So, who works as a Genius around here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrzeve, Dec 18, 2006.

1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

I recently got a call from Apple expressing their interest in me working as a Mac Genius.

I was wondering if anyone around here has worked for Apple as a Genius, or any other shape or form of the job.

What is the job environment like? Do you absolutely hate it?

How is the pay and what are your hours like?

How old are you?

How did your interview go and do you have any tips?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I am analogous to an Apple Genius, though I am not employed by Apple.

You're unlikely to find anyone here that is currently working for Apple, as Apple employees are bound by a non-disclosure agreement and aren't supposed to participate in online forums (amongst other things).

From what I've heard, the pay for an Apple Genius is quite low in comparison to an equivalent in the world. I know when I looked at it once upon a time, I was singularly unimpressed in the pay cut I would have had to take in order to be a "Genius". From what I've heard, nothing has changed much in the last 3 years or so.

3. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

OK, with the number of Apple Stores opening up is it really possible to have that many geniuses? When I went to an Apple Store in the UK recently the genius bar was simply advertising iLife in a very general way. Of course in the Apple Store the staff are less pushy, you get free use of all the kit without being frowned upon or having to ask for a demo, and presumably you don't get insurance packages rammed down your throat for a £10 cable (although I don't know for sure, because I've never bought there). So they are good, but can the whole genius thing be upheld on anything more than a superficial level with the volume of stores opening?

4. TDPHunter macrumors member

TDPHunter

Yeah, usually they don't make over 50k a year and your almost better just to have your on fix' and repair business. Not sure what benefits you get though.. that might be the keeper : P

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You seem to overestimate the qualifications needed for becoming a genius... :)