: Apple Tablet - transflective HD screen powered by Pentium M and running OS X. My credit card is ready.

Reality: iTunes phone. More music from the Apple iPod Company. Sigh.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Spanky Deluxe said:
Woah the amount of hype this thread has now caused is ridiculous. Extra threads are opening everywhere - although half of them seem to be spam.

Anyway, if they were to release an iTablet, what kind of specs do you reckon it'd have? Do you reckon they'll release a PowerTablet too?

What they could possibly do is release an iTablet with a similar spec and size to the current 12" or 14" iBooks and then update the iBook line to something a bit faster.

Maybe they'll release a PowerTablet which has a slide open system to reveal a keyboard. Or a swivel (how do you spell that word?!!) system like a lot of the current PC tablets have so that its a tablet / PowerBook combo like device.
There would be no PowerTablet just an iTablet. My guess is a G4 around 1.3 Ghz or so with 30 or 40 GB hard drive. I don't think there would be a need for a keyboard because it would use a touch screen to write notes and open programs.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
ClarkeB said:
Well, technically we're on 2G, just with a different colour wheel and without the seperation of buttons to make selection easier.
Well, no, it's officially 4th gen. I see what you are saying, but the 2G was different enough from the 1G that it got a whole new generation label. Same with the 3rd to 4th, though the photo still counts as 4G. This is definitely 4G as well.

Maybe it's all just semantics, but that's the way it is. :p

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Having seen the supposed photos of the iPhone I'm hoping that a tablet mac might actually be what the event's for. Especially since the iTunes compatible phone is nothing more than an ugly old Motorola phone with an mp3 player on it that just happens to be iTunes compatible. Its no more special than any other phone with an mp3 player on it!!
I can't really believe that they'd have a big hoo har and a huge media event for a bog standard phone like that.

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
why is no one listening to me about the mini expos highlighting ipods availible accessorys?????????????????????????????????????????

I have a sixth sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
MikeJett86 said:
I think they'll take the time to unveil a few things. the phone, mini revisions, ipod mini revisions possibly and to show off the new ipods. Or it might be a launch for the new ad campaign that's been talked about here and there. Or all of the above. Personally, I would love to see all of the above. Maybe unveiling "numbers" or whatever, the spreadsheet app to go with iwork.

I doubt there will be any new revs to the Mini until the Student Union promo ends (or the rest of the iPod line for that matter). I'm thinking phone and not much else.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Switzermac said:
why is no one listening to me about the mini expos highlighting ipods availible accessorys?????????????????????????????????????????

Maybe people were just distracted by the excessive amount of punctuation marks in your post. :p ;)

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Switzermac said:

Well what do you know... according to AppleInsider
It's no longer expected that Apple on Thursday will host a special event to introduce new music-related products…
sources say either Apple France or Apple Europe on Thursday will brief some media outlets on the latest iPod-related products. According to our checks, these products are existing Apple and third-party iPod accessories.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Quit with the tablet already! :) And the G5 Powerbook for that matter.
My money is on the phone, and MAYBE a relationship concerning THIS.

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
I would welcome a tablet mac. I've never used any kind of tablet before but they appear to a very innovative.

I dislike mobile phones. I would like to see one that lets me make calls for free when in my home or in range of a network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.