Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which new smartphone are you waiting on?

• Motorola X Phone

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Google Nexus 5

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • iPhone 5S

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Samsung Galaxy S4

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • HTC One

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
... okay. Not sure what's with the hostility.

Also not sure why you'd resist the idea of Nexus phones getting better. Bizarre behavior.

Well everything I said in the post before your comment was only "I am not discussing software" kind of crazy. So I was pointing out the fact that the camera is part software so if you want to bring that up you are going to have to talk some what about software.

Yes the nexus phones can improve, but in the ways you want I am not so sure. Maybe they do have a better camera that would be great for the people who use their smartphones as their primary camera. I am not one of those people. Asking for more storage is not going to happen though. Look at the last 3 nexus devices. They are not adding storage. The Verizon gnex 32g does not count because it was a carrier phone that Verizon wanted.

It sounds like to me you want a carrier phone, but with that is ruins the whole nexus experience. After the Verizon gnex crap Google will never lower themselves to carrier demands again.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Well everything I said in the post before your comment was only "I am not discussing software" kind of crazy. So I was pointing out the fact that the camera is part software so if you want to bring that up you are going to have to talk some what about software.

Yes the nexus phones can improve, but in the ways you want I am not so sure. Maybe they do have a better camera that would be great for the people who use their smartphones as their primary camera. I am not one of those people. Asking for more storage is not going to happen though. Look at the last 3 nexus devices. They are not adding storage. The Verizon gnex 32g does not count because it was a carrier phone that Verizon wanted.

It sounds like to me you want a carrier phone, but with that is ruins the whole nexus experience. After the Verizon gnex crap Google will never lower themselves to carrier demands again.

... All right. You keep bringing up straw mans and things that I'm not against. How does this have anything to do with carriers?

If Google can make a phone that offers 8GBs, 16GBs, and tablets that offer 16GBs, and 32GBs, they can make a Nexus smartphone that offers more than just 8GB or 16GB regardless of what happens with carriers or not. Why wouldn't they be able to? Why do you sound like you think this would be difficult to do? Likewise, why do you sound like you think adding a better camera would be difficult to do?

I don't get this. Again, even Google themselves have stated they are committed to putting a better camera in the next Nexus.

I purchased the HTC One developer's edition which is unlocked and carrier-free. Why does wanting more storage and/or better camera must mean I want a carrier phone? Makes no sense.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
... All right. You keep bringing up straw mans and things that I'm not against. How does this have anything to do with carriers?

If Google can make a phone that offers 8GBs, 16GBs, and tablets that offer 16GBs, and 32GBs, they can make a Nexus smartphone that offers more than just 8GB or 16GB regardless of what happens with carriers or not. Why wouldn't they be able to? Why do you sound like you think this would be difficult to do? Likewise, why do you sound like you think adding a better camera would be difficult to do?

I don't get this. Again, even Google themselves have stated they are committed to putting a better camera in the next Nexus.

I purchased the HTC One developer's edition which is unlocked and carrier-free. Why does wanting more storage and/or better camera must mean I want a carrier phone? Makes no sense.

Google said they are going to a more cloud based storage system with their phones. They can keep the cost down and offer a great phone. I am saying the only reason you saw a 32g version was because of Verizon. That is why I am saying you would want a carrier based phone. The One is made to meet the carriers standards and then they offer a developers edition. You will not see nexus device above 16g just want happen.

The camera thing. Sure they may very well add a better camera. I am just saying most of the people I know including me could careless about the camera on the nexus 4. I use it when I have to, but I don't depend on it. It just just fine in that way.

I am just tired of people trashing the nexus devices because it does not have big storage, or the camera is bad. Most people do not buy the nexus 4 the camera, and most people have gone to cloud based storage. What the heck do you need 32g+ for on a phone now a days?

appletoandroid

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
Google said they are going to a more cloud based storage system with their phones. They can keep the cost down and offer a great phone. I am saying the only reason you saw a 32g version was because of Verizon. That is why I am saying you would want a carrier based phone. The One is made to meet the carriers standards and then they offer a developers edition. You will not see nexus device above 16g just want happen.

The camera thing. Sure they may very well add a better camera. I am just saying most of the people I know including me could careless about the camera on the nexus 4. I use it when I have to, but I don't depend on it. It just just fine in that way.

I am just tired of people trashing the nexus devices because it does not have big storage, or the camera is bad. Most people do not buy the nexus 4 the camera, and most people have gone to cloud based storage. What the heck do you need 32g+ for on a phone now a days?

Don't kid yourself about the moniker "developer's phone." Google is a business (and LG too for that matter). "Developer's phone" is a marketing strategy, just like "retina display." Google wants their product in peoples' hands, that's why they'll continue contracting out their Nexus phone. But if you think they are simply releasing a bare bones stock phone, you're wrong. It's worth while to Google to get Android and other Google services in as many peoples' hands as possible, and if it weren't worth the time and money they would drop it.

Also, the GS3 alone outnumbers the Nexus 4 by something at least 5:1. Developers can go out and develop on the Nexus all they want, but quite frankly if it doesn't work for a GS3, they are severely limiting their app exposure.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Don't kid yourself about the moniker "developer's phone." Google is a business (and LG too for that matter). "Developer's phone" is a marketing strategy, just like "retina display." Google wants their product in peoples' hands, that's why they'll continue contracting out their Nexus phone. But if you think they are simply releasing a bare bones stock phone, you're wrong. It's worth while to Google to get Android and other Google services in as many peoples' hands as possible, and if it weren't worth the time and money they would drop it.

Also, the GS3 alone outnumbers the Nexus 4 by something at least 5:1. Developers can go out and develop on the Nexus all they want, but quite frankly if it doesn't work for a GS3, they are severely limiting their app exposure.

I understand that, but have you seen that many ads with a nexus device in them? They have grown some, but very limited. Also there is only a handful of places that you can buy a nexus device.

Sure Google is in it to sell phones, but they also are not in it to sell to the masses. To do that they would have to agree to all the carrier standards, and they want nothing to do with that. I say this phone is for developers or hardcore android users because it is not as user friendly as the S3, HTC one or any other skinned android phone.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I've been eyeing the nexus in which area does it lack?

It's a solid phone. He's being very selective and picky (he has every right to as a buyer). However, the Nexus 4 isn't the best in any particular area and it is nothing special (without tweaks) in others - in my opinion.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I'm really liking what I'm seeing from the HTC One so far, that said, I'm probably going to pick it up next week. I like the Galaxy S4 too but I think it's just bigger than I care for. I love the software value ads that the Galaxy comes with more so than any other company, just not as big of a fan of the design and plastic body.

Isn't the One physically larger than the S4? I thought that one of the biggest impressions it made was because it fit a 5" display into a very compact footprint.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
Google pissed me off by removing sd card slot from the Nexus line. :mad:

I'm sure the next nexus will be a great phone but I will go with something that has memory card support, put a custom ROM in it and basically convert it to a Nexus. Same reason for avoiding HtC One.

It would be interesting to see what Motorola can offer.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's a solid phone. He's being very selective and picky (he has every right to as a buyer). However, the Nexus 4 isn't the best in any particular area and it is nothing special (without tweaks) in others - in my opinion.

I guess I'm picky, but I really enjoyed my Nexus 4 despite its shortcomings.

The deal breaker was the choppy call quality issues it kept having, which I believe were linked to a defective microphone. After going through three replacement devices with the same issue, I gave up and asked for a full refund. I got it right away. Each time I called Google, they could hear how bad the call quality was.

It isn't T-Mobile either as I've had them for years and never experienced this and do not experience it with my iPhone 5 currently. I'm not the only Nexus 4 owner that has experienced this either. There are stories online and I know people personally who experienced the same thing (on a different network, too).

I blame LG more than I blame Google. Which is why if the Nexus 2013 is from LG, it's a pass for me.

The details are in the Nexus 4 Owners thread.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I've been eyeing the nexus in which area does it lack?

It really lacks nothing in terms of not having something, but people like to always find things they don't like about phones. Yes the camera could be better, but for most people it really does not matter. Unless you are going to load the phone with apps and music then 16gb is plenty. Storage was his other big complaint. I got the 8gb and could not be happier.

I never looked at the nexus line the same way I do things like iPhones, Samsung's, and HTC's. They are made to be sold to the masses so while having a lot of features to impress people. They also put a camera on it to impress people. The nexus line is more worry about the software. Now that they have made it a budget phone which has sold more than any other nexus. They are going to have to worry about things like the camera. To me that stuff does not matter. I want the phone cause it has stock android. That is the selling point for me.

----------

Google pissed me off by removing sd card slot from the Nexus line. :mad:

I'm sure the next nexus will be a great phone but I will go with something that has memory card support, put a custom ROM in it and basically convert it to a Nexus. Same reason for avoiding HtC One.

It would be interesting to see what Motorola can offer.

What do you need more than 16gb for? I have all my music in the cloud on Google music, and there is no way I could fill up the phone with 16gb of apps.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It really lacks nothing in terms of not having something, but people like to always find things they don't like about phones. Yes the camera could be better, but for most people it really does not matter. Unless you are going to load the phone with apps and music then 16gb is plenty. Storage was his other big complaint. I got the 8gb and could not be happier.

I never looked at the nexus line the same way I do things like iPhones, Samsung's, and HTC's. They are made to be sold to the masses so while having a lot of features to impress people. They also put a camera on it to impress people. The nexus line is more worry about the software. Now that they have made it a budget phone which has sold more than any other nexus. They are going to have to worry about things like the camera. To me that stuff does not matter. I want the phone cause it has stock android. That is the selling point for me.

And that's a great selling point. But why shouldn't the Nexus smartphone be even better? I don't get this sentiment. Even if you may not need more storage or a better camera, what would hurt to have these options and features? Do you think because you wouldn't necessarily benefit from it, others can't or won't?

I get the sense that you're very defensive about the Nexus 4. I don't think it's necessary. No one is bashing the Nexus 4. But it's not any stretch of the truth to say the camera can and should be better, or that it could offer more storage (why not? The Nexus 7 offers 32GB. Is the Nexus 7 not part of Google's grand plans for cloud-base systems?). Or that it maybe should not be made of glass -- tons of people complain that it shatters way too easily.

It's just a puzzling position you take. I mean, I get you love your Nexus 4, but I don't get this almost resistance-like attitude for the next one to be better.

----------

What do you need more than 16gb for? I have all my music in the cloud on Google music, and there is no way I could fill up the phone with 16gb of apps.

Again, the Nexus 7 offers 32 GB as does the Nexus 10. Why does Google bother? Are those devices not part of Google's cloud base plans?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Which tweaks would you recommend?

The deal breaker was the choppy call quality issues it kept having, which I believe were linked to a defective microphone. After going through three replacement devices with the same issue, I gave up and asked for a full refund. I got it right away. Each time I called Google, they could hear how bad the call quality was.

It isn't T-Mobile either as I've had them for years and never experienced this and do not experience it with my iPhone 5 currently. I'm not the only Nexus 4 owner that has experienced this either. There are stories online and I know people personally who experienced the same thing (on a different network, too).

I blame LG more than I blame Google. Which is why if the Nexus 2013 is from LG, it's a pass for me.

I'll have to read up on the horror stories.

I don't use the camera much but when I need to use it I want my pictures to look good. By no means am I a photo snob.
I'd like to see 16gb and 32gb models offered not a big deal.

What really draws me to the nexus is the 300$ unlocked price. The stock android is appealing. I tried Sense UI when android 2.2 was out I liked it.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
And that's a great selling point. But why shouldn't the Nexus smartphone be even better? I don't get this sentiment. Even if you may not need more storage or a better camera, what would hurt to have these options and features? Do you think because you wouldn't necessarily benefit from it, others can't or won't?

I get the sense that you're very defensive about the Nexus 4. I don't think it's necessary. No one is bashing the Nexus 4. But it's not any stretch of the truth to say the camera can and should be better, or that it could offer more storage (why not? The Nexus 7 offers 32GB. Is the Nexus 7 not part of Google's grand plans for cloud-base systems?). Or that it maybe should not be made of glass -- tons of people complain that it shatters way too easily.

It's just a puzzling position you take. I mean, I get you love your Nexus 4, but I don't get this almost resistance-like attitude for the next one to be better.

----------

Again, the Nexus 7 offers 32 GB as does the Nexus 10. Why does Google bother? Are those devices not part of Google's cloud base plans?

Yes I do love my nexus phone, but I loved all the nexus devices. Now l agree that the camera could be better. I will not argue whether it is needed or not. I don't see the need, but if enough people want a great camera then as long as it does not take away from something else let's do it.

The storage thing I think there are several reasons for the choice. First look at the other 2 devices the 7, 10. Each have 2 storage selections. I think they want to keep it uniformed. Second they are keeping the cost down. Now the cost thing I never got. It does not cost google, Apple, or Samsung $50-$100 to add more storage.

My question to you is why do you need the storage, and why does this keep you from liking the phone? These types of things don't keep me from liking a phone.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008

I generally keep an offline gps app, like my music/video offline, take nand backup of roms.. as you can see space easily fills up. i like stuffs offline. cloud is great for SOME things. it's not so great when wifi is lacking, cell coverage is spotty. ;)

sometimes i like to share files with other phones. a decade ago when i got my 10gb hard drive, i thought i could never use that much space in my life.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I generally keep an offline gps app, like my music/video offline, take nand backup of roms.. as you can see space easily fills up. i like stuffs offline. cloud is great for SOME things. it's not so great when wifi is lacking, cell coverage is spotty. ;)

sometimes i like to share files with other phones. a decade ago when i got my 10gb hard drive, i thought i could never use that much space in my life.

Do you use the nexus line of phones? I thought I would need extra space a couple of years ago, but I really never come close to filling it up.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yes I do love my nexus phone, but I loved all the nexus devices. Now l agree that the camera could be better. I will not argue whether it is needed or not. I don't see the need, but if enough people want a great camera then as long as it does not take away from something else let's do it.

The storage thing I think there are several reasons for the choice. First look at the other 2 devices the 7, 10. Each have 2 storage selections. I think they want to keep it uniformed. Second they are keeping the cost down. Now the cost thing I never got. It does not cost google, Apple, or Samsung $50-$100 to add more storage.

My question to you is why do you need the storage, and why does this keep you from liking the phone? These types of things don't keep me from liking a phone.

You need to get your info straight. I never said I didn't like the phone. There are things about it I don't like and things that can be better. It's really that simple. The deal breaker for me I sum up here:

Anyway, your posts sound awfully similar to iOS apologists who settle (and defend tooth and nail) for what is given to them because it's "good enough." It's great the Nexus 4 works for you as it is. But there's no reason why it can't nor shouldn't be much better the next go around.

Again, even Google themselves have conceded they'll finally put a good camera in the next Nexus. Let's just say I'm glad that decision isn't up to you. :)

Take it easy.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
You need to get your info straight. I never said I didn't like the phone. There are things about it I don't like and things that can be better. It's really that simple. The deal breaker for me I sum up here:

Anyway, your posts sound awfully similar to iOS apologists who settle (and defend tooth and nail) for what is given to them because it's "good enough." It's great the Nexus 4 works for you as it is. But there's no reason why it can't nor shouldn't be much better the next go around.

Again, even Google themselves have conceded they'll finally put a good camera in the next Nexus. Let's just say I'm glad that decision isn't up to you. :)

Take it easy.

OK so the call quality was your reason for leaving. That is understandable. I am no apologist for nexus line of phones. You come across as a picky phone user that no phone could ever live up to your expectations. I mean you are on these forums complaining about the iPhone, Samsung devices, and the nexus 4. Now you have ordered the HTC one you are going to find something wrong with it.

I don't find any of the things you don't like as bad things. That can't make me an apologist. There are things that are not so good about it. For one it is fragile and I have to be careful with it. Not a big problem because I do that with every phone I use. It does not LTE on it. I do miss it some times, but again it is nothing I can't do without. The battery life is not all that great either, but I can make it through a day, and that is all that matters. There are negatives to every phone, but I found a phone I like and can use.

Why do you feel that because I look past certain things because I found the phone works for me that I am apologist?

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Here it is again.

Oh I am sorry. Let me know when you find the perfect phone that does everything you could ever want from a phone. What are going to return the HTC One after that camera does not work out for you like you thought? Ever phone has things people don't like about it. I have the Note 2 as well. It does not have the best display on it, but I still think it is a great phone. I have an iPhone 5 I am not not that happy with ios. All phones have things we don't like about them, but guess what at some point you have to chose one that works for you. I am still not sure how this make me a nexus apologist.

Could you tell me the last smartphone you were happy with?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I plan on pre-ordering the Optimus G Pro soon after the May 1st keynote. I'm going to sell my iPhone 5 afterwards. It appears to be the IPS phablet that I've wanted for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.