So what's the stupidest thing anyone's said to you this week?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gekko513, Feb 4, 2006.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Random question from Six Feet Under, Season 1, Episode 12: "So what's the stupidest thing anyone's said to you today?". (Claire asks Gabe)

Could make for an interesting community thread, but I extended it to a week since no-one's said anything stupid to me today.

A good candidate for me would have to be one of my colleagues who in the middle of a conversation with me started pressing the buttons on my office calculator and making phone-button-press-beeps. It's more stupid in a funny way, because it's our kind of humour. I'm sure my boss said something a lot more stupid, because he usually does, but I can't think of anything he said this week. ;) And, boss, if you read this, please notice the winky smiley. :p

Your turn.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

'Yes, it's definitely ready to go to press...'

Get files over to printer, phone through order, plates are made, 300 sheets run off of print-run of 10,000 when...

First thing next morning: 'No, it's not ready, is it too late?'

No, I say... it's not too late if you want to pick up the costs of new plates and paper.

'What a ripoff — that's unfair.'

:rolleyes:

3. iGary Guest

iGary

"Would you consider cutting your hourly rate in half?"

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It wasn't neccesarily said to me, but yesterday on the back of some redneck's pickup truck was a homemade sign that said "Anti War = Pro Terrorism". Damn idiots :rolleyes: Sometimes you just wish murder was legal.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

To which you reply, "sure, but I'll only do half the work."

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Funny enough, it is and it's called "war".

BTW, dumbest thing anyone's said to me this week would have to be this

7. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

:eek: And what did you say?

BV: So what did the they do? Pay or continue? I'm also curious, how much do plates and paper cost?

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

An awful lot. Having to send something back to press usually means you (at least) lose any profit on the job. Of course I'm looking at it from another angle because I work at a printing house.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

They paid — no choice.

They let the job go through with a typo in one of the telephone numbers, something which I was never going to spot as it matched the original text that was given. In this instance it was only another £75 because the printer hadn't done the entire print run. If they had, then it would have ended up costing closer to £600 for new plates and a new run.

It was only a relatively small job — just a flyer. If it had been a publication with lots of trimming, folding and binding then we're talking many thousands of pounds, possibly more depending on how many plates and the type of stock.

10. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I was seeing a patient in clinic and had the following conversation towards the end of the visit:

Pt: Where are you from?
    Me: New York
    Pt: No. Where are you originally from.
    Me: My dad is from Iran. My mom is from Korea.
    Pt: Do Americans treat you well?
    Me: Yes in general [fellow] Americans treat me fine.
    Pt: That's surprising.
    Me: [It] doesn't surprise me.
    Pt: Probably if you wore the head gear of your country Americans wouldn't treat you as well.

That last comment was the stupidest thing anyone said to me this week. I wasn't mad or anything. Just dumbfounded by ignorance.

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

"Copeland was from Prague, right??"

"I was NOT doing an at-home drug test in a practice room!"

This week was FULL OF "stupidest things"

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This was via my mother - her PA after speaking to the graphic team in Spain (who incidentally don't seem to know anything about print resolutions and the like. Some of the things I've seem come out of there for client use are horrific.)

"No, the graphics team can't make multi-page PDFs out of these 6 single page PDFs. Acrobat only lets them make single pages otherwise they'd be too big to email. And they don't have enough time since it would probably take a day even if they could."

So Mum mailed them to me and I stuck them into a single PDF and saved them at lower resolution so they could be viewed onscreen. Time - 20 minutes since I redid one of the Word documents to look better.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I had a meeting at work with a design firm with whom we're coordinating user interface development.

I'd brought in my 17" iMac because, among other reasons, I had a demo of some SVG stuff on it, and a Keynote slide set I wanted to show to the design firm.

A fellow employee of mine, who works in sales, attended the meeting. He sat across the table from me.

After I had the iMac up and running, he asked me "is that a Mac?"

Note that he was across the table from me. Looking at the back of my iMac. Which says, in very large print, "iMac."

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

On my friend's birthday on Tuesday, I was at a bar and someone wanted to get my attention by shouting out racist things at me.

I realize that Australia is quite well-known as a somewhat racist country, but that was the worst yet.

I don't want to talk about it.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Idiots. Clearly, they're from St. Louis.

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Bad proofing on their part. Rule one that I was always told and which I still hold people to - call every number as listed on the proof copy, type in every web address and send a test to every email. Can save a lot of issues later!

I remember having a conversation once with someone who had signed off a catalogue with an incorrect price in it (it was currently correct but he'd been planning on revising it upwards to improve his margin by the time the book came out) who couldn't quite understand that we weren't going to get new plates and reprint several thousand copies of the catalogue for the sake of his margin.

17. mpw Guest

Not this week but just before Christmas;
    I was in the coffee shop at lunch sitting at the bar and one of the guys looks up from an article he's reading and asks the open question;
    "What was the first animal in space?"
    I guessed dog and another girl guessed monkey. Now both those answers were perfectly good answers (I think I'm right mind ) and had some said mouse, rat, guinea-pig or rabbit I'd have thought they were all reasonable guesses.
    So what does the girl behind the bar say?

"Giraffe?"

"Do you mean my charge rate or work rate?"

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ahhh, I knew I had read this post before. THought it was deja vu for a second.

19. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I got an email from a guy (not actually this week) that was the funniest thing I have ever read. Grammatical errors everywhere, no sentences breaks, etc.

At the end of it all, he writes: "I am sending you this email now." :D

20. Lau Guest

The posters for our degree show are open for design by any of the graphic design 3rd years. A few of us had done designs, and they were posted in the corridor with anonymous comment sheets. The comments were either immature or rude as a rule, but the best one was on my friends (fairly sparse, with a lot of use of blank space) one:

"all the black space is a waste of paper".

:eek:

21. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I heard a girl in a bar walk up to a stranger (male) and slur : "even though you're straight, you think I'm hot." She then stumbled off drunkenly to the bathroom.

I laughed - then thought - what if she wasn't a girl ?

22. iGary Guest

iGary

Well I don't think you would consider taking half your salary this year, would you? I giggled, there was silence, and then they laughed a bit.

I bid the job, but hope I don't get it. I don't need the headache.

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Earlier this week, I got sent a CD of images to go in a catalogue I'm working on. Unfortunately, the CD was a duff one, and none of our Macs (or the studio PC for that matter) could read it. I called them up to get a fresh CD sent.

"Are you on Macs there?" I was asked. I replied we were.

"Ah – that'll be the problem then. The CD's got JPEGs on and Macs can't open them, can they?"

:rolleyes:

24. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

It wasn't said to me but it was directed at me
    I over heard some people talking and they accuses me of calling public saftey on them for smoking pot in their room which isn't true. He said to his friend or whatever that "I should grow up" I was thinking to myself... why should i grow up your the one who is smoking in a dorm when you can just go outside and walk into the woods. (my school is heavily wooded)

25. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

No I wouldn't consider that. I just wondered if you said something to the effect of "F off", or if you were more diplomatic about it.