So, who is buying a PSP tomorrow (UK release day)?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AlBDamned, Aug 31, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

It's in the news, it's on BBC and Sony are saying it's going to dominate. GAME has sold out, even my old flatmate rang me last night to ask where her friend could buy one from and 'would they be sold out'!

The question is, is it hype, or will there actually be an iBook stampede-like occasion with people wetting themselves to get their hands on Sony's little black wonder-machine ( ;) ).

I've had one for about a month with Ridge Racer (superb) and Dead To Rights (Ok, but iffy camera and controls and not enough weapons) and think it's great, who in the UK will be queuing tomorrow (at 8am or whatever?!).

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oh this is england, pip pip. we do things more reserved here.

Gamestation in Manchester have sold out of PSP's... or they had 3 left a week ago. but then i found out that Gamestation only got about 100 or so.

Game havent got that many pre-orders. could be cuz they were charging waaay more... could be that people who wanted a portable PS2 have already imported (its cheaper)...

I was looking at them thinking i wanted one. but the price pushed me back. its either £175 or £205 (forget which) for the value pack... i mean... for a handheld! no.
    not until its under £100 for me. and when its that price they should have some good games out.

iWait. iWait with Advance Wars DS.

3. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

*shrug*

PSP offers nothing very interesting, neither does the DS for that matter, pretty much the same old games with updated graphics :rolleyes: ok, so the DS has warioware and the like, that held my attention for 10mins in a store playing on their demo machine

I'll stick to my GBA with afterburner backlight, even if the case is translucent pink :eek: lol

Having said that, it could be interesting to see what they do with any sort of link between PSP and the PS3, and Rev' with the DS

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Disappointing..

Too few games, too short of battery life. Great idea, but a GameBoy DS or Advance is still the way to go for portable gaming...

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It also costs twice the price, which is just extortionate

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

LOL, so nobody is actually buying one then... general consensus is overpriced, lack of killer games and the DS has it beat.

It will still sell by the bucket-load I'm guessing.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Considering that the DS is outselling the PSP four-to-one in Japan, we'll see about them bucketloads...

8. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yes, the DS is outselling the PSP in the US and Asia, but we're talking several million Vs 4x Several million, so 'selling by the bucketloads' will still likely ring true over here as well. Praxis, I know the mere mention of the PSP gets your blood boiling but please, give it a rest.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

NP I have no intention of starting a debate here.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

whats got my goat is in Game the PSP section is 2 shelves, whilst the DS only has 1, GBA with 1 too.

now. dont get me wrong. but what has the PSP done to deserve that? its got less games, it costs more, its sold less units worldwide.

sony really are pushing the PSP in Europe. just a shame everyone has a DS. the way a lot of my mates see it is tomorrow they could either get a PSP with no games, or Advance Wars DS, Kirby, Nintendogs, and another 3-4 other games for the same price.

the words missing and boat come to mind.

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

If they were *really* pushing the PSP they release it at a reasobale price that makes people like me ignore its limitations :).

I'd quite like a nice handheld gaming machine but not at that kinda money, unless it contained a 4GB HD

12. Cfly macrumors regular

i bought mine when it launched in canada on march 24th and i am very happy with it.

i like alot of the games and watching family guy and tv shows i download on it is sweet.

alot of the games coming in the future look pretty sweet as well.

13. PixelFactory macrumors regular

While the PSP has been outsold by the DS 2 to 1 in Japan, it is almost dead even in the states even with the DS six month lead.

Link

The PSP is selling well. It gets more shelf space for two reasons. 1. More content. Yes, movies do count. 2. Sony clout. I think it is only a matter of time before the PSP outsells the DS in the states. Especially when some of the key apps are released (Madden, Grand Theft Auto, Burnout, SOCOM, Winning Eleven, Splinter Cell).

14. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

At £179 for the 'value' pack, it is pricey. I would not want to be a parent with a couple of kids, begging me for it at Christmas. Considering it's being billed as 'the must have' Christmas gift. Ouch.

Saying that though, when you look at compared to other similarly priced consumer electronics like an iPod (just an example), plenty of people do spend that sort of money (and a whole lot more) on these sort of things. I'm not sure its targeted properly at that price, but it will sell at that price, just maybe not as much as it could do.

15. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Who says PSP has fewer good games - or games period - than the DS? If you go to gamespot.com or IGN.com, among several other major review sites, you'll notice that they all seem to agree that the DS offers very few must-have games.

Nintendogs looks neat, but even its most effervescent reviewers admit that it is great fun only in very small doses. Advance wars seems like a good game, but the graphics look terrible. As a fan of Lumines on the PSP, Meteos seems like a must-have. And Mario 64 - been there, done that. A few extra stars does not a new game make.

Wipeout Pure, for example, on the PSP is much more than a remake. Only a few tracks from earlier editions have been included, these being graphically redesigned. The rest are original, as is the music.

Am I supposed to believe that a predominantly late teen and adult macrumors crowd is really excited about Mario Kart, when Burnout Legends ships for the PSP in a few weeks?

If you need your platformers, get a GBA and forget the DS with its Metroid #$% tease. The PSP isn't really worth it unless you actually play games on the go, not on your couch, though it's great for watching movies in a public restroom when you need a quick "fix". I'm surpised that alone hasn't sold more "units".

16. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

What makes a 20gb iPod at £209 better value than a £179 PSP value pack??

The only thing that is better value about the iPod is the 20gb Hard Drive, the PSP has a beautiful widescreen, and many functions from gaming and videos to jukebox.....Whereas the iPod has a 65,000 colour screen and 2 functions; music and photos.....

I am not flaming the iPod but I am trying to make a point that for £179 the PSP is not extortionate when you take into account the machine must be costing Sony alot to make and they surely do not have a huge profit margin on the PSP, they are trying to recoup on games...

You have to take account what the PSP can do;
    -Games
    -Photos
    -Videos
    -Music
    -Web browser

And as for battery life today i was on a 2 hour flight with my PSP playing virtua tennis most the way and i had been using the PSP in the train to the airport and my battery only dropped down to 82%.....The battery is not as bad as people make out it can easily last up to 10 hours and replacements can be purchased cheaply...

Anyway advice to people planning to buy a PSP, only buy if you know you are going to use it, don't impulse buy or you will be dissapointed, not initially because it is stunning,

ShadOW

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Now again I'm not going to start an arguement, but you're being very vague here.

I'm NOT going to argue about PSP as a games system. That depends on the gamer and what type of game you like. I'm going to stay out of that.

Just think about this.

-Games (great)
    -Photos (go buy a bigger memory card)
    -Videos (sure, if you like spending twice as much as a DVD for lower quality and smaller screen)
    -Music (not without a bigger memory card)
    -Web browser (if you like typing with the d-pad)

Most of the functions of the PSP aren't useful without spending MORE money on the memory card, which is why I advocate that if you buy a PSP buy it as a games machine, NOT as a multimedia device. It's a jack of all trades master of none scenario with the non-gaming functions. The videos cost more than a DVD but the screen is smaller than a portable player, it's larger than an MP3 player and more expensive and has a much lower capacity, etc.

Fine for games, but to be honest I could care less about the multimedia extras. They're just that; extras. It doesn't make the PSP less expensive or make it do its job better.

You say what makes the 20 GB iPod a better value than the PSP value pack?

Hm...20 GB vs 32 MB. You can spend $100 on the PSP memory card to give it the capacity if an...iPod Shuffle.

If you want music, get an iPod. If you want games and maybe one or two tracks there's the PSP. PSP = for games. iPod = for music.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The only UMD movie i've seen advertised thus far has been that triple X thing.

please, somebody, tell me why anybody would actually pay money for a UMD movie? dont they cost more than a DVD, limit you to watching it on a small screen AND have a lower quality compared to DVD?

its like these GBA Movies that are coming out. My guess is the UMD is on par with that. its worse than totally pointless technology, its expensive pointless tech.

as for the whole cost argument; its competition costs just under HALF of the PSP. for value the DS is king, or the SP right now. its not really a big deal if an iPod costs £30-40 more, thats a dedicated and highly successful mass music player. not a jack of all trades. i dont understand :(

19. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

There was an article on slate.com recently about how the lack of PSP games (so far) has UMD movies selling pretty well. A lot of hardcore gamers rushed out to buy a PSP, then when they found out how few games there were, had to buy movies so they could get more use out of them.

My guess is that Sony rushed it to market because of the DS competition, even though there weren't many titles ready yet.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

and now they're feeling it in the UK. me, my girlfriend and my sister all got special pre-release DS's (VIPs :p) and that was way back in Feb. its like my local Game has more GB Micro preorders than PSP (although i reckon thats down to Game charging a fortune, AND people who wanted a PSP already have one).

my local Game is opening at 8am tomorrow morning though. a whole 30 minutes before normal :eek: ;)

21. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I totally agree GFLpraxis with what most people ahve to say, i am just making a point that i personally don't think that the PSP value pack at £179 is particularly expensive for what you get.....I know alot of people disagree but they fail to take into account that the PSP is a well built machine with many functions and is expensive to build unlike the DS and therefore Sony simply cannot afford to sell it for much cheaper than £179, i can't see it dropping below £130 in the next 3 years because it will be hugely popular and will sell in bucket loads even at £179,

Anyway no arguments just my point of view,

ShadOW

22. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The PSP was also released in Australia today. Most stores had a special openning at midnight which means there must of been a lot of pre-orders here. Most gamers I know (myself included) bought their PSPs when they were released in Japan. I'm glad it finally got released here, now I can just walk in to a store and buy games, no more importing. :)

I still find it interesting that we have 1 or 2 (um 2) guys here that have to hijack every PSP thread and bring up the DS. Jesus guys get over it. You like your DSs, I hated mine, I love my PSP big F'ng deal! Who really cares? Maybe I should jump on every DS thread and say "Mario is t3h suX0r buy a PSP!"? Both portables have been out for 9+ months, and it's obvious to everyone that there is no portable war, both portables are here to stay. How about you guys give it a rest?

23. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

It seems to happen with any thread about a particular game system. It's as if some people feel the need to justify their choice by tearing down someone else's. It's OK to have preferences, people. If video games get you that riled up, you might need to get out more.

24. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Hi,

I bought a PSP in Japan in last April for a friend, and played around with it during my stay there and the flight back to Europe.

I thought it was a really nice item, with an amazing screen and a very good quality of game.

So, as far as gaming is concerned, it's cool for me.

Regarding the battery, it left me down after hours of playing in the plane, which was more than enough - just a good reason to stop before my eyes turned square -. Outside of a 15h flight, I don't usually stay so long away from a plug...

Regarding the rest of the available functions: ok, Sony tried to put up a lot when it comes to the real possibilities, but it's not that bad, it's more "options" than "reasons to buy"; what do you think of the games on the iPod ?

I agree a good memory card is a must to enjoy it, but once you get one, it opens doors.

I don't know about the details, but there are some software in the PC-world to let you encode movies to the PSP format, so you can load them on the card. Ie, bring a copy of some of your dvd's with you, instead of buying a limited UMD.

Oh well, it's a nice toy, even though expensive. :rolleyes:

Why I don't own one ? Got a PS2 home and an iPod photo for the road (music and photos); don't want more reasons for anti-social addictions :p

A!

25. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Get a DS with Advanced Wars: DS, Kirby Canvas Curse, Meteos, Nanostray, Mario 64 DS, Nintendogs, and Warioware: Twisted (it's just gba, but much better than touched) and then tell me the PSP is worth all that money...