So where is this Powerbook update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iBrockingBEATS, Oct 28, 2004.

1. iBrockingBEATS macrumors newbie

ok, so none of us are really in the know, but given Xmas is just around the corner i would have thought that any PB speed updates or revamps would be here by now.

anyone heard of anything in the pipeline, or is it just more speculation?

i cant wait to change from the dark side (PC's) over to the Mac's and want to buy a 12" powerbook or if i can afford it 15". im going to be using it for excessive music playing, and then hopefully production, and also will be usign it heavily for photo's and when i learn - graphic design, if there are updates around the corner, i dont think i could live with myself if i missed them by a couple of week (if i bought now)

also, would any updates to the pb's come with a hike in price??

thanks guys and girls

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

A week or so back, Apple announced that there would be no PowerBook updates before the holiday season. Although it makes sense to make such an announcement if only to keep the current rev moving, I doubt they would tell an outright lie, so I'm betting it is true. Most folks expect at least a speed bump and other ups at MWSF in January.
    Apple does not typically up the price when upgrades come out, and the PB line is already right pricey compared to PC laptops and even the iBook, so I'd think the price will not rise this time.
    If you have to have a new PowerBook in the next few weeks, I'd buy. The current crop will do everything you have listed quite well, given the proper amount of RAM (at least 512, 768 or 1GB is better) and maybe the 80GB/5400 rpm hd. If you can afford to wait, you should see something interesting in another 10 weeks.
    Either way, welcome to Apple. We're mostly a fun bunch. Not what you'd expect from cultists :)

4. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Isn't this getting a bit silly? Enough with the PB speculation already.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Someone please just shut this thread down, enough already with the PB updates. Apple has explicitly stated there will be no updates until 2005, and as edesignuk quoted, there is an actual MacRumors article explaining this, if people would just take the time to do a little research and read.

No PwerBooks updates until 2005. And I doubt we'll be seeing them right away in 2005 either - look for an announcement at MWSF at the earliest, but nothing tangible until much later.... :cool:

6. iBrockingBEATS thread starter macrumors newbie

well thats put that to bed then

good job im thick skinned

cheers

7. Dalriada macrumors 6502

Would also buy now but personally i'm awaiting next weeks (??) OS X 10.3.6 revision before purchasing a 12"pb as seems there are a lot of improvements/fixes in that update. :)

8. djkny macrumors 6502

Apple didn't "explicitly" say anything....They had a marketing pawn note that the current line will be the "line offered throughout the holidays." That says nothing of possible speed bumps "within the line." We can infer no G5 PB's for sure but that's about all....

If they were adamant about warning the public, the Leader himself would've said something ...

9. FlyOnTheWall macrumors newbie

Why the Discounts on Powerbooks From Apple?

After following these threads over the years, I finally broke down and registered.

Why is Apple offering discounts on their Powerbooks?

I've had a saved order (a 1.5 GHz 15" Powerbook) on the site for two days now. And twice apple called and offered me a minimum of $200 off.

In my opinion this could only mean one thing -- unload current inventory to make way for upgraded powerbooks.

Anyone have any thoughts?

10. djkny macrumors 6502

Say what?? How did you get the $200 discount? Are you frequent purchaser of Apple products? I don't get how these "secret" discount/coupons get mailed to customers from time to time.... based on your per capita??

11. FlyOnTheWall macrumors newbie

I didn't do anything other than customize a powerbook online yesterday and then saved the order online. Since then I've received two telephone calls offering $200 off, if I purchased very soon.

12. dawntreader macrumors newbie

That is very interesting indeed. I've also read a few post's in Apple discussions about 12" powerbook shipping delays. I'm looking to buy a PB in the next month or two, so I am watching very closely. I really expect new PB's in January. I will probably end up waiting until Steve's keynote at the WWDC before ordering anything.

As for all the people who are tired of reading about PB speculation, fine, don't read it. Move on to another thread and let those of us who want to speculate do so free from harassment. This is macRUMORS isn't it?

13. djkny macrumors 6502

Fly,
    Just did the same thing. Let's see if I get that call from Apple, too. If so, watch me pull out that CC in lightning speed.

14. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I've been seeing posts and murmurings about Apple following up on saved orders for a while now, sometimes with offers like that, sometimes not. Unless discounts are truly widespread (which would indicate clearing inventory) I wouldn't attribute it to much more than sales policies unless one wanted to contribute to unfounded speculation. ;)

15. FlyOnTheWall macrumors newbie

djkny...Keep me posted on if they call you too.

16. dawntreader macrumors newbie

No deal for me

I just went to the Apple store and checked saved orders. I have a powerbook order saved there, and it has been there for about 1 1/2 weeks. I have heard nothing from Apple so far. Who knows?

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yeah, some here seem to be on the watch for repeated questions, spelling, and grammar.

With the PB's and the next revision. Wonder what some will say if there is a November or December surprise, and an statement from Apple that said they changed their minds to meet the demands of the consumer. :)