so when is a car....

Discussion in 'Community' started by evoluzione, May 21, 2004.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ...no longer itself???

i've been watching a new series on TLC recently called "overhaulin'" where they "steal" someone's car for a week, and completely trick it out, make it look completely awesome. thing is, some of the cars have a new chassis, and a new engine, and some new panel parts etc.

personally i think it cannot be called the same car after all that, i kinda think of a car's chassis as it's skeleton, it's engine as it's brain etc. you can get away with changing the engine, but a different chassis? gotta be a different car i reckon, somewhat like taking away it's soul.

weird i know, but what do you guys make of it all??? when does a car lose it's identity and is no longer itself?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i haven't seen that particular show, but i have seen the 'pimp my ride' show on MTV. usualy they completely strip the car- down to the rusted out frame, then weld on reinforcements to make the car structurally sound.

why not just start over? doesnt seem like its still the same car to me...

3. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    exactly! why bother with the old car in the first place???

4. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Because that would make an uninteresting show.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When the VIN changes. Everything else is subjective.

Last month, after I got my heart/lung transplant, liver transplant, cornea transplant, bone marrow transplant, skin transplant, and of course the brain transplant, I still feel like the same person. You know why? My social security number is still the same! :)

6. job macrumors 68040

job

Emotional attachment? Either that or just the knowledge of what the car used to look like before the overhaul.

Honestly, tinkering with and rebuilding an old car is really fun. I've been working on a '76 Super Beetle Cabrio. It's great fun to just be able to tinker with the engine, especially when most new cars have a huge sheet of plastic covering the internals.