So what mac people ski?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AP_piano295, Jan 30, 2007.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I figure that some mac people ski (actually i'd guess a significant number) you guys loving this awful season :rolleyes:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I haven't even bothered heading up to Tahoe yet this year...a combination of too much work and not enough snow. I'll probably start heading up in a few weeks no matter what though...gotta get some turns in this year.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I ski in St Moritz...I also snowboard, but thats a whole other kettle of fish

Toodleoo

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I went to Killington and Mount Snow in Vermont, Ski Sundown in Connecticut, and Butternut in Mass.

I just got a new pair of skis and boots this season. I LOVE them. I'll post pics later but I have Nordica Dobermann Pro's and Nordica The Beast 10 Boots. I love the skis, they are parabolic, sharp, and stiff- they are the most fun skis I've ever had.

5. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

If it keeps up like this the choice wont be up to you Tahoe's reporting a 12 inch base at the moment = possible closing

what kind of gear you riding on?

6. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

I agree Tahoe is horrible this year. I do enjoy the fact that all my friends decided to get passes this year, while I held out. I don't think it's supposed to snow for at least the forseevable future.
    Oh, and by the way- snowboarding all the way. Burton Supermodel circa 1999.

7. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Niice I was looking at the Dobermann Pro 14 boots while shopping recently but they were a bit heavy very much race oriented and I'm more of a free rider how do the skiis handle pow?

8. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

X-Country ok here in the Laurentians, north of Montreal. Most of the downhill is artificial snow. BUT, heading back to Whistler in March:D One of my favorite places to ski is Lake Louise, splitting between the Chateau Lake Louise or Banff Springs. The Chateau is one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

9. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ughh boarders...jk I really have no problem with them though out east (I am a skiier stuck in VA at the moment) we have a very high precentage of snow boarders who have no Idea wtf theyre doing, and the only reason they board is because they think it makes them cool.

I still havent tried boarding i've been meaning to but since i have all my own ski gear it pains me to waste money on rentals :rolleyes:

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

in the past i was swearing by Kästle but they went bankrupt sadly

last years i haven't got much skiing despise the fact i'm austrian so i'm not that "at home" on the new carving skis like i were on the only slightly curved skis

i mostly prefer comfortable and soft rides so i mostly have a hard hard time when going out skiing with my father, who normally rents the big guns since he knows the store owner

category A skis by HEAD or Atomic are perhaps too much for me, but it was worth the experience

11. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My Beast 10 boots are pretty light and are stiff but offer enough flex to make it comfortable. I got them on sale for $400 including tax and binding adjustment.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been much powder around here. There has been no natural snow what so ever. They are somewhat wide in the front so they would do ok but they are not made for it. They're a GS ski not a powder ski.

As a free rider I hope you don't mean one of those people that weaves all the way accross the mountain going 1mph cutting off everyone behind you. ;)

12. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I did a little Snowboarding here and there for the past 3-4 years, but decided to try the ski's this season.

.... but I only ski, as I can't ride with all this snow!

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Love skiing. Been doing it for many years.

Shiga Kogen was nice this year! :D

May try snowboarding sometime.

Attached Files:

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Been skiing every year since I was three, went to The Canyons's in Utah this year; its a pretty big resort.

Attached Files:

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Lots of boarders like that in SoCal too. Same goes for some skiers as well. Head to the local "commuter" mountains (like Big Bear which is 'bout 2hrs outside of LA) and you get a lot of weekend skiers/boarders that are more a hazard than anything else.
    Not very much of that, in my experience, at places like Whistler or Sun Valley 'cause of the expense of going their weeds out most of the "weekend" types.

I board and get pretty antsy sometimes at Big Bear 'cause of getting blind-sided or nearly blind-sided in the past.

Lethal

16. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

No I mean I tackle pretty much ever bit of the mountain, pow, groomed, bumps, and when I'm done with all that I pull off my atomic's strap on my fujatives and hit the park.

As for 1mph well I dont consider it a good day if I havent been yelled at by ski patrol at least once ;)

17. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah deff know what you mean my total of snowboarder accidents is now 3 (hit from behind knocked me roight off my feat and most snowboarders wear helmets which doubles the fun)

And last weekend I almost killed a snowboarder who was laying at the bottom of a big jump in the park. He must have been laying there for a minute or more because my and I friend were planning out what we were going to try, I didnt see him untill I was at the top so I did something (still dont know what) to miss him and crashed pretty baddly to the left of the jump on the flats. I then got up and cussed out the boarder which I felt bad about later in the day but it sure made me feel better at the time :eek:

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i love to ski....but i haven't been in a few years....no one to go with me....

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Been a great season out here. Vancouver/Whistler/Mt. Washington all been bedy, bedy good to me.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I ski, but recently have been trying snowboarding. I'm going up with my school on thursday, but the snow will be horrible.:(

21. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Yeah. Where do you guys go? Do you have to pay for your own ticket? If so, try talking the instructor into going to Boringhill...uh, I mean Boreal.

22. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Well that is good to know. There is nothing I hate more than those people that carve back soo slowly but fast enough to make you nervous to pass them. Its not too bad when the mountain is empty but when its crowded and their are 5000000 people doing that people get hurt. For instance, when I was up at Killington (vt) it was thanksgiving time and like 3 runs were open and there were a zillion people. I was going fast, this guy and lady cut me off, they both hit eachother, I turned quickly and was able to avoid them. The glare on the snow made it hard to see a large lump of snow until the last second and I didn't jump at all so I flipped forward, did a superman dive and slid. I got up and some guy stopped to ask if I was ok. As soon as he said "ok" he got plowed through by some other skier. It was ridiculous.

and for the record. I hate snow boarders too. all they do is sit on their @$$es. haahah.

23. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Hey, hey. Not all of us are developmentally disabled. Having a freeride board (that means more speed less hops) actually lets me keep up with all my skiing friends. After 8 years of it, I'm usually sitting on my @$$ waiting for them to get down the hill.

24. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Very true I find alot of western snowboarders are perfectly accomplished it's these eastern brats who dont know WHAT they are doing and then they tell you what awsome boarders they are and about at the big air they get...and most importantly how sorry they are about headbuting you because they were completely out of control heading down that blue. :p

So do you have this alpine set up i've been seeing more of lately? Hard boots and such, actually looks way more like a ski settup?

25. D34th macrumors regular

I have a house at Mount Snow in Vermont...go up every weekend, have been since I was two. Slow winter this year and last but they finally have gotten the cold weather to make some decent snow (I'll take any snow at this point). Actually looking forward to one of the best weekends for a while this up coming weekend. Should be decent.