So what was Nintendo's big surprise??

Discussion in 'Games' started by calyxman, May 11, 2006.

1. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Is it too early to ask this? What is it that we were supposed to find out that was revolutionary the new Wii once e3 rolled around the corner? Please don't tell me it's another version of Mario, Zelda, or Duck Hunt...:rolleyes:

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Nothing?

Athough I recall the guys giving the Zelda demonstration talking about how they got to tell us "one of the secrets" and it was the speaker in then remote.

3. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

The secret is that you can keep it in your pants while you aren't using it.

4. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I think it was going to be the speaker in the controller and the movement sensitivity in the nunchuck, both of which got leaked early.

*Shrug* our own fault.

"What's going on?! What's going on?! I want to find out all the info I can, even if they don't want me to know yet! . . . . . . . What, no surprises?"

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Their big surprise was not sucking :). They gave us all the games we were after and more (27 playable!), the controller looks like it works great, it's going to be out on time, and the name Wii is starting to sound more and more pleasant with use (a little!). I was a bit pessimistic based on past E3s but I'll give them lashings of Kudos this year. I'm excited about getting a console for the first time since the 64 and PS1.

With the Wii and the DSlite out with this year they seem to be on track very nicely after a period out in the relative cold :).

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya, the motion senstitive nunchuck and the speaker/mic* in the controller were the news. Not HUGE, but certainly interesting.

Nintedo had a pretty good E3 so far... on the good side, they are stealing pretty much all the coverage. Thier keynote certainly looked the funnest. They have tons of games playable, and everyone is interested in them. They are showing/demoing both old series games AND some completely new things**. Oh, and a light gun attachment. That was my favorite part of the NES, hands down. Hogans Alley, anyone?

On the bad side, no price or firm date. Also, I'm very bothered by this "classic controller". It looks like junk to be honest. They are trying to offer a one size fits all solution to a problem that REQUIRES a varied approach. They need a SNES controller, the one they have now is fine, just dump the analog sticks and the Z button; it'll work for SNES, NES, Genesis, and TBX16 if they aren't going to make one for each. They need an N64 shell, JUST FOR N64 GAMES. A pefect replica. Lastly they need to do a GCN shell for the people who don't have old GameCube controllers lying around.

I'm holding out hope that they are offering this single unit for people who just want to buy one controller and be able to play everything, but will sell one for each system for those who want "the real experience".

* the mic is confirmed apparantly, but not acknowledged. I STILL can't figure out if there is a speaker AND a mic or if the speaker doubles as mic.

** The HAMMER game looks kinda cool, but I think it would have been MUCH cooler as a medieval style game. I'm thinking Gauntlet here. Or Diablo. Cyborgs crushing robots in New York is ... very silly. Not sure why and ogre or a dwarf with a hammer is less silly, but it is!

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

hahahaha omg I love my duck hunt game! I still play!

9. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Agreed. Plus, I don't like that it has to be wired to wii-mote. (For power and wireless?). Wireless, but with a cord???

We can still hope that it's not the final design. After all, it was in the same glass case as the new light gun. The case had a sign saying: "Work in Progress".

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It sounded like there was some kind of clip on the back of the controller for the Wiimote to fasten to, and I'm betting the cable was a temporary thing, the final will have a connector slot on it or something. I assume it's this way not because they were still finalizing the exact shape of the 'mote, etc.

Using the Wiimote is a good move, I think, as any wireless controller is gonna run you about $40+ when you figure in transmitters, batteries, rumblepacks, etc etc. This thing is just plastic with buttons and some wires. $20 tops, I'll bet, and it will come with some free downloads at that price, too.

The same is going to go for every controller accessory. The MS steering, wheel, for example, is pretty expensive - like $150+ I thought I read on IGN. A Wii steering wheel could lock the controller into the middle of the wheel, so wouldn't need any sensors for turning, just some springs to keep it centered and push back as you turn a bit, and the throttle and break pedals would just need the analog switches to send data to the Wiimote via the link up. That might cost, what, $50? $75? Still half price, comparitively.

11. shortyjj macrumors regular

Didn't I hear something about some Star Wars game being playable as well?

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Motion sensing nunchuck, speaker in the controller, WiiConnect24, and a lot of surprise titles.

And no, I saw no Star Wars titles on the show floor, and the publishers I spoke to said that Nintendo would not allow anyone to have the Wii playable outside Nintendo's booth because they wanted to have a Nintendo rep there to guide new players to using the controller- so I don't think there could have been one anywhere else.

I will stop by Lucasarts anyway today though, just to be sure.

13. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

I think it was the speaker in the Wiimote to create the depth of sound field. Isn't that pretty cool? I mean come on!!! If someone tells me that Intellivision or the stupid Jaguar did that in 1984 I will roll my eyes VERY hard.

Better than Sony's surprise of the $600 quality bundle price tag.

14. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

how is duckhunt going to be cool? The part of the first game was how sweet it was to show your skill with the light gun. How will you aim well with a stick? Unless they put a targeting thing on the screen, but then its easy so meh.

15. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's a gun handle/trigger attachment being shown as well. :) You can aim and shoot just like the light gun.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Was there meant to be a big surprise? I don't think I heard that. I heard Reggie/Iwata say that they are going to give us little secrets until it's launch. They still have months left and will probably announce it close to the systems launch (probably to announce that too!) just to get people excited.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

What else is there besides the price and when its release.....

mic in wiimote...check
    wimote....check
    nunchuck sensing...check
    Wiiconnect24...check

what more is there.

Bless

18. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

dude... that "classic controller" is awesome...! it looks like a SNES controller on steroids! i can easily see it working for everything... even 'cube games! (...so u don't need wired 'cube controllers)

19. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

The VR helmet. :p

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It aint half bad looking is it! Chances are I'll be playing more Snes and Mega Drive games than anything else. I missed out on the Snes and only have the GBA ports to play, and the Mega Drive was one of the dominant games systems of my childhood. I mean my current ringtone on my phone is Sonic 1's 'Starlight Zone'. people seem to go into a deep blank stare and smile a little when this song plays :D

21. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Except N64 games. The Z button on the N64 was the trigger underneath, right? Thats a kind of akward position for a button that is used so much... thats why the Cube uses it for stuff like bringing up maps etc...

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think it suffers from one of the problems that the PS1/2/3 controllers have had since analog (not necessarily Dual Shock). Not having the stick inline with the player's thumb is very uncomfortable.

23. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya, it'll be great for SNES/Genesis/TGX16 games. It'll suck something fierce for N64 or GCN games. It's got the analog sticks in all the wrong spots (see Dual Shock controller for an example of hand cramping goodness). The shoulder buttons are not positioned well, compared to the N64/GCN controllers, either.

The N64 had the trigger button (Z I think it was) under your left index finger on the backside of the controller. It was almost like holding a pistol... very very comfortable and usable. I really hope to see at least an N64 shell. I can deal with plugging in GCN controllers if I have to, and I can use this classic thingy for 16-bit games, but the N64 demands it's own controller setup!