General So this so called flat design for iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bmac4, Jun 3, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

bmac4

So I am not sure I get what is going on with this flat design thing for iOS 7? I like the look of iOS's apps and design. I have seen pictures of the flat design, and I don't understand it. Is the design they have now not what made the iPhone so iconic? There are other things I want in iOS 7 not some UI flat design like this:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370278442.414080.jpg

I know this is just some ones idea of what it could look like, but am I the only one that does not see that as a need for change? To me it just does not look that good.

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Those look badly drawn, actually. I'm not a fan.
    Did you do this or did you get it from the other threads talking about a flat design?

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

bmac4

No I found it on google search. All the flat design drawings looked about the same.

----------

Sorry if this needs to go into another thread please move it. I did not even look under the iOS section before I posted.

4. macrumors 68000

daveathall

I must admit that I am looking forward to a bit more from iOS 7 than a new icon package. Others may differ though.

5. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

That seems *FAR* more simplistic than I'm expecting.

I don't expect "reduction to pure geometric shapes", just the removal of unnecessary "3dness". So for app icons, the "rounded shading" will go away, leaving just the base icon. (Music will be dark orange note on light orange, maybe with slight gradient; weather will be "sun on blue with 73 degrees, maybe with slight gradient. But no "curved 'shine' overlay".) I expect the more skeumorphistic icons (Notes, Contacts, Compass) will get modified significantly (as Voice Memos did a few versions ago,) and that the actual applications will get a major overhaul (especially the skeumorphic ones like Voice Memos, Notes, etc.)

But not a complete removal of "detail", just a dropping of unnecessary detail.

6. macrumors 6502a

Yikes..do not want.

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

bmac4

Not saying that is what it will look like. Just a mockup of what it could. I don't like that either.

8. macrumors 6502a

9. macrumors 6502a

Lets hope for our sake Ive has a better idea. I'd hate for them to make iOS ugly as can be.

10. thread starter macrumors 68020

bmac4

11. macrumors 6502a

And nothing will. It'll be flatter and more polished but it won't move mountains. 90% of iOS users don't want or understand change, thus any UI changes need to be careful and incremental.

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

bmac4

Yea that is what I was trying to say in my OP. I think what we have now looks pretty darn good. I am looking for stuff like quick toggles, and thing I feel iOS needs badly. The design is fine. I kind of get bored with it at time, but it works. If I want something different I can just switch my sim out and put it in my nexus 4.

13. macrumors 6502a

Now if only someone would make a 4.7" phone with an iPhone 5 body and stock Jelly Bean...

14. thread starter macrumors 68020

bmac4

Yea I like both that is why I have the sim adaptor to switch back and forth. I just wish they would make a wider iPhone. That is all I ask for. Got big hands the iOS screen is just a bit small.

15. macrumors G3

charlituna

It's probably not going to go that flat. Think the current icons but without gradient backgrounds, drop shadows, reflections.

----------

That photo has been out there for a while. Allegedly it is a very early idea. Might even precede Jony taking over.

16. macrumors 6502

Apple should switch to 8 bit graphics.

17. macrumors 68030

BvizioN

Not a freaking chance!! Not if Jony Eve is having anything to do with it.

18. macrumors 603

Have no fear. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are not behind the UI development.

19. Oz.
    macrumors regular

Oz.

I don't think that apple will go with this flat design s h i *