so what's on your christmas list?

Discussion in 'Community' started by r6girl, Nov 8, 2004.

1. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

first and foremost, please replace "christmas" with Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or whatever other holiday you celebrate where gifts are exchanged. i was raised with christmas, and this is what my entire family celebrates, but this thread is not intended to be focused on just christmas...

my sweet husband asked me for my christmas list the other day, so i drafted it up and just need to hand it over to him and start crossing my fingers. :D i had to clarify with him that most of the things on my list, are not, of course, necessities, so he needs to consider this before he starts asking me, "why is this on your list, don't you already have x, y, or z that does the same thing?" and, we draft our lists under the assumption that we will NOT buy everything on the list, only the things that are within the other's price range.

anyway, on to my list:

- silver ipod mini (yes, i already have a 30 gb, but i'd love a mini just to use at the gym)
    - goodridge kevlar brake lines (for my r6 motorcycle)
    - desktop charging cradle or other useful accessories for my nokia 6620
    - any snowboarding gear (camelback, fleece tops, long underwear, etc.)
    - a subscription to icreate magazine
    - slippers
    - a new battery for my powerbook
    - stuff (larger dog bed, leather collar and lead) for jake, our great dane puppy

so, what's on your list?

marianne

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Wow you're expensive ;)

I don't want much...maybe some clothes, some stuff for my kitchen (I moved out of my parents' house this year so the kitchen is kinda lacking), electronic toys (any)...an iPod Photo would be swell but that won't happen!

3. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

ive been working on mine for a couple of weeks, i had it as a sticky note on my ibook, adding things as i think of them.

i put it online for my parents
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~awo6

iSight
    Airport Express
    1024mb RAM for 12" ibook g4
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King extended edition DVD (4 disks)
    Subscription to Wired Magazine
    Subscription to MacAddict Magazine
    Subscription to Popular Science Magazine
    Subscription to MacWorld Magazine
    Subscription to The Onion newspaper
    Sealab 2021 DVD
    Vonnegut Books (unread, i'll have to make a list)
    piece of berlin wall (eBay)
    Extra Pocket Money
    Microwave Oven (any will do)

4. r6girl thread starter Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i am, aren't i? :p trust me, my husband has the same opinion! i do at least try to keep the list reasonable and have some things that will be under $20. but i didn't do a good job of that this year now that i look at that list again. well, i may have just set myself up for some nice chunks of coal or something. we shall see...

hey, wait a minute - you want an ipod photo! you = pot, me = kettle! :)

marianne

5. r6girl thread starter Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i am very impressed with the online list. that's a nice way to list the item AND be very specific about the exact thing you want. hmmm, i may copy that tactic one of these days. overall, good mix of pricier items with more reasonable ones. i bet you'll have very good luck getting most of the things on your list.

oh, just scanned your list again and noticed the piece of the berlin wall. why that? do tell!

marianne

6. acceber macrumors regular

Dear Santa,

Please send my 8-year-old friend some books to read, as he is in a children's hospital with burns to 85% of his body and doesn't know that his family perished in the house gas fire yet. He likes to read.

I would also like millions of dollars to build infrastructure in Africa, Asia and South America (examples) so that people in developing countries can have the same opportunities as we do in the west.

I would also appreciate it if you could send us a new car because I crashed my mum's sedan the other day whilst on my test to get my provisional license. Some aloe vera for my knee (I hurt it in the car accident) would be good. And if you have a little bit of room to spare in your sack, some pink lemonade would be good, I'm kinda thirsty.

Sincerely yours,

R

P.S. Scrap the lemonade, a subscription to TIME magazine would be the best.

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm not going to ask for it! Maybe someone will surprise me ;) I'll put it on my Amazon wishlist or something...

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

That is absolutely heartbreaking. Is he going to be okay?

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

hmm...haven't writtten it yet but i like to make two lists, one for me and one for my parents/"santa" :rolleyes:
    mine: a new 12" powerbook my parents/santa:rolleyes::any mac that runs os x (my parents are rather computer-dense so ill pick a cheap one and tell 'em about it)
    mine: the star wars trilogy dvd mp/s: pi the movie and dumb and dumberer on dvd
    mine: halo2 and a working xbox ( hate the damn hard drive with a passion even though it's what sold me on bill's beloved box) mp/s: gta:sa
    mine: 100 bucks cash mp/s: a 15 dollar target gift card (i got one every year since i was 8 and i'm 14 now)
    mine: a silver-plated selmer series II super action 80 bari sax mp/s: nothing. im not that crazy.
    mine: an ipod mini, in pink and ill give my 'pod to my brother who really wants one mp/s: 25 dollar itunes gift certificate

i could go on for ages and ages but i'm tired of typing and need to change the song in itunes. ive got to get rid of that earl hines album!!! yes, i have expensive tastes, and no, i don't expect to get that all lol

10. acceber macrumors regular

I think so. He is burnt everywhere except for a section on his lower left leg and a small part of his mid-section. He will be in hospital for at least a year though. :(

11. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Powermac G5 with 20 inch screen

i got the grades i did my fair share ;)

12. mms macrumors 6502a

13. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I've got a somewhat long list... I won't get even half of this, keep in mind:

- subscription to 2600 magazine
    - subscription to to PC Magazine
    - any spare computer parts my family has (know I will be getting a ~10 year old Preforma 450 from my grandfather :D )
    - Books: Understanding Terror Networks, Troubleshooting your PC for Dummies, Programming C, Third Edition, The Fabric of the Cosmos
    - Halo 2
    - DVD burner
    - 1.44 MB floppies
    - blank CDs
    - AA, AAA, and 9V batteries
    - some transformers, capacitors, and mini electric motors, too numerous to mention
    - masking, electrical, double sided tape
    - chemicals and stuff (magnesium ribbon, pure hydrogen peroxide, cesium, aluminum powder, mercury, etc.)
    - voltmeter

14. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

Well seeing as though the Red Sox won the World Series, I already got exactly what I wanted for Christmas...maybe some championship gear would be nice.

I think I'm all set as far as tech stuff goes. Maybe some new clothes or some DVDs and CDs. That's about it.

15. brap macrumors 68000

Damn, x-mas already?

Not even started thinking about it. I generally ask for clothes from anyone and everyone, because I never buy them myself... well, besides gig t-shirts, and those have been few and far between in this dump.

Gadget wise, i don't need anything in particular, might ask for [rather, we'll go out and buy our stuff for each other] one of those new VIA Epia motherboards, with the 1.2 Nehemiah processor for a home theatre-cum-emulation box for the front room. Jolly fun!

16. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

mine's been online for a year or two, which I strongly recommend for anyone if you have the webspace, know-how, and time to put it together. I've tried to keep a variety of price points, everything from $20 and UP. And I do mean UP. Not so much a christmas list, because I'd be crazy to think anyone's going to spend that much money on anything as a gift, but it lets me keep track of things I'd like to have, so when someone says "what do you want for xmas" I have a ready answer.

http://www.podification.com/personal/wants.html

to put it in perspective, last year's list included a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (a yellow one). Since I work in the graphics field, and I have a lot of clients who are car dealers (7 of them now) I got my dream gift, sort-of. When my '00 Intrepid needed an engine replacement last year, I had the Rubicon as a loaner. :D And yes, it was yellow :). It's good to have friends.

17. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Is anyone else tired of all this commercial mess around Christmas? It was sad seeing Christmas stuff out at the mall and other places even before Halloween.

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Nobody else wants a POWERBOOK G5?!?!?!?!?!

Come on Stevo.

19. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

A Sega Genesis and all the Sonic games.

Which, ironically enough, is pretty much what I wanted and recieved for Christmas about 11 years ago.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, as long as you aren't being greedy....

I could hint at what I want, but I could never actually make an online list and send the link to my parents.... :rolleyes:

I want a 1 GB stick of RAM for my PowerBook, a Bluetooth mouse, and to spend time this holidays with friends and family. I'd also like an Acura or Mazda3, but it ain't going to happen. ;)

I also want to take pictures of everyone back home because that's something I don't have many of.... pictures of my good friends to remember them by if I'm away from home.

21. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I don't think this is so much a greedy thing, as it is a helpful thing to people wanting to get you gifts. All my family members ask me each year for a list of things I'd like - this is simply an easy way for them to get that list, and have it show them EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I certainly don't expect most of the things on it, but they at least know what my likes and hobbies are. Greed, at least in my case, has little or nothing to do with it.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Then why not assign a gift to each of your parents, uncles, cousins, and friends? Wouldn't that simplify the purchasing process for them even further? They don't even have to think about you, really. They just know they should get you "Item 8." Also, you eliminate the chances of 2 people getting you the same thing.

I see your point, but I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind seeing what my family and friends have in store for me at X-mas. I've never really complained about a gift, but if you insist on only getting things that you know you want/need, then sure, the list is good.

23. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i'd like to get...

1. new computer... its about time i have some iteration of one of the available g5's (my current g3 iMac HATES all my applications)
    2. new road bike, prolly cannondale's six13
    3. ipod charger cable thingy for my car

i'd like to get, but need even less than the above list...

1. nikon d70
    2. vespa scooter for tooling around dupont circle
    3. new mountain bike, prolly cannondale gemini or prophet

24. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

these are more like simple recomendations, my parents dont live with me, they dont know what i need. they like to know what id like to have.

25. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i'm just going home for the holidays :) i supply my gadget jones throughout the year, so i don't have many things on my list. my mom buys me a lot of kitchen stuff (got my first proper cookware set last year) as we both love to cook, and i expect more this year.

i'm more looking forward to giving my parents something; if my Q4 holds up, i'll be upgrading one of my desktop machines, and handing down my trusty Quicksilver 867. they refuse to spend the money on a new machine, and i'd love to get them going with iphoto, imovie etc. (their main machine right now is a pentium 100mhz acer with a 1 gig HD. :eek: )

not to get too sappy, but i ask friends and extended family to donate to either the make a wish foundation or the american heart association instead of buying me a $20 trinket.