So...What can I do with RSS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DTphonehome, May 2, 2005.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Apr 4, 2003
    Just installed my delayed Tiger, and am exploring the new features. I am intrigued by RSS with Safari. I know it's been around for a while (for other browsers), but what can I actually do with it? It just seems like Safari puts up a page with headlines on it. Is that all it does? I thought it would give me a little newsticker-like window with headlines from all my regular websites scrolling across it (which would update automatically), so I don't have to keep a big Safari window open. Before Tiger, I just made a bookmark folder with my regular sites in it, and then click "open in tabs". How is RSS an improvement over this?

2. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    It depends on the site. Some sites post the full articles, wheras others just post headlines, or the first one or two lines of the article.
    Personally I prefer it when they post the full thing, as you can then use Safari to show as much or as little of it as you want.

Basically it's a nice way to gather all the information from a lot of different sites and put it into one page, which is easily navigated.

It's also a lot easier to read than many sites.