So the verdict is? Nano or Shuffle?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by inlimbo, Sep 12, 2005.

1. inlimbo macrumors 6502

So what is the verdict? Should I get a Shuffle or a Nano. The only disadvantage i can see with the nano is u will have to carry around a USB cable which u don't have to with the Shuffle (thats of course assuming u want to use it as a storage device as well - which I do).

I have a 20gig 3gen iPod and was looking for something smaller to carry around and use at the gym etc... I take my PB with me to uni everyday and Im sick of lugging that giant 20gig iPod around :)d he he). I was all set on a Shuffle but now im liking the look of that Nano. Should I get back or white? Back looks awesome in the pictures - does it look as good in person?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Sounds like a shuffle would me your needs better. The nano is essential a super small regular iPod. For gym, a shuffle is better suited than the nano.

But it sounds you have your eyes set on the nano for the cool factor in class.

3. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Well not just the gym - i don't even go yet! he he I just plan too - it may never happen :eek: I just want something small. I don't know if I could live without a screen. But like u say its essentially a super small regular iPod while the Shuffle is something else.

Anyone out there with an Ipod, a shuffle and a nano?

4. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I've got a 3G 20gb iPod and a 512mb shuffle and I'd like to add the nano.... basically to get the colour screen and some extended battery life. I use the iPod in the car with an iTrip and for data storage...... Shuffle for the gym.... I'd use the nano for on the move really and for a little bit of Photo-Display.

I like the idea of updating my main iPod which is starting to show it's age with something that looks that good..... plus I fancy something in black for a change!

5. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

I picked up a 1G shuffle this weekend and it is seriously like carying a 35 cent pack of juicy fruit. It's so small you could easily loose it, and weigh's close to nothing. Havnt picked up a Nano yet but this thing is perfect if you dont want to feel like your carying any bagage.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, a 2gb nano is only marginally larger, more expensive, than a 1gb shuffle, but has double the space and a color screen. Like you mentioned, however, the shuffle is a much better portable storage device. If you really need a portable flash drive and are on a fixed budget, get the shuffle as you will save some $$ and kill two birds.

On the other hand, if you have money to spend on gadgets galore, get a 2gb nano and buy one of these. I've got a 128mb model and it is dead useful.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have a 40GB 4G, a 512MB Shuffle, and a 4GB nano. The 40GB is fantastic for carting (most of) my collection around, esp. for long trips or vacations. And, while a monster compared to the smaller versions, it really isn't that big.

The Shuffle is great for a day's worth of listening, esp. because it is cheap enough and plain enough that, unlike other iPods, you won't spend all day worrying that it will get scratched or dirty or whatever - which can be very nice. Drop it? Who cares? It'll work no matter what. Also, it works well in the cold, whereas I worry about exposing screened iPods to winter conditions.

The nano is my only photo-capable 'pod and is nice for carrying pics of my kids around. The 4GB capacity is limiting for long trips but perfect for shorter ones.

8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I feel the pull of the nano as well, but I think I'll stay with the 30GB color iPod and 1GB Shuffle. These two suit my needs better. I don't have to worry about scratching the screen on the shuffle. I badly scratched the screen of my 30GB the day I got it and now it always has to be in a case. Not so with the shuffle.

9. cbrad macrumors newbie

If you don't work out and the thought of not having a screen scares you, you seem to be suited for a shuffle.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I don't know about that. I'm guessing you meant a nano?

11. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Definitely the nano!
    I don't own a shuffle.. but loooked and played with a few...
    and the iPod nano wins this hands down!