So the wife gave me permission to buy an iPad ...

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cmeisenzahl, Sep 27, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Oct 7, 2005
    Do we have a rough ETA on new hardware coming for it? If I buy one, it will be a LONG while before I'm allowed to by another and I can wait for a while if it won't be too long. ;-)

2. macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida
    It appears to be on a annual cycle.

I'd say not before next march.

We own 2, and I'd buy another today if I could...

Enjoy it!!!
  3. macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2008
    iPad 2nd Gen = April 19, 2011.

Mark it.

Of course I have no idea and neither does anyone else outside of the people designing/marketing/testing it.
  4. macrumors 6502

Nov 12, 2007
    This should be bolded. I would expect slightly sooner but buy now and sell it when a new one is out. Will have high resale value in good condition.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2008
    The 2nd gen will probably come out around March or April 2011. We're still 6-7 months away from that being released. I just got mine over the weekend, and will probably sell it and get a new one when the 2nd gen releases.

Just get it NOW and enjoy it NOW! :D
  6. macrumors 68020

Mar 24, 2010
    Buy it now.
  7. macrumors 68020

Jun 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL area
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Buy it.
  8. macrumors 65816

Mr Kram

Oct 1, 2008
    buy now and enjoy. if a new one is released in 6 months, ask the wife if you can upgrade.
  9. macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2009
    Lincolnshire, England
  10. macrumors 65816

Apr 24, 2010
    Who cares when the new one is coming out??? You should hurry and buy it now before your wife suddenly changes her mind and tells you the deal is off!

And for those who are single and free to make sole decisions on how to spend money, you should buy it now, too... The iPad rules as-is!

11. macrumors 65816

Jan 13, 2005
    I'm Happy with mine a Camera and Facetime would'nt be enough to make me replace my 64gb 3G
  12. macrumors member

Jun 9, 2007
    From one husband to another... When the wife gives the purchase green light on gadgets... you don't hesitate :)

Now go get your iPad!
  13. thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 7, 2005
  14. Guest

Jan 6, 2005
    A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
    How do you figure an annual cycle? What's your source? With only a singular release, you have no data to make a determination on cycle times.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2010
    Daytona Beach
    It is all speculation based on apple's history and rumors that have been going around. Calm down.
  16. Guest

Jan 6, 2005
    A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
    I'm perfectly calm. I simply dislike misinformation.
  17. macrumors 68040

Nov 6, 2008
    The most populated city in the planet
    My wife didn't give me permission but I sneaked out and bought it. :)
  18. macrumors 68020

Mar 24, 2010
    Just purely speculation. Apple will USUALLY tease the next gen WHATEVER at the next MacWorld, which is USUALLY late January. Then 2-3 months after that is USUALLY the release date, which fall into the USUAL yearly refresh for Apple.
  19. macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2008
    You have to ask yourself if 6 more months without the iPad is worth it to get an incremental upgrade in features. I'd get it now and enjoy it for those 6 months, which is a rather long time.

Also keep in mind these devices hold great value on eBay, so if you do really want to upgrade later, the net cost will be fairly small.
  20. macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Apple pulled out of Macworld Expo last year.

The reason some expect a once per year upgrade cycle is because that's what happens with the iPhone and iPod.

Phil Schiller talked about this with David Pogue a few years ago.

"[Schiller] noted that Apple marches to certain annual product cycles: the holiday season (Novemberish), the educational buying season (late summer), the iPod product cycle (October), the iLife development cycle (usually March), the iPhone cycle (June). January doesn’t fit ANY of them."

Considering the current generation iPad hasn't even launched in every country Apple offers products, it's a safe bet there's not another coming until next year.
  21. macrumors 68040

Oct 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I secodn this, go ahead and buy one NOW....go. Stop reading this, take your car and go buy one :cool:
  22. macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    I'd suppress your desire to get a new gadget now and wait. It's *likely* to be released this spring and will be big improvement over the current model. I have an iPad and really enjoy it--but I bought it on launch day so I've already gotten a lot of use for it.

Believe me, once a new model comes out with a higher screen resolution, a camera, and more RAM -- you are going to regret it getting one now. This iPad is a rough draft of things to come.

Withdraw the money from the bank in cash and hide it from your wife in a drawer. :)
  23. macrumors 68000

Sep 27, 2007
    3 earth minutes from your location....
    Do you realize how sad that sounds? My wife gave me permission to do something. Weak dude. It's one thing to say that money is tight and we have to be frugal as a family with our purchases, but to say that you have to get permission from your wife to make a purchase sounds truly sad and emasculating.

Being that you have "permission", buy it before she changes your mind.
  24. macrumors 68040

Apr 9, 2010
    The one and major drawback to your approach is that if the next iPad is as different from the current model as you say, then theree is a greater risk of there being problems with it. So even if a new model is released in the spring of 2011, he should wait an additional month or two after the new model is in consumers' hands before actually buying one. That moves the date out into the Summer.

The OPshould buy one now and get use and enjoyment from it. If he has any vacation time coming up for the holidays then that will give him some more time to play with it.
  25. macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    I disagree. I think the experience of engineering the first iPad will make Apple better prepared for the second one. Besides, I don't recall any major problems I had with my unit--and the iPad is a totally new product category.

After the release of the new model, I don't see any need to wait. If one has a problem, there is always the genius bar. In the unlikely event that the problem is a no-go, then one can always return it.

The only "problem" I see is that it may take awhile for apps to catch up to whatever the new screen resolution it is--*if* Apple updates it. This wasn't a big deal for the iPhone 4 however, and I don't expect it will be for the iPad when this change is made.