Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which new smartphone are you waiting on?

• Motorola X Phone

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Google Nexus 5

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • iPhone 5S

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Samsung Galaxy S4

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • HTC One

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
So now that the HTC One, and Samsung Galaxy S4 are being released to the public. Which smartphone are you waiting for? Assuming you're not getting either of those two, which one is it? Motorola X Phone, Note 3, Nexus 5, or something else all together? Me personally waiting on the Note 3. My S3 is in great condition, and will hold out until the Note 3 is released. The S4 is too much of an "S" upgrade for me to take the plunge.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So now that the HTC One, and Samsung Galaxy S4 are being released to the public. Which smartphone are you waiting for? Assuming you're not getting either of those two, which one is it? Motorola X Phone, Note 3, Nexus 5, or something else all together? Me personally waiting on the Note 3. My S3 is in great condition, and will hold out until the Note 3 is released. The S4 is too much of an "S" upgrade for me to take the plunge.

all of the phones you mentioned with the addition of the 5S. Not for the phone itself, but to see what IOS 7 brings.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm waiting less for a phone and more for my subsidy to kick in, that is I bought a iPhone 5 last year, so I have a year to go before I'm willing to buy a new phone.

I like the HTC 1, and the Note II but not enough to buy them at full price. I may opt for an iPhone 6 in 2014 but since the 5S is not even out yet I'm hesitant to mention that tidbit since the specs of the 5S are not released, never mind the 6

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Can you edit the poll to allow multiple choices ? ;)

I wait to see what the Note 3, Motorola X and the iPhone 5S brings to the table, and if any of them will make me want to try something different again.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Can you edit the poll to allow multiple choices ? ;)

I wait to see what the Note 3, Motorola X and the iPhone 5S brings to the table, and if any of them will make me want to try something different again.

Haha, wish I could. Agreed, there are a lot of really great choices coming soon. The S4, and HTC One look great, but I'm going to sit this round out until some other phones are released, and then make my choice for 2013.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
isn't the nexus 5 and the x phone the same thing? Meaning the next android vanilla phone?

Why would Google partner with an OEM to make a phone when they have bought a Hardware company to do that.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I'm really liking what I'm seeing from the HTC One so far, that said, I'm probably going to pick it up next week. I like the Galaxy S4 too but I think it's just bigger than I care for. I love the software value ads that the Galaxy comes with more so than any other company, just not as big of a fan of the design and plastic body.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
X Phone or Nexus 5 for me. Don't think I'll ever want to go to a non Google phone.

----------

isn't the nexus 5 and the x phone the same thing? Meaning the next android vanilla phone?

Why would Google partner with an OEM to make a phone when they have bought a Hardware company to do that.

Nexus 5 will be a developers phone, X Phone will be a carrier phone much like the GS4, HTC One, and iPhone.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
X Phone or Nexus 5 for me. Don't think I'll ever want to go to a non Google phone.

----------

Nexus 5 will be a developers phone, X Phone will be a carrier phone much like the GS4, HTC One, and iPhone.

Damn I liked the look of the x phone

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
After having bought and sold an HTC One, I was going to plump straight for an S4 - but the price has really put me off.

I'd wait for a second hand S4 on eBay, but by that time the X Phone and Note 3 will start to arrive.

To be honest, if Apple released a bigger screen and improved iOS 7, I'd be perfectly happy.

Otherwise I'm going to buy a Note 2 off eBay for about £300. That would do me for a year, I'm sure.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm not waiting for anyone per se, but I'm most excited about the Moto X Phone.

Second place would be the Nexus, of course. I plan to one day return to a Nexus device. Just don't want to run into LG again.

lulz @ iPhone 5S. So uninterested. iOS 7, however, could be interesting.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I am not waiting for anything other than the Google I/O in may. I have the nexus 4 and can't wait to see what KLP brings to the table. I also have the note 2, so I am pretty much set for a while. I do want to see what the xphone is all about, but I have a feeling that it is just going to be another Version exclusive Droid phone. No thanks if that is the case. Other than me using my note 2 skinned phones do nothing for me.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Nexus 5, just to see how Google will disappoint this time when it comes to hardware.

I am 50/50 between GS4 and One so far. ZL's screen made it quit the poll for me (yes i have seen it in person) and moto phones will probably show up in early fall which is too far to get my android fix.

Most probably i will get the GS4, as i think the snapdragon 600 GS4 will get AOKP pretty fast. Stock android + great hardware = win!. If the One gets a way to get stable AOKP though, i might just get that.

appletoandroid

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
Nexus 5, just to see how Google will disappoint this time when it comes to hardware.

I am 50/50 between GS4 and One so far. ZL's screen made it quit the poll for me (yes i have seen it in person) and moto phones will probably show up in early fall which is too far to get my android fix.

Most probably i will get the GS4, as i think the snapdragon 600 GS4 will get AOKP pretty fast. Stock android + great hardware = win!. If the One gets a way to get stable AOKP though, i might just get that.

Skip the One. They pulled an LG and tried to copy Apple halfway. Aluminum back, plastic sides. Glass back, soft plastic sides. But hey, HTC obviously fooled a lot of people I'd say.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Wow your really have no idea what you are talking about do you? The nexus line of phones are not for people like you. You want the next big trick a OEM can throw in front of your face. The nexus phones are developer phones made for people that don't need things spoon feed to them. If you are looking for something where the OEM does all the work than look no further than Apple, and Samsung. Oh and HTC for that matter. If you need someone tell you how to take a picture, and how your phone should function then those phone makers are just for you.

What more can you ask for at $350 outright?

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Wow your really have no idea what you are talking about do you? The nexus line of phones are not for people like you. You want the next big trick a OEM can throw in front of your face. The nexus phones are developer phones made for people that don't need things spoon feed to them. If you are looking for something where the OEM does all the work than look no further than Apple, and Samsung. Oh and HTC for that matter. If you need someone tell you how to take a picture, and how your phone should function then those phone makers are just for you.

What more can you ask for at $350 outright?

The value of the Nexus 4 is great, but it is a phone that leaves something to be desired in a few areas.

I personally don't mind paying a little extra for, say, more storage options. Why not offer a 32gb Nexus 4 for $399 or $420 or something?

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
The value of the Nexus 4 is great, but it is a phone that leaves something to be desired in a few areas.

I personally don't mind paying a little extra for, say, more storage options. Why not offer a 32gb Nexus 4 for $399 or $420 or something?

Yea but you have to understand what the nexus program is for. It is not for the normal consumer that is looking for the latest technology in smartphone cameras. It is there for OEMs to see what the new android has to offer, and for developers to use. Also this one was made so they could sell it cheap. I know going into buying a nexus phone I want have the most premium phone on the market. I don't care what I care about is having the latest stock android.

I think people base the nexus line sometimes on what the other OEMs are making and assume it should be like them. It is not. The nexus program is a stepping stone for the OEM to make their phones, and for tech people like me that want stock android and a phone that works.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yea but you have to understand what the nexus program is for. It is not for the normal consumer that is looking for the latest technology in smartphone cameras. It is there for OEMs to see what the new android has to offer, and for developers to use. Also this one was made so they could sell it cheap. I know going into buying a nexus phone I want have the most premium phone on the market. I don't care what I care about is having the latest stock android.

I think people base the nexus line sometimes on what the other OEMs are making and assume it should be like them. It is not. The nexus program is a stepping stone for the OEM to make their phones, and for tech people like me that want stock android and a phone that works.

I hear ya. Believe me, I'm a big believer of the Nexus program.

It does seem, to me, that Google is trying to position the Nexus phones as consumer-friendly, though. I mean, a quick visit to the Play Store site for the Nexus 4 I think really highlights the point. There's not a lot of "developer talk." If anything, it looks more like an Apple-esque page.

I think the Nexus program has changed since the popularity of the Nexus 7. I think Google is trying to position it as a consumer-friendly device, carrier-free, affordable, which I think is great.

Just wish they'd give us more options. Google themselves have stated they will put a serious camera in the next Nexus, too.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I hear ya. Believe me, I'm a big believer of the Nexus program.

It does seem, to me, that Google is trying to position the Nexus phones as consumer-friendly, though. I mean, a quick visit to the Play Store site for the Nexus 4 I think really highlights the point. There's not a lot of "developer talk." If anything, it looks more like an Apple-esque page.

I think the Nexus program has changed since the popularity of the Nexus 7. I think Google is trying to position it as a consumer-friendly device, carrier-free, affordable.

Just wish they'd give us more options. Google themselves have stated they will put a serious camera in the next Nexus, too.

See I could careless about a great camera. I want something that I can take a quick shot of it I need to. People are always talking about how great the iPhone 5's camera is. I never really used it that much.

I guess Google has decided to go after your normal every day consumer, but they just don't get the nexus phones. Stock android is just that very stock. If you want it to be different you have to do that. Most people want it different right out of the box. Like the iPhone when you buy it that is what it will always look like. Sure you can put a picture as the wallpaper or move the icons around, but people don't want to do too much work to get that point. Stock android takes just a little bit more from the user to change it, and I think that is why I don't call it a consumer phone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
See I could careless about a great camera. I want something that I can take a quick shot of it I need to. People are always talking about how great the iPhone 5's camera is. I never really used it that much.

I guess Google has decided to go after your normal every day consumer, but they just don't get the nexus phones. Stock android is just that very stock. If you want it to be different you have to do that. Most people want it different right out of the box. Like the iPhone when you buy it that is what it will always look like. Sure you can put a picture as the wallpaper or move the icons around, but people don't want to do too much work to get that point. Stock android takes just a little bit more from the user to change it, and I think that is why I don't call it a consumer phone.

I am not discussing software. I'm a lover of stock Android.

This is about the Nexus program being positioned to appeal as much, if not more, to consumers than ever before; and about the shortcomings of the Nexus phone as such.

I have no doubt a 32GB Nexus 4 priced higher would have sold like hotcakes. As for the camera, again, even Google themselves are planning to commit to a better camera in future Nexus devices. This is a good thing for all interested.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I am not discussing software.

OK well then go buy yourself an iPhone with a great camera if you are so worry about it. I believe the camera has something to do with the software. Also Google is never going to add that much storage they are pushing for club storage, so if you don't like that then you might want to find another phone as well.

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
I'm trying to hold out for a bigger screen iPhone. I'm still sporting my 4S....if Apple doesn't get bigger I may try a GS 4.... Hate to even think of that.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
With all the great phones coming up I have a few Android models I'm planning on buying.

But actually waiting on? Like with great interest?

iPhone.... whatever it is. Whenever it is...

Whatever they decide to call it, I simply don't care.

As long as it has a display that's 4.8" or greater I will be extremely happy with Apple.

(forget the 5S or even the 6, if Apple doesn't increase display size as above)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
OK well then go buy yourself an iPhone with a great camera if you are so worry about it. I believe the camera has something to do with the software. Also Google is never going to add that much storage they are pushing for club storage, so if you don't like that then you might want to find another phone as well.

... okay. Not sure what's with the hostility.

Also not sure why you'd resist the idea of Nexus phones getting better. Bizarre behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.