So the pinstripes are finally gone...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spaceballl, Apr 13, 2005.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It's really fun and interesting to see how OS X has progressed. I remember when X was first releaseed, the pinstripes were practically a thing that the Apple crew was really proud of. Take this for example:
    [​IMG]
    (pic courtesy of mnstate.edu)

They faded them in Jaguar, a bit more in Panther, but as we can see from here:
    [​IMG]
    (pic courtesy of apple.com)

The stripes are finally completely gone. They are almost all gone in Panther, but if you look closesly at the very top of your screen, you'll see that they are very faded but there. I think it's good that the stripes are gone. Anyone miss them?

2. auxplage macrumors 6502

I like the look of Tiger. It looks very silky, pure and clean. I cannot wait to see the difference on my own computer whenever I can get enough money. :)

3. shidoshi macrumors regular

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I, for one, certainly do not miss them! They got old very quickly. Plus Apple hasn't been putting pinstripes on their Macs (think B&W G3, Graphite G4, original iMac era) for years. It's all about brushed aluminum and glossy whites now. I definitely welcome the change.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Pinstripes, schminstripes...
    Interfered with legibility and looked ugly.

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

7. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

now all they need to get rid of is brushed aluminum or at least an option to turn it off.

is that an option in Tiger?

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

9. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

10. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I find that metal is only anoying when used in thick chucks. For example, safari looks beautiful in my opinion. Because the metal is only used in a neat status bar at the bottom, and a thin title bar at the top. The toolbar is also full of metal, but it looks ok because it's filled entirely.

Now on the other hand, there are these silly developers (and even Apple sometimes) that oddly enough wants to make the whole backdrop of an application metal!!! That's just totally stupid. Just as bad is when the toolbar is nothing but a huge empty lip of ulgy nastiness. What makes metal toolbars even worse is when the toolbar icons are the "pinstripe-type" and not the embossed kind.

I think these metal Apps are "in":

1. iTunes
    2. iPhoto
    3. iCal
    4. Safari
    5. QuickTime
    6. DVD Player
    7. iMovie
    8. iDVD

I think these metal Apps are "out":

1. Address Book
    2. Automator
    3. Font Book
    4. iSync

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Brushed Metal is so overused. I'm waiting for Apple to come out with Wood Veneer.

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I say the disappearance of the pinstripes is a refreshing change, if nothing else. I liked the Mac OS 9 pinstripes, but they don't really fit in with Mac OS X, IMO. I'd like to see some more appearance options besides Aqua and Graphite (surely Apple can bring back Rose, Lemon, etc. like Mac OS 9 had).

13. AppleAce macrumors regular

LOL!! Woodgrain, that would be great :rolleyes: But actually, it is used in GarageBand, which many people complain about. I wonder if you could make a hack to replace the brushed metal look with the woodgrain from Garageband? :D That would be great just to see how ugly it would look.

14. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

After using ADC Builds, I'm already use to the new look!

It's very "pure" and by far the cleanest X to date. Jaguar was even too "busy" IMO.

15. auxplage macrumors 6502

Yes!! That would be so great. :D

16. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I hope you're right; not just naturalized.

17. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Both the Tiger's Mail and GarageBand have such random interfaces....they don't fit in at all. Of course that is the idea, but I am a stickler for consistancy. :)

18. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

what about the 'idle' applications (the apps not 'in focus')? What do they have?

It used to be like Aqua when it was active and Pinstripe (top only) when not in focus...

19. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

with so many changing themes and ideas, why wont apple just let us change the look ourselves? look i can change the apple from blue to grey. . . what about red, or gree, or orange?! and what if i want a black menu bar with white words. what if someone is alergic to the brushed aluminum and wants something completely different? (wood veneir sounds like a nice change!)

20. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Here's a screenshot from the Apple website of Tiger with an inactive Aqua window in the background. It's very highly compressed and small, but I think I can make it out. It appears as if there are NO LONGER any pinstripes in the titlebars of inactive application windows. The whole Tiger UI seems to have taken on a more flat shiny look. The only place pinstripes remain appear to be the menus and toolbar backdrops.

http://images.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/images/desktopshot20050412.jpg

21. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Well aren't there Finderbar themes for just that? (not by Apple, IIRC)

22. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Pinstripes are not gone. Take a close look here:
    [​IMG]
    Those are pinstripes (Image from apple.com).

And IMHO I think Mail looks really bad in Tiger and the menubar looks out of place (windows, titlebars use a softer matte light gray texture, but the menubar uses a bright white gloss?). I hope it grows on me; I think Panther is the most beautiful UI overall I've seen in an OS.

23. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Oopse, I forget to mention the application backgrounds; good point. It'll be hard for them to replace that style anytime soon. What's really nice about the pinstripe concept is that it's better than just dull, simple color fills (like how grey is used in windows). The pinstripe texture has character, yet without being to heavy or distracting.

24. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

The pin strips are something i will not miss, I don't like them. But, now when I look at tiger, it seems the menu bar is just "not right". Anyone agree?

BTW: I love the new print utilities window.

25. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Pinstripes

There was some question as to whether or not there was pinstriping when an application isn't in focus. You can see in this screenshot that, when Tiger Mail is in the background, there is some light pinstriping on the background.

[​IMG]

BTW, sorry for the size, but its important to have it large enough to see the pinstriping.