Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Saw it tonight and found it incredibly disturbing, and offensive...I laughed my head off. I had my doubts that they could take the funny commercials and make an entire movie but they did it.

So who's seen it and your thougts

PS. How crowded in your town took me three trys to finally get in.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Seen it twice over the weekend. I can't remember the last time the entire theater was packed and laugh our asses off!

Just wanted to point out, this only showed in 837 theaters in North America and hit number one, made over $26 Million! Anyone here have an idea what's the budget for it?

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
I have a friend who did marketing work for the pic so I'd heard about a few of the scenes ahead of time, and of course I've seen enough of Ali G to know what Borat's all about.

I think it may be one of those films where you have to go back and see it again to pick up on some of the stuff. Cohen works fast.

When I buy my wife, at the start her vagine work well and she strong on plow, but after three years when she was 15 ... her vagine hang like sleeve of wizard.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Best. Movie. Ever.

PS. How crowded in your town took me three trys to finally get in.

Sold out. We got in the 1st try because we bought tickets a few hours in advance.

The rodeo scene was hilarious, as was the naked wrestling at the hotel, as disturbing as that was.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I tried and got tickets out in some suburb and drove out there and found out that they were carding at the door the THEATRE. So I couldn't get in :mad:. ( I had fandango tickets which I picked up but I've got 5 months to go till I'm 17) This never happens in downtown Portland...Stupid suburbs...

I'm going to try again in downtown where the regal-cinema police aren't so vigilant. Or maybe I'll just go with my dad. I'm excited in any case.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I dont go to movies very often, but i went to see this one on opening night. My friend bought tickets about 2 hours early, and we waited in line for about 45 mins before it opened.

I thought it was very funny. Well worth the price of admission.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
Not released in Japan yet - but will probably wait for the Amazon.com dvd release as I do not want to be the only person LMAO at the theater in Japan (which is usually the case when I go to comedies here as the translations just don't seem to get any laughs)

Also, with movie ticket prices around $25.00 it is cheaper to get the dvd sent over...

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Not released in Japan yet - but will probably wait for the Amazon.com dvd release as I do not want to be the only person LMAO at the theater in Japan (which is usually the case when I go to comedies here as the translations just don't seem to get any laughs)

Also, with movie ticket prices around $25.00 it is cheaper to get the dvd sent over...

uhhh wow 25.00 thats a wee bit steep...ne way you wont be missing anything seeing it on dvd, borat's strong point isnt cinematic beauty.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
I hate Borat. I have never liked him or Ali G and have no intent of going to see the movie.

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Great movie. Couldnt stop laughing and neither could my girlfriend. But I guess I don't recommend it for a date becuase of the naked wrestling but besides that, awesome movie

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I hate Borat. I have never liked him or Ali G and have no intent of going to see the movie.

There we go, I was wondering when we'd get some controversy.

I personally think the character Borat is pure genius (aside from the antisemitism), and I'm going to see it tonight. The way Cohen interacts on the fly and manages to stay so deeply in character even in the most hilarious of times is very impressive.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
who is Borat? Commercials. Sorry never heard of him before. The previews look stupid to me. But from you all are saying I guess it is funny. Sounds like my kind of humor. Have to go with my brother. Hubby wouldn't like it.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
the thing that bothers me about the movie is the marketing. He was on the Today show twice, and he didn't break character. I can see him being in character for Leno or lettermen etc, but not the today show. WHen he was on it was at 7ish, they should have moved him to the 9ish slot and saved that time for news. How can matt lauer interview something like this especially with what happened in the news this weekend about Saddam.
Aside from that it still looks like one of those dumb movies that you should see kinda like jackass, so i'll prob end up seeing it :D

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
I think for everyone walking into that movie there will be scenes that will cause you to laugh your ass off and others which will make you turn away or think "this is stupid."

I found most of his material to be good, but the scenes involving the nudity and other gross items made me turn away. I am not into the "potty humor."

The "running of the Jew" and bed & breakfast scenes made me laugh the hardest.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
I personally think the character Borat is pure genius (aside from the antisemitism), and I'm going to see it tonight.

Errr...you *do* know that Sascha Baron Cohen is himself an observant Jew, right?

Right??? :confused:

Jeepers, maybe the Jewish Anti-Defamation League was right in expressing concern that some people might actually take the anti-semitism at face value :rolleyes: :eek:

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
It's a great movie to see with your friends :D Wait a week or two if you can, so that the lines won't be as long, though. I had a great time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.