So we can't use Chrome on the new RMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smiller4128, Jun 16, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I keep hearing about this and it makes me a little nervous as I almost always use Chrome as my main web browser. I'm hearing that it's crashing the new RMBP's and such? It's not a terrible thing as I can use Safari which is extremely similar, but it's kind of a bummer :/

2. macrumors member

At least google is working actively getting on it working. I'm p. sure there's a retina display option or something in the latest nightly release or so I've heard. Think about us Firefox guys this is going to take months before everything looks alright

3. macrumors member

I'm using Chrome Canary with no issues.

4. macrumors newbie

i am using chrome right now on my mbpr. its the canary version. i have not hit one snag with it yet!!!

5. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

You have to d/l the latest beta build. It's RMBP ready. Don't use the current release version.

6. macrumors regular

7. macrumors regular

the problem with canary is you can't make it your default browser, so clicking outside links just opens up regular chrome and it looks bad. otherwise id use canary as well.

8. macrumors regular

Sorry for asking, but - why would you use Chrome instead of Safari on your MBP? doesn't Safari have a much better trackpad and gestures support and such over Chrome?

9. macrumors regular

better extensions, search in the address bar, no lag when scrolling are 3 quick reasons.

10. macrumors member

I was using regular Chrome and having no problems... then I remembered that I scaled my resolution to 1680x1050 and put it back. Holy crap, Chrome looks awful. Downloading Canary now - thanks, folks!

11. macrumors regular

another reason is that chrome is super fast and not as resource intensive. I never bought into the whole "chrome is faster" thing until I was using the internet provided on an amtrak train (its there, but pretty slow), i finally opened up chrome and webpages started loading in a reasonable amount o time, i was very surprised. That's the main reason i use chrome

12. thread starter macrumors member

What's Chrome Canary? Is that a separate version than the normal chrome or is it an update?

13. macrumors 65816

NZed

Are you sure about the better extensions? From my experience, not really. The search in address bar has been in google chrome for ages already. The lag, i will have it admit chrome has it.

14. macrumors newbie

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/chromesxs

just a beta version that they have for the new macbook. its works great

15. macrumors demi-god

Ljohnson72

It's an experimental build of Google Chrome that is updated nightly. Not as stable as Chrome Beta, but it's not bad. I'm using it on my RMBP with no issues.

16. macrumors demi-god

/dev/toaster

Chrome is far faster with an exceptionally faster Javascript engine. Not to mention, far better dev tools.

17. macrumors member

18. macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Read that again... he's explaining why Chrome is better than Safari because it has better extensions, the omnibar and no lag. Not the other way 'round ;)

At least two of those issues are solved in ML. I'm finding Safari 6 to be smooth as Chrome is and of course there's Apple's implementation of the Omnibar too.

19. macrumors 6502a

what? he was talking about chrome being better than safari, not vice versa. and they're talking about chrome canary, not the 'normal' version right now.

20. macrumors 6502a

Because Google knows how to code a browser, whereas Safari eats all your memory and then moves on to your hard drive.

21. macrumors regular

I have had a couple issues with Chrome Canary refusing to load web pages and I had to delete it and reinstall it in order to get it to work properly.

Y2J

22. macrumors 6502

Well get ready to use Canary because it is possible to make it your default browser. What you do is install Canary, then open up Safari and in the options in Safari you can pick Canary as your default browser. I forget exactly where, and I can't check because I'm at work, but there's a drop down list somewhere in your preferences/options that lets you choose it.

23. macrumors newbie

I'd suggesting downloading the chrome beta. They have added retina support. Unless of course you're on the canary for other reasons...

24. macrumors 65816

Nostromo

No lag even on the rMBP? So this is just a Safari thing? I thought it concerned all browsers because of the huge processing load to the GPU by the high res display.

25. macrumors 6502

I think what may be confusing to some folks, is that chrome also has a "beta" version, but it seems that the chrome 22 (canary) is the only version to support retina right now.

If i'm wrong, maybe others will chime in and correct me.