So... what do we think...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cyberobin, Jan 26, 2005.

1. cyberobin macrumors newbie

After spending an entire night in my car in -20 degree cold my 3G 20gb ipod died and, it seems, nothing will bring her back to life.

It's killing me not having it.

But, not by nature, I am trying to be a frugal person. Do we think revisions to the ipod will come in the next 3 or 4 months? Will they be worth the wait? Will they just be price drops? Will they be a 5th generation?

I've told myself that I can go 3 or four months without it... but if the revision is saving $50 then I'll be shooting myself for wasting all that time fumbling for CDs in the car.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

From what I've gathered here and on other Mac rumor sites, the appearance of a 5th generation iPod between now and WWDC 2005 seems perfectly reasonable. Some of the rumors are suggesting about 3 months from now as a probable timeframe for the release of the next iPod. Specs are more sketchy, though. The appearance of an 80 GB iPod and/or iPod Photo seems almost certain with the next update, but beyond that, not much is known.

3. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Did you turn it on while it was still cold? Hard drives usually don't like that. They have certain temperature and humidity bounds in order to get the right air bearing between head and disk surface. We're talking nanometers here. Maybe you should have given it time to warm up before turning it on. But this isn't really helpful for your situation.

4. dnnx macrumors member

make sure you are in a warm place and leave the ipod charging overnight.

I regularly uncharge my ipod and not charge it for a while (i forget), and it soemtimes takes a while but it does charge. use the AC adapter not the firewire cable to charge this time. Sometimes the FW wont work when it is like this.

5. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

My 1st generation iPod broke, I sent it back, and they sent me a brand new 2nd generation. Depending on how long you've had your iPod for (if less than a year) then I'd email Apple to see if you can return it. Its worth a shot, it worked for me. ;)

6. cyberobin thread starter macrumors newbie

been over a year...

Well -- it's been well over a year and when I walk through the apple.com repair process they say it will be $275 to fix it -- I imagine they'll just send me a new 4G 20gb.... but I can get the edu price for the same amount.

I did indeed turn it on while it was cold. Maybe that is what did it. I'll try charging it up again and seeing what happens.... but I've tried alot. It goes form ! folder to disk mode and the computer never reads it.

7. cyberobin thread starter macrumors newbie

waddaya know....

I'll be darned. I just went to the best buy to get something for work and they had an "open item" completely unused 40gb for $299. I wimped out and didn't get it thinking I can wait.... I can wait... I can wait....

I'm $#%&ing kicking myself.

I can wait... I can wait.... I can wait....