So when are you upgrading to Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. MacBook, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

I'd like to know when you guys are upgrading to Leopard.

Personally, im going to wait until 5th update on it comes out, then ill buy it. I dont want my MacBook exploding from an unknown firmware update.

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

im waiting for santa rosa to come out, if it comes with it then i ll have it then, if not thne i htink i ll wait for 10.5.2 maybe even .3 but don t think i ll wait longer than that..

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm upgrading on Tuesday. Duh.

(And Leopard is not a firmware update)

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

It depends how cool it is. If I just gotta have it (all the top secret stuff is just way to awesome) then I will buy it when it's released. But if it is largely the same as it is now, I will wait until .1

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

You mean like 10.5.5? That's a little long, I'd say, but okay. I'll probably upgrade at the 10.5.1 update.

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Will Pre-Order It So I Have It On Day ONE

I never wait and I've never been burned so far. 'Cause I like to have it already loaded on my PowerBook so I can be running it while I'm posting here from the front of the Palo Alto Store Event Queue Friday afternoon. When you Pre-Order it, you get it before it's in the store. I love the thrill of being first. Plus other guys in the line will teach me features as we sit backs to the plate glass storefront in the Spring sun of downtown Palo Alto. ;)

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Ditto.

8. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

I'm new to OS X (10 days now...), so I will stick w/ the stability of Tiger until the point Leopard features compel me to upgrade... Assuming the feature-set doesn't intrigue me, I'll wait at least until .1 is released...

9. djpl macrumors member

I will be upgrading the day it's available. I know it's probably not the wisest thig to do, but I can't help myself!

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It will depend on what the top secret features are. If they are something that I have to have I will buy it on Day 1, otherwise if it is about the same as it is now then I will at least wait for 10.5.1, or later depending on how stable it is.

11. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Day one. There's nothing wrong with the .0 releases ... personally, I've had a lot more problems with .9 releases (my paranoid conspiracy theory that Apple always builds in annoyances to .9 releases to encourage upgrades.)

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I'm a pre-order type of guy myself. Love to have it ASAP

13. Angrist macrumors 6502

Depends on when it's released ... if it shows up at finals time I'll wait until the end of the semester. If it's released when I'm on break I'll order it within about a week of the release, and install in on my machines one at a time. Usually about 3-4 days between installs to look for bugs / weirdness.

[To cut off any of the "It's illegal to install on more than one machine crowd" ...

three machines warrants a family pack]

14. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I'm not a big upgrade kind of guy. Unless there is some got to have, to die for new feature, I'll wait for stabilization.

15. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Soon as it comes out, hopefully I'll have money for it, but we'll see. Basicly as soon as I can

17. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Well, I tell myself that I should wait until at least .3 to make sure it's stable and all that, but in reality I'm not that patient. I'll likely end up pre-ordering within 24 hours of the announcement.

18. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

does this mean you'll be getting leopard with a hardware purchase? i ask, because the last few releases were on friday.

19. MrMacbookMan macrumors newbie

I'd love to get it right away, but I agree, it really depends on the hidden features. However, I think Time Machine and Spaces are pretty tempting to get it right away!

20. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I'll buy it right away I think. If I really don't like it or it is too buggy then I could just re-load on Tiger. Why not? Sure it will take another what hour of my day to do that? I'm going to buy 10.5, there is no doubt. Why wait. If I were to wait for 10.5.2 then as soon as it comes out I'd buy it and be mad I have to wait. If I really want to do that. I'll buy it when 10.5.0 comes out and not install it and as soon 10.5.2 comes out install it! Sounds like the best plan to me. If you can wait not to buy it, then you can wait not to install it.

Not me. Buy, backup, and then do a fresh clean install :)

The Stig

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure it's just a joke :)

22. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Depends

I am considering a hardware upgrade, depends on new hardware features. (HDMI out, flash memory, H.264 encoding and decoding in hardware)

So if 10.5 comes first I have to wait. Normally I would wait for 2-3 weeks and read the first reviews.

23. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'll likely get leopard when it comes out, but i'm debating whether i should get a new computer. if i do, i might wait for updated whatever-it-is-i'm-going-to-get.

24. netdog macrumors 603

netdog