Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjiangweilan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
If we want the KabyLake installed on the new rMBR, then we have to wait until the Q1 of 2017?
If Apple releases the new rMBR this Oct. or Nov. we will have a non-up-to-date CPU, right?
:(

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Technically, but it doesn't really matter. The speed differences aren't significant. Apparently Kaby Lake has DRM support (ew) for 4K streaming down the road, and integrated Thunderbolt 3 (which the rMB will benefit from, the MBP has space for a separate controller) but other than that it's not a big release.

Also, KL doesn't have the necessary graphics support for the 15", so if I had to guess, Apple will upgrade to Skylake now and the MBP won't get updated again til Coffee lake.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If we want the KabyLake installed on the new rMBR, then we have to wait until the Q1 of 2017?
If Apple releases the new rMBR this Oct. or Nov. we will have a non-up-to-date CPU, right?

I don't even understand what your asking. Your assuming the Mac won't be up to date?

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
He doesn't want to buy a brand new MBP and then have a new one come out a few months later with a new CPU. And that makes sense, assuming the latest is always better. Why not wait a few more months after all this time? But at this point I think it's safe to say that if Apple updates the MBP to SL this year, they won't update it to KL for quite a while, if ever.

Reactions: andreyush

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
If you're looking for rMBP 15", then it's safe to buy the Skylake one that is hopefully coming out this month. Intel roadmap doesn't show a suitable Kaby Lake CPU to replace the Skylake in this niche so it's unlikely there will be a 7th generation rMBP 15" anytime soon. My current implication is that Intel will just update Skylake CPU for rMBP 15" next year like it did three years in a row with Haswell and Apple will just use it, and IMHO this might happen as early as early 2017 or mid-2017. Technically it'd still be the best mobile quad-core i7 Intel CPU but I see no reason to postpone buying the rMBP for this.

If you're looking for rMBP 13", then it's a little bit more difficult. IMHO Intel will release a suitable Kaby Lake however this will happen no earlier than mid-2017. I'd still not wait half a year more for this. Kaby Lake is an incremental update, Skylake is going to be as future-proof as Kaby Lake will be. If we were talking for something like January release then this might have been justifiable but this timeframe is out of question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.