So where exactly is Nintendo Wii's 2nd & 3rd party support?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac000, Nov 5, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

So Nintendo is going to "turn it all around this time" and not let happen what happpen to them with the Gamecube. - what happened? no 3rd part support.

I look at IGN.Com --> http://wii.ign.com/index/release.html release dates for 2007 for the Wii and there really isn't anything standing out besides a handful of games.

So i ask where is this 3rd party support? Are current games in development just not being acknowledged? I am totally psyched for the wii system and the change of control - but I want some serious games and i'm not talking about ports.

Whats going on here people? Is nintendo going to just be a casual gamers system? are there going to be some hardcore games outside of the mario/zelda/metroid franchise?

I wanna see some titles on the Wii that are on the PS3 & 360.

2. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I dont think there is such thing as 2nd party:p

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yes there is. Super Mario Strikers (and Charged) is a 2nd party game, developed by Next Level Games (Nintendo asked NLN to develop it for them).

So was F-Zero (wasn't it developed by Sega?), and Star Fox Assault (Namco).

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

IGN is missing a ton of stuff on there. I've got a PDF from Nintendo's Press site with a list of all third party games scheduled for release prior to March 31, 2007. It's a lot bigger than IGN's list.

I count 42 third party games to come out between now and March 31, 2007.

Plus we know of several more exclusives that aren't listed on IGN's page but have been announced in Famitsu and even had brief intro videos shown; stuff like Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (rumored to be a modified Resident Evil 4 engine).

And a very large number of these games are exclusives.

Red Steel, RE:UC, Trauma Center, Raid Over The River, Sadness, Super Monkey Ball: Bananna Blitz, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Far Cry: Vengeance, Harvest Moon, etc, etc are all Wii-exclusive third party games that are not on any other console.

5. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maybe all i am saying is, Nintendo needs to get a good doce of mature games on the Wii.

Are you able to post the list of the PDF?

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

"Ubisoft has upped their number of titles in development for the console to 14 (eight of which are to be launch games and only three of which were previously known about),[57] while Midway Games has announced they have six titles in development,[58] and EA, the world's biggest software manufacturer, has recently increased their development efforts for the console, declaring they are going to support it '100%'.[59]"

Wikipedia...they have tons of Wii only games...with NGC there was 10 3rd part games, with Wii there are 21 3rd party games for release date

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Right, so really it isn't "where is the 2nd and 3rd party support?" (incidentally they are developing the Metroid Primes and F-Zeros) but it's more "where are the mature games?". You can play all the mature games you want; run about pretending to be a gangster! shoot a zombie or 2! I'm going to play the greatest Zelda game ever, the next F-Zero game, the next other age-less game.

hmm. Anyone else just think this is a shallow attempt to start a flame war?

8. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

is the Wii "widescreen" going to be a full 16:9 with no black bars for those with a widescreen TV?

meaning, plug in the coponent cables u get a native full widescreen image just like you were watching a HD channel on your HDTV?

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

"Mature" Games....plenty of them plus ageless kick arse games!
    Alive

Alive is an upcoming Action/Survival video game by Ubisoft. The only known story details are that it takes place after an earthquake and that the player cannot resolve things just by shooting.

Sadness
    Sadness is an upcoming video game for Nintendo's Wii by Polish video game developer Nibris. According to Nibris head Piotr Orlovsky said, "The scenario will have associations with narcolepsy, nyctophobia and paranoid schizophrenia. The scenario will surprise you." According to a Nibris press release, the action of Sadness will be placed before World War I in a Slavic country. Various methods of playing include slitting the throat of enemies with glass or throwing a rope over a wall using the similar motion with the freehand controller

According to NIBRIS, this game is only for adult players with strong nerves.
    Contents

Darkness
    You play as the potential savior of mankind in a world overrun by vampires. After facing defeat against the vampires, humans now hide in the sewers. Using your sword, martial arts abilities, and new people found along the way you try to save mankind while learning about your estranged father and the secrets within you.

Disaster: Day of Crisis
    Far Cry: Vengeance
    The Godfather: The Game
    Heroes
    Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
    NASCAR 07
    NBA Live 07
    NCAA Football 07
    Need for Speed: Carbon
    Necro-Nesia
    Project H.A.M.M.E.R.
    Red Steel
    Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
    Blitz: The League
    Call of Duty 3
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
    Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Mature enough?

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Can't your TV stretch the image? Just that with my 16:9 tube TV it gives you the option to either stretch the image or display black bars. And that's a decrepit old Toshiba TV.

It'll be interesting to see what's next. 2nd and 3rd parties? tick. Mature games? tick. What's left...

11. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i dont want a streched image, streched images look like crap

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wikipedia says "16:9 anamorphic widescreen support." Honestly I have no idea what that means, if you get your black bars or not....nor do I personally care

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

All Wii games are supposed to support 480p widescreen. My el cheapo HD CRT has a stretch mode that fools most people into thinking they are watching a widescreen DVD at the minimum, if not actual HD content. I think that these super-HD fixed pixels displays are not at all what they are cracked up to be. :p

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

*Shrugs* fine. 16:9 stretched to 16:10? oh ***** its the end of video gaming! Who can I turn to?

15. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eh , maybe i'm just confused. 2 weeks to go..

16. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Not at all. The man has a point--the last half of the N64's life, and all of the Gamecube's life most of the games were meant for five year olds. I hope Nintendo does something brilliant with the Wii. Mario and Zelda aren't enough to attract the majority of people over the age of 15.

No disrespect to anyone on here; I know there's a lot of huge Nintendo fans on the forum. That's fine. From my observations just about everywhere else Nindendo has a really, really, bad rep as being a kiddy company.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Short answer:
    Yes

Long answer:
    Yes, but one or two lazy game developers haven't put support for it in their games. Most games will support it though. Zelda supports 16:9 widescreen with progressive scan via component for example, native full widescreen :)

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Do you seriously believe that Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Super Smash Bros Melee, Resident Evil 4, Wind Waker, etc were meant for five year olds?

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

He's using a stereotype. Just because GTA didn't hit the GC (though did hit the GBA). The way I see it Nintendo has always aimed at age-less games. Mario, F-Zero (Especially), Smash Bros and co are games that require a lot of skill to complete, way more than a kid. These games aren't just universal. They're meant for game players, not people who have to be seen playing the in game.

20. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Most people didn't care for Wind Waker. Metroid Prime 2...great, out of how many other lame games? Super Smash Bros Melee...good game for mutliplayer but does get rather bland after completing single player mode within a few hours. The Resident Evil games were mature, I'll give em that; not my cup of tea, however.

Those are my opinions. Trust me, I am not against Nintendo; I own every Nintendo system, including the Virtual Boy. I just look Nintendo's past, and current selection of games for the Gamecube and DS and am disappointed.

Macrumors is really one of the only places I know of where Nintendo has a massive following. Again, that's great...I'm a Nintendo supporter too so long as I like the games. If you think I'm bashing Nintendo, go talk to some casual gamers at a local school--not hardcore gamers that belong to forms, clans, and have almost lost all of their social lives, but gamers that like to purchase a system and occasionally play--and see what Nintendo's rep is. You'll most likely find a decreasing following for the "Big N" company simply because of the games.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Uh-huh. Doesn't answer the question. You claimed these games were designed for five year olds. Frankly, I find most people who played it didn't mind Wind Waker, it's just that the few people who did are very outspoken.

Opinions are opinions. Resident Evil games aren't my type of games either; I never bought Resident Evil 4. But I disagree with the "GameCube games are for five year olds!" assessment.

As for the local schools; you're right. You know why? It's because high school kids are a bunch of idiots. This is coming from me (an 18 year old). Teenagers are obsessed with playing "cool", "mature" games. If it's not GTA, Resident Evil or Halo, it's "uncool". If blood and guts aren't raining everywhere while people have sex it's "kiddie". Talk to any male teenager for any length of time and you'll realize that they DON'T look for good gameplay, they look for blood and gore and "mature" content before they label a game good.

Do you have any idea how many teenagers I know think that Need for Speed: Most Wanted is one of the greatest racing games of all time? Because it has a "gangster" style and has you "tricking out your car" and other "cool" features, it's cool, even though the gameplay sucks. Zelda? What? It's colorful and not bloody? TEH KIDDIE!

The sad thing is I'm not exaggurating here. Teenagers tick me off immeasurably.

The gamers at GameStop (especially the employees) all play Nintendo (there are Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo fans there, but they play games on each console). Meanwhile, the teenager customers are usually the most irritating ("Nintendo? That's for little kids! I'm going to buy GTA! Mom, can you buy it for me please?" I've heard that from 12 year olds.)

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You mustn't have seen the Playstation 2's library. God knows how many games came out for it but look at them. For every millionth game theres one that's actually worth playing.

Interestingly if you look at the top 10 games on MetaCritic, 3 are Nintendo games (Zelda on top, duh), 3 are Sony, 3 are Sega and 1 is Microsoft (non 360). :cool: not that it's proving any point mentioned here. it's just interesting. BUT if you would like it to mean something; 2 out of 3 Sony games were on every system (1 being out on Xbox too). Quality over quantity? I'm sad to not see MGS in the absolute top 10.

^and agrees with Praxis. I only realised recently that some of my mates do the whole "mature" gaming thing. Of course they're also the womanising ones who sob whenever they can't get a girl, but that's another story. Windwaker did suck cuz Link looks like a PowerPuff girl though :rolleyes: which completely alters the gameplay, somehow!

23. Oblivious macrumors 6502

That doesn't make those developers 2nd Party, it just means they made an exclusive title.

A 2nd Party is an independent game developer that is owned by a 1st Party. For example, Retro Studios is a 2nd Party because they are owned by Nintendo. Bungie is a 2nd Party because it is owned by Microsoft.

Anyway, I think that Nintendo has received a ton of interest from developers, and most of them are planning titles to come out in the future. But since the Wii is so atypical, it may take them awhile to develop their games so that they play correctly. They want to spend time with the console and explore the possibilities to make the most effective game possible. Or at least that is how I would like to see it. :p

24. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Oh please. If you look at my post again in one place I said "five year olds," and in another I talked about Nintendo attracting people over 15 years old; my "five year olds" comment was an exaggeration. Anyone can see that.

I hope you never run a major company which revolves around people's likes and interests--you just called the majority of people who actually purchase these gaming consoles "idiots."

I've had the opposite experience with Wind Waker. I liked the game--never finished it--but liked it. However, most people I know didn't care for it. Whatever.

"Cool" sells. Get use to it. Blood, guts, and violence sell too; that's why you're always reading about some horrible event in the paper and/or seeing commericals for the next hardcore action movie like the upcoming James Bond on the television. It's not just the "teenage" sector of people attracted to that. All ages are.

People love the Need for Speed games because of those reasons you listed. You're absolutely right. Know why? It's called innovation. Something that Nintendo has always tried to be too--innovative (in terms of their hardware mainly). Need for Speed is innovative in allowing people to "trick" out their vehicles. It's something new. When that gets old something else innovative in the racing genre will come out which will allow players to trick out their vehicles, AND MORE. Faster and more complex is better. It sells. It's the same reason car manufactures keep upping the horse power and gadgets on their cars every year--faster and more complexity sells because its "innovative."

The thing about Nintendo games is that they aren't lacking in innovation, but are lacking in challenge (with the exception of a few), and a mature story line. That's my point.

It's quite true that there are rarely good games for Sony's and Microsoft's consoles too. However, in my eyes, Nintendo is the worst. But hey, it's my opinion. Be happy with your consoles and enjoy the new Zelda. I know I will...if it still does come out for my Gamecube as Nintendo promised over a year ago that it would.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'll let you say NGC was lacking some games that other system got...but how can you be angry with DS games? It has tons of great games!