Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I like it. I've tried Adium, but MSN is the only IM client I used before I switched from Windows, so I didn't really feel the need to get used to a new interface. I don't miss any of the features that the OSX version lacks, and I've never experienced the stability issues people talk about.

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
Most of my friends are on MSN and that's what I use - Its no iChat and that's fine with me - i like the idea that I have only a handfull of people I know who use Mac and I reserve iChat for them, but for everyday use I use MSN its simple and does not have those commercial and other sh*t that MSN for PC has.

Pants Dragon

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Until they add voice and webcam support I hate it. It's batter than that Windows Live Messenger for Windows though.

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Until they add voice and webcam support I hate it. It's batter than that Windows Live Messenger for Windows though.
I totally agree. It's a decent text chat program, but I'll hate using it until it actually has the same features as Windows (at least voice and video chat...come on!)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I think it's fine, I have an account and use it reasonably often. The program is simple and easy to use. I don't see anything wrong with it, other than the windows logo on almost every window.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
if it had audio and video i'd like it more. That and if it'd actually HOLD my 'personal message' for my contacts. I have to redo it every single time.

The only thing that really really annoys me though would be the windows live logo. I can go back in and delte it but when they updated it they all came back. Ugh.

apattee

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2006
use amsn and you have webcam support. better program too, and looks the same.

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
I like messenger for Mac! I think It's great that all the annoying features never made it to Mac, so noone can send me "a wink" or what not - I'm using microsoft software and is free of the typical microsoft "we'll make it as annoying as possible too use your computer" stuff...

for voice and video I've got skype, I never used the video or voice thing in messenger on PC, because I thought skype was better! I don't even want all my contacts in messenger to be able to do a voice or video conference with me because so many people I don't really know is on it! I think messenger for mac is perfect as it is now!

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
I stopped using MSN for windows when my messenger window had more adverts and tabs than space for chat text. Nudges and winks were all part of the final straw. At that point I moved to Trillian and since moving to a mac I use adium and cant see me ever moving back to msn.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I do not not hate Messenger. :cool:

Seriously, it's not even a Microsoft thing, it's the simple fact that it isn't a nice piece of software to work with and it is inferior to many other products out there. :cool:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
is there support for built in iSight in anything? I wanna use it on the msn network if possible..

If your built-in iSight works with iMovie, I believe that it should work with Mercury Messenger, since the developer has mentioned that he's using the same method to access it.

I use Mercury Messenger, even when I'm not using iSight, mainly because MSN/Microsoft Messenger for Mac OS X has always had problems such as disconnecting abruptly and not being able to send messages occasionally. It's not the greatest but the developer continues to update it. Version 1.8 was released in August and version 1.9 should be released in a few weeks from now.

You can also use aMSN but the lack of capability to use Asian languages was a barricade for me.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
don't use 6.0 unless you need the features. i still use 5.1.1. no annoying windows icon here

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
I used aMSN on my Powerbook, when I got my iMac I tried the official MSN but eventually moved back to aMSN, there's just so much more to do.

The main thing I missed was nudges to wake the people upstairs up when I needed them to open their door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.