So Whats Coming at the Paris Expo

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by tliptak, Aug 22, 2002.

1. tliptak macrumors regular

I was wondering if anyone heard anything. Mabye the iPhone or some new iApp. Do you think an apple digital camera that would be cool. Final Cut Pro 4 Mabye. IBMs new prossecer. has anybody heard anything.

2. saint macrumors regular

I would like to see an Apple digital camera with FireWire and an internal 5GB hard drive. Not sure if it will happen though, especially with the way the economy is at the moment.
    I think the iPhone is very unlikely. Apple has a partnership with Sony Ericsson, and they let them advertise the upcoming P800 at MWNY. I think there is more to come from this partnership, but not an Apple branded phone.

But Steve has 1 or 2 hours to fill with his keynote, he has to talk about or introduce something. He can't waste the whole time with more previews of Jaguar, because everyone will already have it by then. Maybe he will just try to convince more people to subscribe to .Mac (I still hate that name).

3. Liamcow macrumors member

maybe he'll just spend the whole keynote smashing PCs with XP logos on the screens:D that would make me happy

4. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

A 5GB Hard Drive is WAY overkill for a still digital camera and too small for a video camera. Digital stills from a 2.1MP camera take up 1MB or less. Being able to store 5000 photos is unnecessary. An internal drive such as a Microdrive only helps when you are shooting at over 5MP in uncompressed TIFF mode, or when you will be away from a computer for a long period of time. Apple is not touting life without a computer with their Digital Hub concept. Firewire, while nice on professional cameras that take 10-15MB photos, is not necessary on a consumer camera.

I would like an Apple camera, though. We must remember, however, that Apple did make a camera... and a PDA.

Never made a cell phone, though.:D

5. snoopy macrumors member

I disagree. 5000 photos would be really nice. It could take care of your whole vacation. You may take many more photos too, without running out of space. Delete 90 percent of them when you get back home.

6. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Yeah, Firewire is also overkill on an MP3 player, because nobody would ever need more that 100 songs in their pocket....

Now, if you chaps will excuse me, I have to change songs on my iPod...

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Re: NEW POWERBOOK

Oh contrare my friend. I've had a friend have their new pb shipped with 10.2...besides, after 8/24, all powerbooks will have 10.2 included no matter what...i'd be stupid if they didn't

Sept is a tad too soon for an update to either laptops;)...then again, january is a tad too late...hrm:D

8. hippy macrumors newbie

powerbook

hmmm I still think they have something up their sleeve, I really need to replace my pismo, and it just doesnt make sense not to update those sections of the apple website.

9. ericb88 macrumors member

I want a midrange labtop! The 17inch imac of labtops....

10. multifinder macrumors member

I'll second that--there's a big gap in Apple's line between the iBook and TiBook that a widescreen iBook would fill perfectly.

I really hope Apple updates the iBook soon--I'm looking to replace my 400MHz iMac, but I want the iBook up to at least 800MHz before I can justify spending the money. Macosrumors.com said iBooks with 933MHz and widescreens were coming "January to March" but that seems WAY too long between updates--May '02 to March '03 is just ridiculous. I think if Apple's smart they'll give the iBook at least a speed bump, if not a bigger or higher-res screen, between now and November...

11. ericb88 macrumors member

Mid range labtop, with 667mhz G4 (powerbook will have been updated) or 1ghz sahara, 32mb video and 13.1inch widescreen for about 1899. Ill take 2.

12. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

I'd be satisfied with a 800Mhz G3, 32MB VRAM, and 256MB RAM standard in the iBook for a temporary update at the Apple Expo.

13. ericb88 macrumors member

That would be great for the ibook, but im talking abotu like a mini tibook.

14. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Steve talks for an hour and a half about the Apple Stores...their gonna innovate out of this economic slump.....YAY! the 1.25 FINALLY is shipping(maybe).

Everyone is happy....Oh....let add some new services to .Mac since nobody wants it....

And one more thing....$100 added to all systems...:rolleyes:

seriously though......it'll be a Software fest...I doubt any hardware

15. tliptak thread starter macrumors regular

The iBook really need more VRAM 32 should be good like a Radeon Moblity or Nvida cards would be really cool

16. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

What????:confused: Speak for yourself buddy!!! My five Gig iPod is at capacity;) And I take long trips, so I listen to every song!!!:p

17. snoopy macrumors member

Will Steve Jobs introduce the G5 in Paris? I've been thinking he would introduce it on October 15, after IBM presents the chip at the Microprocessor Forum, but it could happen in Paris. Certainly we should hear soon. After the October 15 forum, the cat is out of the bag. Everyone will realize that this is the new G5 for Apple. Steve has to say something, or PowerMac sale will grind to a halt, as folks begin to wait for a G5 PowerMac to appear. What would he say? It may be an early look at a workstation grade G5 Mac, meant to run things like Shake and Maya. Customers will then know that G4 PowerMacs are hear to stay much longer. The only ones who wait for the G5 will be those willing to pay a lot more for its outrageous performance.

18. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Believe me...I'd like more than 32MB VRAM, but it isn't going to happen. The TiBook only has 32...and that would have to upped to 64MB VRAM before the iBook would get 32.

My specs for the medium range book idea.

13.1 WideScreen
    Ext Optical Drive (SuperDrive)
    .90" Thin
    1Ghz G4
    iBook style case

19. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

laptop. the word is laptop. ;)

20. andyinindy macrumors newbie

I'm glad that someone set him straight. But wait a moment... what if he works in some kind of Lab... and he needs a computer that could sit atop the others.... a lab top? Heh. Sorry.

I am praying for hardware in Paris. Actually, it seems like a distinct possibility considering the lack of HW at MYNY. I see Powerbooks being updated. I'd LOVE to see the new IBM/Nvidia/Motorola/Intel G5.... or the iPhone, a PDA, or a digicam. Maybe some sort of robot delivery drone... "get me a beer!"... Or perhaps a bluetooth enabled, voice activated iToaster... "lightly toast bagel, check email".

Ugh. I hate speculation. No use in it, really. I have no money to buy any of these cool gadgets, so what's the point?
    :(

21. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

its called sarcasm :rolleyes:

22. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Jobs could just announce a video/still camera addition that would plug into the firewire port of the ipod, giving us the full deal as far as capacity and stuff goes. That would be pretty cool.

23. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

do you even own a digital camera? Managing photos is NOT like managing mp3s. Even if you had firewire to download all these photos fast into your Mac, you still have to open them up and do some minimal level of processing on them. It would take days, weeks to go through that many images (5000 images = 156 rolls of film). It's just not practical on a daily basis.

I own a 4 mp camera with a 256mb flash card and I've yet to shoot the full capacity (about 120 picts at highest rez jpeg) on any one outing.

Now, if you're throwing VIDEO into the mix, it's a different story.

24. jaguar451 macrumors member

I could imagine a longish vacation where one doesn't have a laptop where this would be usable.... And hey, downloading that 256MB would go a lot faster, too.... And many (most now?) cameras do do video clips.....