So who's seen Borat? (the movie)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AP_piano295, Nov 5, 2006.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Saw it tonight and found it incredibly disturbing, and offensive...I laughed my head off. I had my doubts that they could take the funny commercials and make an entire movie but they did it.

So who's seen it and your thougts

PS. How crowded in your town took me three trys to finally get in.

2. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Seen it twice over the weekend. I can't remember the last time the entire theater was packed and laugh our asses off!

Just wanted to point out, this only showed in 837 theaters in North America and hit number one, made over $26 Million! Anyone here have an idea what's the budget for it?

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Under $20 million.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I have a friend who did marketing work for the pic so I'd heard about a few of the scenes ahead of time, and of course I've seen enough of Ali G to know what Borat's all about.

I think it may be one of those films where you have to go back and see it again to pick up on some of the stuff. Cohen works fast.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Best. Movie. Ever.

Sold out. We got in the 1st try because we bought tickets a few hours in advance.

The rodeo scene was hilarious, as was the naked wrestling at the hotel, as disturbing as that was.

6. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I tried and got tickets out in some suburb and drove out there and found out that they were carding at the door the THEATRE. So I couldn't get in :mad:. ( I had fandango tickets which I picked up but I've got 5 months to go till I'm 17) This never happens in downtown Portland...Stupid suburbs...

I'm going to try again in downtown where the regal-cinema police aren't so vigilant. Or maybe I'll just go with my dad. I'm excited in any case.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I dont go to movies very often, but i went to see this one on opening night. My friend bought tickets about 2 hours early, and we waited in line for about 45 mins before it opened.

I thought it was very funny. Well worth the price of admission.

8. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Just came back from it.
    My throat is still sore from laughing so hard. :D

9. jonutarr macrumors regular

jonutarr

10. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Not released in Japan yet - but will probably wait for the Amazon.com dvd release as I do not want to be the only person LMAO at the theater in Japan (which is usually the case when I go to comedies here as the translations just don't seem to get any laughs)

Also, with movie ticket prices around $25.00 it is cheaper to get the dvd sent over...

11. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

uhhh wow 25.00 thats a wee bit steep...ne way you wont be missing anything seeing it on dvd, borat's strong point isnt cinematic beauty.

12. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

13. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I hate Borat. I have never liked him or Ali G and have no intent of going to see the movie.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I thought it was pretty funny. Could have been better, but it was funny. I'm glad I saw it.

e

15. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Seen it and laughed my head off. I give it a B- or B rating.

16. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Great movie. Couldnt stop laughing and neither could my girlfriend. But I guess I don't recommend it for a date becuase of the naked wrestling but besides that, awesome movie

17. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

There we go, I was wondering when we'd get some controversy.

I personally think the character Borat is pure genius (aside from the antisemitism), and I'm going to see it tonight. The way Cohen interacts on the fly and manages to stay so deeply in character even in the most hilarious of times is very impressive.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

19. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

Me too and I also want to see saw 3.

20. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

who is Borat? Commercials. Sorry never heard of him before. The previews look stupid to me. But from you all are saying I guess it is funny. Sounds like my kind of humor. Have to go with my brother. Hubby wouldn't like it.

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

the thing that bothers me about the movie is the marketing. He was on the Today show twice, and he didn't break character. I can see him being in character for Leno or lettermen etc, but not the today show. WHen he was on it was at 7ish, they should have moved him to the 9ish slot and saved that time for news. How can matt lauer interview something like this especially with what happened in the news this weekend about Saddam.
    Aside from that it still looks like one of those dumb movies that you should see kinda like jackass, so i'll prob end up seeing it :D

22. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I think for everyone walking into that movie there will be scenes that will cause you to laugh your ass off and others which will make you turn away or think "this is stupid."

I found most of his material to be good, but the scenes involving the nudity and other gross items made me turn away. I am not into the "potty humor."

The "running of the Jew" and bed & breakfast scenes made me laugh the hardest.

23. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Errr...you *do* know that Sascha Baron Cohen is himself an observant Jew, right?

Right??? :confused:

Jeepers, maybe the Jewish Anti-Defamation League was right in expressing concern that some people might actually take the anti-semitism at face value :rolleyes: :eek:

24. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

It's a great movie to see with your friends :D Wait a week or two if you can, so that the lines won't be as long, though. I had a great time!