so...the names

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jlewis2k1, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

I was just thinking about something. If Apple is dropping the PowerBook name and adding MacBook Pro can we safely say that the replacement for the iBooks would be MacBook? Also, what about the PowerMac what would that change to? Its apparent that the iMacs are staying with the same name, but would the other products be changing not just guts wise but name wise too?

2. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Why would iBook change if iMac did not? The Power is in reference to the processor. The new PowerMac may just be a MacPro ... or something completely different. :p

peace | neut

3. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

True, but Steve also said they wanted Mac in the name. The iMac already does so it makes me wonder, since PowerMac also already has Mac in the name if they will drop the Power from it as well. They probably will but what will they replace it with? Powerbook=MacBook Pro : PowerMac=MacMac :p

4. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I would assume that the iBook would just become the plain old MacBook.

Interesting thought on the PowerMac though...Mac Pro seems to be a good candidate...that is if we can assume that the other names will be changing as well.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

The Power is not in reference to the PowerPC processor ... its a common misconception. First Powerbook debuted in 1991 ... first PowerPC Powerbook in 1995.

iMac is a stronger newer brand ... thats why it didn't change ... and iMac is more of a modern representation of Apple.

I think its very possible that the MacBook could replace the iBook. I would change them both .... change them all get the press related to a "new" computer

6. neut macrumors 68000

neut

It's peanut butter jelly time?

Banana book. :)

peace | neut

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

And that leads to only one possible outcome... banana phone

Apple iPhone next Tuesday! :rolleyes: :D

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd like to say that I really don't like MacBook Pro. its not as fluid as PowerBook. but oh well, ironic of Apple to rename it because they don't want association with power anymore. I mean the MacBook Pro looks to be VERY powerful! though I'm waiting at least 1 more year before I pick one up.

I was thinking about the iBook name too. MacBook... it seems right somehow. but yea why didn't they rename the iMac? maybe because thats the driving flagship mac product (other than iPod, of course)... who knows what it will end up as! 'cept Apple and Steves Super Apple Secrets or whatever it was called :D

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

WHERE YA AT? ... with a baseball bat!