So the Origami is off to a bad Start? Why?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GimmeSlack12, May 7, 2006.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well to begin with the Origami is known as Samsung's UMPC and was supposed to be a total secret, which turned out to be the worst kept secret as of recent technologies. And now the reviews of the device are trickling in with ratings that the device is not user friendly and is nothing but a new toy for the "gadget gurus".

So what is the story with this thing? It started out trying to build hype aka Apple... but the truth about it was leaked so fast that no one had time to get excited about it. It really goes to show that you need to delivery something that people will use. You can't introduce technologies that are not finished.

Cause the Origami sounds like a great idea, a mix between a PDA and a laptop, but the timing was off, and therefore the idea will probably die an early death until someone else gives it dedicated attention and does it right (Apple?).
    Comments?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My understanding is that the Origami concept models had some serious limitations... they were rather bulky, and they did not have substantially better battery life than notebook computers. I think the core idea sounded like it had merit, though....

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

not really

pda is good becuase it small and connects you to the internet on the go, while a laptop is a full computer, when you mix it, you get a computer to large in fit in a pocket but to small to uses as you main computer

5. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I dunno..maybe the fact that it's the size of a brick? ;)

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not a technology problem; it is a conception and design problem. Origami is the worst of both worlds.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've heard they won't run any version of Vista at all. Not much future then... Apple will not be worried.

8. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Exactly, but just executed so poorly. They have to understand that people will not use a flawed item, no matter how great the ideal situation is.

I think that is what makes Apple gain so much interest from outside parties. Not because they are the industry leader, but because they understand the industries needs (and get it right).

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The point of a PDA is to have a stripped down personal computer you can fit in your pocket.

The origami is like a huge PDA, with a few more features than a PDA, but still fewer features than a full laptop. What's the point? If you already can't fit the Origami in your pocket, why not just go ahead and buy a normal laptop that can do more?

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

i really should read before responding...

Regardless, I don't think such an idea is even possible of being "well executed" - we already had huge PDAs in the 90s... now we have small ones. Nobody wants to go back to huge. I really don't see why anybody, in any situation, would want something like this instead of a powerful PDA, or a normal Laptop. Only people that want to buy the flashiest newest things to look cool and show off would buy this.

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

12. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

It looks sooooo bulky. And extremely overpriced. But that's Sony for you.