So...What can I do with RSS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DTphonehome, May 2, 2005.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Just installed my delayed Tiger, and am exploring the new features. I am intrigued by RSS with Safari. I know it's been around for a while (for other browsers), but what can I actually do with it? It just seems like Safari puts up a page with headlines on it. Is that all it does? I thought it would give me a little newsticker-like window with headlines from all my regular websites scrolling across it (which would update automatically), so I don't have to keep a big Safari window open. Before Tiger, I just made a bookmark folder with my regular sites in it, and then click "open in tabs". How is RSS an improvement over this?

--DT

2. andrewfee macrumors 6502

It depends on the site. Some sites post the full articles, wheras others just post headlines, or the first one or two lines of the article.
    Personally I prefer it when they post the full thing, as you can then use Safari to show as much or as little of it as you want.

Basically it's a nice way to gather all the information from a lot of different sites and put it into one page, which is easily navigated.

It's also a lot easier to read than many sites.