So who wants to port HL2 to the Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nermal, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Here's the source code, get going :D

Disclaimer: This post is just for fun, I accept no responsibilty for the legality of that code, blah blah, etc.
  2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003
    guess your going to have to change your signiture
  3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
  4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2002
    bat country
    I used to use windows because everyone else did and since i'm a game designer that's where the money is. Then one day, somebody exploited one of the many security holes in outlook express, stole the source code for a huge project i was working on, and posted it to the internet. I learned my lesson.

My name is Gabe Newell, and I'm a Switcher

wow, another ms security hole. at least it didn't affect anything important that has the potential to cost a company millions of dollars. oh, wait...
  5. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    South Pole

People are already posting what they read in the code comments, who wrote what.

I really like Valve, but given their reliance on Windows - part of me is happy this happened. Part of the reason MS owns 95% of the market is developers who only support one platform. John Carmack understands why multiplatforms are important. Why don't developers do what they are good at, and copy Carmack's policy on platforms.

Valve should sue. All their work on AI, mods, Steam security, anti cheat code, physics, VoIP, shaders is in the hands of their competition. This code can be 'paraphrased' and used in commercial games.

This is a good 3-4 years worth of royalties (game engine licensing) down the toilet. I could hire an army of 120-IQ Bulgarians to maintin this code for less than the cost of a license.

I also read that the same guy who started Class Action suits against tobacco is starting one against MS for secuirty holes. I can not imagine better fodder for his case.

Valve, and ATI - who just paid $7 million to distribute HL2 with their cards, should sue.
  6. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2002
    Even microsoft stores their source code in Unix machine, who will put the entire source code on a winblows machine, which is going to get hacked all the time.
  7. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    South Pole
    Good question. Gabe Newell used to work for MS, maybe that is why he takes chances like this.