So, what are we going to get at MWSF?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dferigmu, Dec 8, 2004.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2004
    Washington, DC
    So far I have heard the following possibilities:

- iPod flash
    - iPod mini update
    - Xserve update
    - iLife update

Am I right? Wrong?
  2. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Don't think there'll be an iLife update, but possibly a Keynote update.

Not a lot of new stuff Mac-wise... but then, we've had a busy year. Apple definitely has moved away from introing new hardware at shows.
  3. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    I will cross my fingers for when the products actually ship in a 1-2 week time frame after the keynote. :)
  4. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    If you look at the Buyer's guide of, the first 4 products are due for an update, and these are only hardware, not software. Obviously some of this stuff will be updated, but some will be left for the few months after MWSF.
  5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I'll tell you what I think we are NOT going to get: A release date for Tiger.

Why do I think this, you ask? Well, let me explain.

Lately, whenever Apple announces a timeframe, they always release the product at the end of that time frame or late.

For example, Apple said the European iTMS would open in October. It opened almost at the end of October. Then they said that the Canadian iTMS would open in November. It opened on December 1. Apple also said the XSan storage system would be available in the Fall of 2004, but now it appears that it won't be released until January of 2005.

So, Apple says Tiger will be released in the "first half of 2005." I predict we won't see it released until WWDC in June.
  6. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    It will probably be the same ole, same ole. It will mostly be about the iTunes Music Store and the iPod. I guess Apple could care less about its computers anymore. :(
  7. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    We will probably have a powerbook speed bump too. :D
  8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Hey, we'll know when we know. Since when does any of the really good stuff get predicted ahead of time? The big difference I expect will be a shift of emphasis away from the Mac and towards the iPod.
  9. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    you mean iPWSF, right?

What we WILL get:
    • more Tiger updates
    • Keynote 2!
    • Xserve upgrades

one more thing...

• iPod micro - 1GB, 15 hr battery, $179, funky new colors (purple, yellow, bright blue, orange, black)

and to go along with that...

• iPod mini update - 6GB, 12 hr battery, same price and colors

What we WON'T get:
    • iLife '05 - something to spruce up Spring - think March
    • PowerBook upgrade - minor update in March is my guess - low fanfare announcement for what will be a minimal boost in spec (.2 GHz clock bump, 80GB 5400 hdd stnd., backlit kybd stnd., $100 price drop)
    • eMac G5 upgrade - that won't happen until rev b iMac (WWDC)
    • Tiger release date - still 1H 2005 (WWDC)
  10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    iLife 05, Keynote 2.0, Appleworks 7 (X), Xserves, iPod mini, Tiger release date (Time frame), iPod stats ... as always... :rolleyes: , iPod games from iTMS, ipod accesories, New BT mouse (BT & Laser), iPod tiny/micro, Virtual PC presentation, some games demos, IBM partnership announcement,
    and one more thing, boom ;)
  11. Squire macrumors 68000

Jan 8, 2003
    I agree with you. (And, for what it's worth, I think the flash-based iPod will look like a pocket watch. You hang it around your neck and open it to scroll through the songs-- click wheel on one side, small screen on the other.)

I also think they'll introduce some sort of remote. I just got an iPod photo last week and was astonished to see no remote in the box. My guess is that they have some new iPod/AirPort Express remote in the works.