Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
So I'm just installing 7B28, after having looked briefly at 7B21, I’m looking forward to having a play about with it.
Has anyone found anything 'neat' in Panther, anything Apple haven't mentioned in their spiel, but that you have noticed and thought to be a great feature? TELL US ABOUT THEM!

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're not allowed to discuss Panther in public yet, no?

I'll defy the powers that be by saying:

It's very very stable (the WWDC build - for me anyway) - enough so that I've installed it on all 4 of my macs.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well after installing 28 the 2nd time in a row, panther rendered me a standard user, stripping me of my admin access, thus locking me out of my own computer.

iJon

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by mstecker
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're not allowed to discuss Panther in public yet, no?
Not as far as I know, I don't see why it wouldn't be either? Maybe you have seen something I haven't?

BTW, posting from Panther now! Just copied over all my Safari & Camino prefs ;) iDisk syncing as we speak!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by iJon
well after installing 28 the 2nd time in a row, panther rendered me a standard user, stripping me of my admin access, thus locking me out of my own computer.

iJon
Oh dear, that doesn't sound so good. As yet I haven't had any problems...*fingers crossed*

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by edesignuk
Oh dear, that doesn't sound so good. As yet I haven't had any problems...*fingers crossed*
well if i remembered right this happened to me in 21 as well. but i havent had the problem on my powermac, just my powerbook. so i gotta look more into it.

iJon

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Are there any speed increases at all? ie: improvements to Quartz Extreme?

Im running a 1gHz TiBook and was just wondering.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by agreenster
Are there any speed increases at all? ie: improvements to Quartz Extreme?

Im running a 1gHz TiBook and was just wondering.
yes big speed improvments. my powerbook actually boots up between 30-45 seconds. new dvd player with 5.1 support. disk copy and utility have merged. i dont know if there is improvments in qe, but expose runs under it. all in all its pretty good, although i dont think its as shocking as jaguar.

iJon

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
OMG! The way the fast user switching thing works is just the coolest thing I have ever seen. Anyone with a notebook @ college/uni will have some serious bragging rights with this feature, it just looks so damn cool, and is perfectly smooth. AWSOME!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
tho most people at college don't share computers with roomates... each has their own, at least in my experience. So there's really no need to even have more than one user...

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I must say - panther is lightning fast. I use it for most things but my video editing (need guarenteed working).

Really, And I am only running 7A. (too lazy to install 7B)

I will tell you something though - i find the anti-aliasing much better in Panther.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Just discovered this today:

In Jaguar, the password box ignores the Caps Lock key.

In Panther (7B), it gives you a little symbol to tell you the Caps Lock is on.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I'm running Panther (and no, I'm not a developer), and while the person who gave it to me warned about problems (he reinstalled Jaguar after using Panther), I've had no problems (except for a single Kernel Panic triggered by unplugging a digital camera while iPhoto was running).

I wouldn't say it's necessarily "faster", but Jaguar didn't run too fast on my G4 iMac to begin with (let's face it, 800 MHz just isn't that much processor power these days), although extra RAM always gives a needed boost there.

I really like the new Finder, it's definitely easier to navigate than before (although it was pretty easy to begin with). The Mail's not to different from the old one, and I will say that the "treadded mail" can be a pain sometimes.

Generally speaking, I like the improvements and haven't had any reason to reformat my drive and completely reinstall Jaguar.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
one other thing - i do not think that panther has yet implemented active corners for screen saver.

just a warning.

(if it has can someone send me the prefpane and ss service so i can use it. thanx)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by thebossisback
BTW, where do you get Panther so early??
If you are a paying ADC (Apple Developer Connection) member, you get access to developer (beta) builds, but you're covered by a NDA that strictly prohibits you from distributing them.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
Is that so?

P. S.
I'm running in Jaguar

Huh. That's interesting -- never saw that before. Guess they changed it when I wasn't looking. :)

In Panther, that caps lock icon appears in the password box at the right side, in all password boxes in the system, including the initial login screen.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
A question for someone running panther: for fast user switching, does it just give you a list of users, or can you type a username and password. If you can, what happens if you try to log in as >console ?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
A question for someone running panther: for fast user switching, does it just give you a list of users, or can you type a username and password. If you can, what happens if you try to log in as >console ?

It gives you a list of currently logged in users with the option Login Window at the bottom. I will try >console in a second (thought I'd post this in case it breaks something!)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by robbieduncan
It gives you a list of currently logged in users with the option Login Window at the bottom. I will try >console in a second (thought I'd post this in case it breaks something!)

OK tried to log in as console (after changing preferences to allow username/password login) but it did not work at all. Sorry!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.