So this guy wants to buy a domain from me...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by cr2sh, Jun 28, 2006.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

About 5 years ago I registered the domain name 16volt.net, I've kept it active paying the $9.95 a year but have never really done anything with it.

A fellow emailed me last night (he owns a 16volt racing battery company)wanting to know how much I'd sell it for. I spoke to him on the phone today and explained that I've got about $50 in it and I don't plan on doing anything with it... but wouldn't name a price. He offered $100 off the bat... I explained that I was waiting on an appraisal from godaddy and would get back to him once I see what they say.

The appraisal came back way high... and I have got to believe this is way off.

So what do you guys think? How much should I ask and what's the least I should sell this domain for?

Attached Files:

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Charge him $700-$1000 as well as show him the appraisal.

3. HGW macrumors member

between 4 and 12 thousand dollars is a rubbish estimate. i would try and get my money back for that service.

$500 and $1000.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'd ask for at least $2,000. This guy owns a company and will be using this site likely to sell product. The cost will be a tax deduction for him, most likely - a business expense.

In my opinion, he was trying to take advantage of you by offering a meager $100.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

How big is his business? Base your price on that.

7. geodome macrumors member

geodome

US$9.95 X 5 + 10% (to take in account of inflation) = US$55

You should be selling him more than US$55.

Since 16 Volt has commercial value to him, I reckon you ought to be selling him around the lower price limit of GoDaddy's appraisal.US$7000 should be more than enough :D

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    4-12 grand?! For a domain name?! Jesus.

I'd tell him 2 grand. Say "look, dude, you're going to write this off and really, if you're selling stuff with it, you'll make that money back in a month, maybe two anyway."

100 bucks... cheap skate.

9. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Well let's see... if this guy is going to base his entire business around this domain name, it should be worth $2500 minimum. Remember, if he's serious about the business and has a public storefront he'll spend probably $100,000 before he opens the doors. Store renovations, signage, utilities, stock, insurance, and advertising. The domain name of his dreams is a BARGAIN at $2500. He'll spend more than that on miniblinds for heaven's sake! Remember any product is worth what somebody else will pay for it, whether it's a Ferrari or a domain name. Ask $5000 for starters but don't go below $2500. It's a bargain at twice the price.

10. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

The first domain I ever sold was FireTruckParties.com and got $20.00 for it. I always regret that I didn't at least start at 150.00. Give him your price and see what he says. There's always room for negotioations.

11. James L macrumors 6502a

Sex.com sold for $14 million.

http://xbiz.com/news_piece.php?id=12847

:D

12. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

:eek: whoa! and some of those other domains like telephone.com and creditcard.com got millions too. Damn, I wish I registered domains back in the day....

13. HGW macrumors member

14. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I was on the other end of this not too long ago. I have a business and I bought a domain from someone who bought it years ago and he ended up never doing anything with it.

Please don't just assume that because someone owns a business that they've got tons of money to spend or that because "it's deductable" they're going to be able to pay much for something. Being deductable means only that one doesn't pay tax on that amount of money come tax time as much as a year later. That something's deductable doesn't mean much to a young, struggling business that has more immediate cash flow issues as they're just starting out.

I was fortunate that the person wanted only $100, which I happily paid.

If I were selling a domain and a huge company wanted it, I'd want more for it. But if it were a small company just starting out, I'd like to think I'd be less demanding.

15. kaboutertje macrumors regular

kaboutertje

Indeed, I don't think this guy will pay 1k+ for the domain. But find out how big his company is, where I live you can just look this up in the registers, for instance if it has a net profit of 100k a year I still think 1k for this domain is a lot.
    If it's some company that operates out of someone's garage and is lucky to get a 10k profit a year I would just ask 150/200 and be happy with it.

16. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I'd show him the appraisal and ask for maybe $500. You get a bit of cash in your pocket for basically doing nothing and he gets his domain. That's just me.

17. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Asking your price is proof that you registered the domain in bad faith, in order to rip him off, so he can get in contact with ICANN (I think) and convince them to give the domain to you. That is, if there is any reason why he should have that name, like if he runs a business named 16volt. Visit www.nissan.com to see what is the worst thing that can happen to you, it is quite educational (and you won't find any cars there either).

The best thing to do is ask a lawyer. The second best thing, if you want to get more than 100 dollars, is tell him that his offer is not worth your effort for changing the domain name over, that you would rather keep it, and that you wouldn't want to discuss this on the phone. Find someone who finds a way to say "I might consider a written offer" without actually saying anything incriminating that can be used against you by establishing "bad faith". Any indication that you are trying to make money could be a huge problem.

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Forgot to say: You did at least a google search for "16volt" to find out who might be behind this, and what the domain name might be worth to them, didn't you?

19. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I bought the domain for a reason. I know who owns the .com, who might want it eventually and what the reasons would be for owning it might be. Your concept of "bad faith" in this relationship lacks understanding of the situation and quite frankly it offends me.

The interested party and I agreed on a price that was between his and mine. We agreed on terms and he said he'd be sending money.

I never heard back from him and he no longer responds to my emails. Turns out he was full of hot air.

*shrug*

20. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I don't care if you are offended, but if you had followed the link that I gave, you would have read how a throwaway remark "I don't want to sell my domain. Give me a million dollars if you want it, or leave me alone" after being called for the twentieth time was used by some lawyers as evidence of "bad faith", and as a result Mr. Uzi Nissan lost the use of his domain www.nissan.com, which he had been using for his computer shop for many years.

21. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

If you're going around accusing someone of acting in bad faith it may be a good idea to have some actual understanding of it.

I would argue that your little nissan story is fairly different than my situation involving a common integer and a SI unit. Also, there are no lawyers involved. There has not been 20 phone calls exchanged or ignored. Lastly, I have asked for an amount of money 1/12th of what it was appraised by a private 3rd party for.

:confused: