So theres no way to upgrade the MBP graphics card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac000, Dec 18, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Im planning on buying a C2D MBP and driving it on a 24" Dell 2407FPW. At first I thought hey no problem the 15" MBP's graphics card should do. Then i took a look at the 24" iMac thinking it would have the same graphics card - nope. Now I'm a little concerned, I've never ran an external display before but by the looks of it the x1600 will be pushed a little too much running a 24" Dell. And I noticed there is no option to upgrade the graphics card in the MBP like there once was, unless i missed something?

So what are my options here?

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

there's no option of upgrade graphic card of mbp, and it's not easily done either

however using mbp to drive 24"dell is no problem... the one in mbp can drive 30"ACD just fine

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

For just general computing, you'll be fine. For games, you might have a problem. But no, the MBP, like most laptops, has its graphics chip soldered directly to the motherboard.

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

My Core Solo Mini with it's GMA950 shared graphics chip has no problem with my Dell 2407FPW, so I really don't think a MBP will have any issues at all.

5. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh yea? what about playing occasional games?

6. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

7. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

the performance of a graphic card on playing game is very much independent from how much "pushing" the card it is when attached it to a certain size of display... provided you aren't trying to connect a dual-link dvi monitor to a single-link dvi port

the point is... under normal condition, that is, non-gaming, no-3D, the integrated graphic card will run 24 inch dell or 23 inch ACD or anything below just as fine as a X1600 or X1900 or even higher will.

however when you do gaming (and that depend on what you do. GRAW is gaming, and chess is gaming), how well the card perform will depends on the setting of the gaming, resolution and so on... and that is also independent from the monitor.. you can run 1280x960 native on a smaller screen, or the same resolution (and other settings) on a 24inch dell, they will look very similar.

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Laptops do not come with upgradeable graphics cards, even for PCs, so I don't see the fuss.

9. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

there use to be BTO options, no?

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Never, I don't remember seeing any Powerbooks with BTO options for graphics cards.

11. Deputy-Dawg macrumors member

I believe that way back when there was the option to have, as a BTO, additional VRAM. But I do not believe there was ever any choice of a "better" graphics card.