Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
...any things I should look after? Like is it really necessary to use a screenprotector, or does it fine without?

Any things I should now?

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I havent needed a screen protector (bought mine in June) but a case or cover is a must.

I think the leather covers are best...they protect the iPad and can also be used to prop it up when needed.

Enjoy

merics

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
Bahrain
...any things I should look after? Like is it really necessary to use a screenprotector, or does it fine without?

Any things I should now?

First of all, congrats on your purchase, you'll love it. Regarding screen protector, I have the 64G and when asking an Apple rep at the store, he stated that he never uses screen protectors on any of his devices, particularly on the iPad since the glass in his words is "the same as the windshield on a car".

Well, his advice almost swayed me in not doing so, because I've always protected my iPhone from beginning. So, I bought the Powers Support Anti-Glare screen protector and first let me say, it was truly the easiest protector I've installed and secondly, it looks very good, almost darn hard to tell it's protected, zero, and I mean ZERO bubbles......

For the best experience with apps, I only install iPad apps, no universals with exception of iBooks.

You'll enjoy it.... I haven't used my MacBook Pro since....

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009

Any things I should now?

I have had mine in the Apple Case since day 1. I never take it out. Somehow I developed a nasty scratch on my screen that actually affects the pixels color. Luckily it's not too bad but I immediately bought power support crystal film. I should have done it from day one. It's like its not even on there

Anyhow, to make a long story short, definitely recommend getting a screen protector.

mikechan1234

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Hope you enjoy your iPad, just look out for dead pixels after opening it, if you find one then take it back for a new one. Had a dead pixel on mine and took it back without hesitation. Apple case to me is an essential if you're taking it out.

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
I have had mine for about 4 months and haven't had a single scratch on the screen, however I use a griffin grip(marware Eco vue on the way) to protect rears and the back side because they can get scratched easily.
Hope you enjoy it ;)

Touchstone64

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Manchester, UK
For me: Apple case (essential prop-up when using travelling, esp. on airplane) but no screen protector. I used to have invisible shield on iPhone 3GS but my iPhone 4 and iPad are naked, and more enjoyable for it. Just my opinion :)

You'll love the iPad :)

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I use a belkin grip vue at home, and a griffin folio for traveling.

Thinking about a keyboard dock, but haven't bothered yet.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
If you're prone to excessive clumsiness or will be using the ipad in anything other than normal circumstances, a screen protector is not recommended. — It lowers screen fidelity ever so slightly and some argue it makes it more difficult to run your fingers easily over the screen. :)

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks for all the feedback. Most likely, tomorrow around this time I will have got an iPad in my hands! :D

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Oh, one more question. When using the YouTube app over 3G, the image quality is lower (just like on the iPhone). On the iPhone I therefor use m.youtube.com (which also does high quality image over 3G). Does m.youtube.com also work great on the iPad? :)

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
I am really on the fence about buying an iPad currently. I know I will get one eventually. I would use it everyday, and it would increase productivity for both work and school. I am wondering if I should wait for gen 2. I don't care about a camera. My biggest concerns are that the current RAM and processor are not good enough for multitasking. What does everyone think about the current gen for multitasking?

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I am really on the fence about buying an iPad currently. I know I will get one eventually. I would use it everyday, and it would increase productivity for both work and school. I am wondering if I should wait for gen 2. I don't care about a camera. My biggest concerns are that the current RAM and processor are not good enough for multitasking. What does everyone think about the current gen for multitasking?

The current 4.2 beta 1 works great on the current gen iPad. I can't detect lag but I do know the memory can fill up since the memory management program I use has shown the memory being maxed when several programs have been open.

Again, I haven't really noticed a decrease of speed because of this but I'm sure having more memory would help the iPad. I wouldn't be concerned with the processor - and I would personally go ahead and buy an iPad if you are really wanting to purchase. I suspect the new generation won't come out till next spring and if there is a memory bump I will definitely buy the new one.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
And I've got it! It's really awesome to use and anyone who says the ipad is just a big iPod touch or iPhone has not spent enough time with it. :)

Posted from my 32GB 3G iPad

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
And I've got it! It's really awesome to use and anyone who says the ipad is just a big iPod touch or iPhone has not spent enough time with it. :)

Posted from my 32GB 3G iPad

Or has spent too LITTLE time with it. I kid...kinda.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i personally have the apple case and invisishield on the front. i'm just anal about scratches and such.

i like the apple case a lot because it doesn't add a lot of bulk to the unit and ergonomically it works well. the rubber surface does pick up dirt easily and needs to be cleaned regularly.

the invisishield has a little orange peel quality to it when the unit is off, but it's unoticeable (to me) when i'm using the ipad. the feel is a little "stickery" than the naked screen, but it doesn't bother me.

the two things i'd consider is upgrading to the 64GB and perhaps buying the camera connector kit. the 64GB will "only" be $100 more. for me, i could never have enough space and you would make most of that back upon resale anyway. the camera connector kit is kinda of cool if you like to point, shoot and upload on the fly. i have yet to purchase this as i like to post process on the computer before i upload. and if i do need to post something on the fly, i have my iphone.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
I sincerely hope you enjoy using it as much as I enjoy using mine, it's a great device! Congrats!
Today I noticed a dead pixel, and it's really annoying. Apple's excuse? I quote (translated from Dutch): "Dead pixels can occure on a device with so many pixels. You can only get a replacement when more dead pixels occure (>5)."

Alternatively I can go to the shop where I bought it (it's not an Apple Store - there are non in The Netherlands) and try to get it swopped (but changes are small). So tomorrow I'll have to go back with my iPad again :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.