So, the instore hype finally died off.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gamecube117, Mar 20, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Went to the Apple store today, and of course there were tons of people inside (and there always is, whether there is a new release or not). The sales associate told me they have "full sets" in their stock and I went right after my shift ended at 6:00 PM. That's here in Toronto at our flagship store. I'm surprised it died so quickly - no line up and it's now hassle free to buy one from the store. No point coming in. I saw this guy walk in, went to the sales, said he wanted the iPad 3 64GB Wifi and he got one in less than one second.

2. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

Two words: Pre-Orders

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

True. But I guess from now on, there's no point for ordering online when you can easily walk in and pick up one easily.

4. macrumors 6502

You could only due that because so many people preordered ;)

5. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

But the only reason for this was pre-orders. I guarantee if they don't do pre-orders next year, then it'll be a pain to get one in stores for a long time. (Just like last year)

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess they were prepared! I'm glad they had tons for pre-orders, because less than a week later I can just walk in and buy one right away. I'm not the person that needs the new gadget right the second it's released, I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks -- but a couple of days (like the new iPad) is even better!

7. macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Less than one second? I highly doubt your claim.

8. macrumors member

Stopwatch or it didn't happen.

9. macrumors 6502

Just that, many, maybe many more than just many pre-ordered and just decided to wait. And some peoples are already shipped out. And the ones who did not can find them in store. I mean, I did not even plan on getting one in Launch weekend thinking they were sold out, but behold, I got my 16GB on Saturday. They were just prepared, and I don't think there was much hype initially either b/c of the Pre-Orders.

10. macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Pre orders and in store pickups helped a lot.

11. macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I had the same experience in Toronto. Walked into the Eaton Center on saturday and picked one up. I was really surprised since last year it took me weeks to get an ipad.

Apple handled this launch well. :cool: Let's hope it'll be the same for the iphone launch.

12. macrumors 68000

The bad economy plus lots of people own an iPad 2 and are probably trying to sell them before they buy the next one.

The world is over-saturated with computers.

The new iPad will be my first. I'm selling my white MacBook for it.

13. macrumors 6502

4 words - another pointless quantity thread.

14. macrumors 6502

It's arguable that the economy was even worse when the ipad 2 came out.

15. macrumors 65816

Velin

Anecdotal, but when I went to buy mine in So. Cal on a Monday afternoon, the iPad 3s were flying out the door. I bought two myself. Someone ahead of me, no exaggeration, bought four of them, and then a lot more people were buying after I got my two. Store was running low on all white models. They had black models in stock, wi-fi only was the big seller from what I saw.

16. macrumors 68000

You don't see homeless middle-class people because adult children are living with their parents now. People are becoming even more frugal, but they're still trying to live happy lives … putting on their best face.

17. macrumors G5

Macman45

Yep, Apple got the stock right this time too....I pre-ordred both ATV3 and the new iPad..both arrived on time on the 16th.

The fact that stores have stock is a good thing no?

18. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

I'd say it's a great thing. Customers who want an iPad can just go buy one without having to wait.

19. macrumors member

+1

OP, you're complaining that you didn't have to wait for your iPad? Some people will complain about ANYTHING!

20. macrumors 68040

Pressure

Rememeber it launches in 24 more countries on friday the 23th of March.

21. macrumors 603

Yes, that must be the reason for the biggest launch yet, with over three million units sold in under four days... :rolleyes: