Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
The question says it all! I don't know if i'm missing it from every single page im seeing but I can't seem to find them?! :confused::confused:
oh, and they could've done a nice new 3D Compass App...

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I only have the CLock still showing from that list...... I wish they would actually let you pick what to show. I have to fight the App Store on the kids Touch every time i delete an app. It LOVES to pop back on there.

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
With the release being two months away they've got plenty of time to add these apps to the iPad.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
hopefully, I mean, they could've at least shown screenshots of what the apps will be like, or even at least mention them... but they just pretended they never existed...
they could do brilliant/elegant ideas with those apps.. :rolleyes:

for example, the calculator could have a 'grapher'-style box next to the numbers and maybe complex functions input, or somthing

the clock could have like idk, a nice world map with different time zones, or a globe showing the position of the sun or something

Weather could use a little more detailed info, about water, wind, snow, pressure, etc etc

and stocks would be really nice if you could compare companies next to each other or something...

this is :apple: we're talking about, they're all about revolutionary ideas... ;)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
So does anyone think we'll get these "missing" apps in OS4? I could see them (read hope) adding at least the clock. I really miss having a background alarm/timer.

I read somewhere, perhaps here, that Steve didn't like the way the missing apps looked when scaled up. But that makes it sound like he might have asked for a redesign, which by rights could have happened fairly easily between the announcement date and April. And yet April came and no weather/calc/compass/voice recorder/clock/stocks. Hmm, come to think of it, that's kind of a lot of apps to completely redesign in 3ish months. Maybe these apps are why OS4.0 is taking till September for the iPad?

I know those apps weren't shown in the keynote, so we shouldn't expect them, and I know they have counterparts in the app store (though no background clock), still, I can't help but feel a bit cheated. After all, they did sell me the iPad as running on the iPhone OS, which those apps are part of. Ok codemonkeys, I know they aren't really part of the OS, rather apps that run in the OS, but they are part of the iPhone experience. What if they decided not to put Mail on the iPad, or Safari? Maybe the missing apps aren't as critical as Mail or Safari, but IMO they are still missing.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I'm not sure how something that was never promised or announced can be considered missing, but I get your point. I fully expect versions of these that fit Job's vision will be released at some point.

DopeyFish

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
They'll probably be back in the form of widgets of some kind either lock screen or on the main dashboard in iPhone os 4

Either that or they feel that there's better apps being made than the ones that they developed (as they were pretty barebones to begin with)

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
Once we get apps running in the background, we will get a decent clock app from someone out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.