So what are the current iPod 5G rumors?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Gherkin, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

I assume that the 5G will almost definitely be released before Christmas this year?

If so, any ideas on when? Isn't there any Apple show later this month? Any chance of it being there?

Are video and larger HDs pretty much the only speculation right now?

2. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Somebody said something about Video and gave the month of Oct. :D

3. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Firstly, i don't think Apple will release any sort of iPod this year whatsoever...you want the video iPod? Yeah, wait till next year...

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

That's correct, the Nano was just released. I see no reason why the iPod original will get updated this year.

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Except it has been basically the same for a year now and they probably aren't selling well.

6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Actually I think prices have come down now that the two full size iPod lines have merged.

On one hand, I can't see anything iPod with this nano announcement. At the very least, Jobs views this a "the biggest revolution since the original" so I don't see him rushing anything video (which he hates) out the door. However, its also the year of HD, and id love to see an iPod to take advantage of H264. Plus the nano has a few modern features the flagship 'Pods lack. Not that this is a big deal, but I would expect the full size iPods to lead the pack most of the time.

7. Elrond39 macrumors 6502

I'm still banking on a small design-change, capacities upped (20/40/80), and before Christmas.

8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I read an article a few months back when apple announced the Intel switch that said that part of the reason apple swithced to Intel was so they could use intel processing power inside there next gen iPod, maybe you can google the article.....According to this theory definatly no new iPods this year....

Maybe we will be surprised and find that the iPod will become the first apple product with Intel Inside,

ShadOW

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What Steve Jobs says publicly is often far from the case in order to keep competitors in the dark, I guess.

I would bet my bottom dollar that there are video/media iPod prototypes in those labs -- whether they can make 'em work and sell them at a consumer-friendly price point is another matter.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Apple will release iPod A/V when sales of iPods flatline.

11. Elrond39 macrumors 6502

Guess we'll be waiting for a long time then....unless the flatline is the top of an s-curve instead.......

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I would expect 5G iPods no earlier than February.

13. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Did anyone else see the post off a guy on here that pretty much predicted the nano. He had some very specific details about it about a month before it was released that largely went ignored.

He said the next (possibly video) ipod update was around October 7th and that it would be primarily music videos and film trailers.

Also, does anyone remember the TIME article where they hinted that there was untapped functionality in the iPod. More or less saying it just needed unlocking. Nothing more was heard about it though.

Here's the article:
    http://www.time.com/time/gadget/20040728/

14. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I saw the post. It's in the Nano release thread.