So, who's camping for the Wii?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sethypoo, Nov 8, 2006.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Camping has been on my mind for weeks, and I'm pretty much done planning. I've got my supplies for wet weather (oh, the joys of Northern California in November), and I'm set to camp with a friend.

So, are you camping? Has anyone camped before for a console release? It'd be great if we could get some tips for survive inclement weather and other camping woes.

I'm in a dilemma as whether or not to set up a tent. On the plus side, a tent would keep me and my friend really dry. On the down side, a tent would obstruct my view of everyone else in line.

BTW, I'll be at a Target.

2. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

I'll be in Maine camping out in the snow (got my cold-weather gear and possibly a cold-cut ready to be made). I'll be camping at a Wal-Mart by myself in the middle of the night (dangerous!) from around midnight to 6AM, when this Wal-Mart opens. Hopefully I'm not the only one there, but the first to arrive.

I still need to talk to the manager as to how many and when...

3. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

My local Walmart will be doing a midnight launch. I'm planning to head up there around 4 just to check the scene out and hope to be "in line" at around 6. Beauty of the 24 hour is that I can sit inside, get some food, etc. I might nap a bit because I'll be up until late Sunday playing Zelda.

As a side note, I think most the Wii launch games look dumb. I'm buying a Wii for Zelda. Mark my words, Twilight is going to be heralded as the best game ever made for years to come. And I hate to say it but 4 out of 5 Wii games will be gimmicky and get old fast. However, the other 1 in 5 will be the balls.

PS. this is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R did not exist.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If just 1 in 5 games are good then christ above! Out of the Cubes library I'd say 8 are must haves, Xbox with 2 and PS2 with. um. (quick balance it out!) PS1 had 6 must haves.

I know what you mean though. It'd be like the DS. Where some games don't use the control properly, other games will have incredible controls. It's all balance I suppose.

5. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Where in Northern California are you? I'm in Davis, don't want any extra competition... :eek:

6. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

My plan to to drive to target before 7.00AM...one with 81 units, and I think I'll get one. If not I'll drive around for to some other stores, and we'll see how it goes.

If I don't get it I'll pick up some Cube and Ds games to hold me over!

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Nor I.

Call me when Mario returns.

9. SBleed@mchsi.co macrumors member

SBleed@mchsi.co

I'd say each of those systems has more must have's than you've listed. I know people generally exclude games that are on all platforms, but sometimes the copmany does like with Soulcalibur 2 and gives each console it's own unique version. But thnx for sticking up for the Cube it was an awsome system, just like the Dreamcast, but no one really gave them the credit they deserve.

I'm praying to god that Nintendo finally makes a comeback.

Oh, and no campin for me, too cold. Hopefully the Wii will have enough units available that people wont have to camp for days. Camping for the PS3 I could understand doin since they're only shipping what, like 400,000 units. That's not even enough to cover 1/8 of the people that want a PS3. Why did Sony do that anyway? Was it a production problem.

10. Malus macrumors 6502

I'm going to a 24 hour walmart....goin around 7pm on saturday. Hopfully get one of those tickets so I can go home and go back 2 hours later...I only like about 5 mins away so its no big.

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

Hooray for the 24-hour Wal-Mart. I'm actually gonna go by there sometime this coming week to find out how exactly they plan on doing the launch. Then I'll make my decision of how I'm going to secure a Wii (at Wal-Mart of course).

:D Mitch is/was so great. :D

Part of Sony's problem is that the went with technology that is very new and bleeding edge. There's always bound to be some issues with production on new technologies. The problem is compounded by the fact that Sony is using not one, but two bleeding edge technologies-- The cell processor and the blu-ray drive. Each one has production issues on its own--low yields-- which puts delays in the PS3 production schedule.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For us Brits

I know of an independent retailer in the Glossop area that are apparently opening up midnight for the Wii launch. I'll ask around Manchester tomorrow to see if the city decides to open early, for us brits like.

Oh, and there are 24 hour Asda's and Tesco's all over the place now.

13. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I have to say, camping out isn't my cup of tea. Looking at the numbers in my area, i don't think I will have too much problems on getting one. I think i'll skip Best Buy and head for Target. The local target in my area is getting 39. Then you add the others in the area, that says I have a good chance of getting one.

I'm going to try a midnight launch at Meijer. Prolly haven't heard of it out west, but it's a big box store in the midwest. It's like a Walmart Supercenter except it has some ethics. I would try to get one at Walmart if i didn't detest it so.

I'm going to ask Target when they open and get there about 2 hrs before they open. That should get me ample time to socalize with the people outside and get their scoop on things, perhaps i'll get some good pics and quotes for my blog.

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I can but I probably won't. I'm on a list at a smaller shop and when they get their shipment they're just going to call down the list and if you already have one they'll move onto the next person. I'm already bogged down with Guitar Hero 2, Gears of War, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Call of Duty 3, and fairly soon Rainbow Six Vegas... yeah it'd be nice to get one on the 19th but it's not like I don't have other things to occupy my time.

15. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I'll be going to a 24hr Walmart around 7:30pm. I asked about the launch the other day, they said they would start lining people up at 8pm. I don't know if all Walmarts are doing this or not, but I'd check. I want to get there a little early, but not too early to where I annoy the people who work there and they tell me I can't get one. :eek:

If I can't get one there (ie I read they're only passing out as many tickets as they have consoles at 10pm), I'll drive by a Super Walmart and try there. If that fails, I'll either go really early in the morning to a Target or another Walmart way out in the boonies where there probably won't be anyone camping out.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My WalMart is giving out numbers starting at 10 PM - so you wait in line for a number and come back later and get the console.

I'll probably go and check things out around 7 ish or so, if there are more than 50 people in line by then, I might not stay.

D

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

"I have long hair. Long hair's associated with drug use. I wish long hair was associated with something else. Like: An extreme longing for cake. Mothers be telling their daughters: 'Don't bring that cake-eater over here anymore. He smells like flour. Did you see how excited he got when he heard your birthday was fast-approaching?'"

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I might be doing the same thing. I'm probably going to wait until Mario or SSBB comes out for it.

19. foreign macrumors newbie

not i. i have a Walmart, EBGames and a Zellers (a Target kind of shop) right next to each other. i'm positively sure that i'll be able to get my hands on at least 1 of those :cool:

20. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Unfortunately, that'd mean going to Glossop. And from my experience, it's all very local round that end... :eek: ;)

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Tch! Hadfield's over the hills from Glossop! :D still spooky place though... :eek:

22. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hey! I'll have you know that a lot of my good friends from my sixth-form days came from Hadfield......so I can confirm that "The League..." is pretty much documenatry of reality...:D

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Be great when people say though "So where did you get you Wii from?" "Royston Vasey" :D :D *cue endless quotes from the show* . dare I say... my girlfriend went to school there :eek:

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Camping out for a wii.....HA good one. Theres only one game I want for the wii and its still not worth it plus its getting cold on these streets...I rather pick it up in the side shop...there will be plenty around my area.

Bless

25. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba