So... who's worried about the flu?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Awimoway, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Okay, I'm a worrywort, I know. And most news agencies like to spread FUD because it sells, regardless of how true it is or isn't.

But I've got young kids and a not-so-formidable immune system myself, and I don't need to keep hearing news stories about an impending flu epidemic. We're overdue, you know. Haven't had a nasty wave since 1917, and they traditionally hit about every 70 years.

I just don't like it. I know this (link) never looks this bad so early in the season.

I wish I'd gotten a flu shot when they were available in my county.

2. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    So you decided not to get a flu shot. Why?

I never get a flu shot...and I don't get the flu. Wash your hands often, keep your hands away from your face, and stop watching the news. :)

3. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

I moved last summer. I didn't really know when and where here until it was too late. I have gotten them in the past.

4. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

I didn't mean to be harsh in my last post, as your immune system is compromised and you have children. Honestly, if you are concerned, please stop watching and reading all the screaming stories about the end-of-the-world flu season (it's media hype at its worst) as that will actually increase your worrying and chances of not taking care of yourself. Keep your and your childrens' hygene up, and be aware of you and your childrens' surroundings...good common sense will get you through it. And for God's sake, don't go running after that Flonase crap that they're hyping as an up-the-nose non-needle flu preventor...that's another corporate BS game that's only designed to increase dividends of
    GlaxoSmithKline stock holders.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I didn't know you could get the flu from watching the news! ;)

You can take precautions, but if you come in contact with people outside your house, which is pretty hard to avoid, you are playing the odds if you don't get a flu shot. Between 1 out of 5 and 1 out of 10 Americans typically get the flu during the flu season each year. I got a flu shot this year and avoided the flu despite being around half a dozen other people who caught it.

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

The news has scares every year, this year they picked the news.

It was sharks a while back, then kidnappings, etc.

7. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

No offense taken. I love the news. The FUD element appeals to me the way some people enjoy horror movies or roller coasters. I can't avoid the news and I don't really blame them for my worries. I just wondered if anyone else had given it much thought.

In fact, I really wonder if we are "due" for a flu epidemic on the order of, say, 1917. The ability of infectious disease to spread and kill has been greatly reduced since then. And although we're still susceptible to the flu and it does kill some poeple every year, I'm not sure it will ever be the kind of epidemic it has been sometimes in the past. I just don't know. I don't think we can know.

That being said, I think this year does seem worse than usual. If SARS (which isn't influenza, but it's similar) gets loose during the winter months, it could be very bad.

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Already caught it, hopefully I'm done. Incidently, came down with the flu after receiving the flu shot, 24 hours before. Arrrgggggh!!

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The flu is on my mind, but I'm not really concerned. I got the flu shot last month. Will have a better chance even if the more virulent from comes around. Staying out of crowds will help. But the most important and simple is frequent handwashing.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

I don't usually bother with flu shots, but I did this year for the first time--people have been sick all over the place where I am and my wife just spent 5 days straight in bed, bumping up against a 104 degree fever whenever the Tylenol wore off.

I seem to have been lucky enough to have fought off that strain (I was kinda sick, but not that bad), but I'm flying later in the year and I REALLY don't want to spend my entire vacation in bed. So, I bit the bullet. Now if I can just go another week until the immunity kicks in, I'll be (relatively) safe.

My flu shot logic is basically this: assuming you don't need one because of being older or having some other problem, then just ask yourself, providing you can afford one and they're not in short supply, whether you mind the chance of spending two weeks feelling wretched. If two days of a sore arm and a few bucks is worth avoiding nastiness every few years, go ahead. If not, forget it.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear about your wife and family members. Did they also get the flu shot? Sadly no vaccine is 100% effective. Were that actually diagnosed with the flu. Other viruses can mimic the flu.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i also got the flu, but there was not much in the way of respiratory problems outside of maybe a dry cough which was not that persistent

the high fever and basic sluggishness was the key symptoms...the medicine, tamiflu, was worse than the sickness and did very little to stop the flu, imho, and i still have the dry cough and some sluggishness later which i found is common

it's not like a bacterial infection where antibiotics can come in and decimate the symptoms of sickness right away...the anti-viral tamiflu works very subtely and i still ended up with a missed week of work which is the most i have been sick in many, many years

this flu is having its worst hump happen early where usually it doesn't get worse until later in the december thru march season

anyway, i just heard abc news say that this flu will attack many, but it won't pose a serious problem to most of those who get it...but every year the flu kills a lot of elderly and this year can prove to be one of the worst years in that sense

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

People around the Orlando area are going crazy, according to the news. Of course, they have been running out of injections but I think the injections are helping to mutate the flu for the next year. Yes, I'm having positive thoughts. :D

I'm hoping it's not as bad as it looks.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I have to get a shot on Monday. They've restricted the vaccine to the elderly and people with health conditions.

I've asthma and almost died from the flu about four years ago because it bruised my lungs so horribly.

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i got one at work, they did everyone one day... i kind of regret it now, because i don't really like the concept of healthy people getting immunized against a non-lethal (again, to healthy people) disease... yeah i know it sucks to get, and it wreaks havoc on businesses, but flu shots are not going to erradicate the flu, as happened with things like smallpox. so i wonder how long these immunizations can continue before something bad happens... like a new strain hits that's resistant to vaccine and twice as deadly. and now there are people out there that *need* flu shots and can't get them, because people that don't need them got it. i wish my vaccine went to some elderly person somewhere that would be really devistated by the flu, like get-pnemonia-and-be-hospitalized devistated, instead of me not having the inconvenience of feeling like crap for a few days.

so basically i don't think anyone should worry about it, unless they're actually at real risk. but don't believe the media when they want you to panic.

pnw

16. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

As long as I dont throw-up, im ok. I have a throwing-up phobia. (even though I've only done it twice.)

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The people in my family who got this flu haven't had "stomach problems", thank goodness. They've gotten headaches, bodyaches, and fever, but no throwing up. Of course, with little or no appetite day after day, there ain't much to throw up anymore anyway!

18. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Ok. Thats good to know. As long as I don't throw-up or have stomach problems, I'm not too worried. Ill just try to be as careful as possible and wash my hands frequrntly. Thanks Dr. Q, you gave me much releif.

19. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I will never get a flu shot. I don't care if I get the flu. I don't see why everyone his getting so worked up over it.

If you die from the flu, that's too bad.
    :rolleyes:

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, that's a bit insensitive, especially since a few people here have said they could in fact die from the flu. :rolleyes:

I guess it follows that you do not wear your seatbelt either?

21. jadariv macrumors regular

As I sit here scrolling through MacRumors, I am sipping tea and thankfully on the hind end of a week long battle with the flu.

I did not read the article posted. My reading skills are still a little slow (yes, this flu really slows your mental processes way down) but worldwide flu epidemics (or pandemics) like the Spanish Flu of 1917 (it was called Spanish Flu even though it came from China, all major flu viruses come from there though) will happen no matter what. Now, there have been two pandemics since 1917. One in 1958 and one in 1967. You just don't hear as much about them as they just didn't kill as many people, and don't scare as much so newspapers and t.v. don't reference them.

The flu is always going to be there. It has since all of us were kids and long before. A flu shot will protect you from the regular (what's going around this season) flu but will most likely be ineffective against a pandemic since they pop up and spread so quickly that it would be impossible to track it and create a vaccine in time.

Just be careful, take precautions (wash hands, avoid people with the flu). And take anything you read or hear in the news about it with a grain of salt (they have to sell newspapers and get ratings, so worst case scenarios usually dominate their stories.

Here is a book: The Culture of Fear: Why Americans Are Afraid of the Wrong Things by Barry Glassner. You will look at all of these scare tactics in the news very differently.

22. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm just coming off my week-long battle with it as well. This one has been pretty bad, in terms of deaths associated with it.

There was a 16 year old here in San Diego that may have died from it a couple of days ago. [link]

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I haven't read the book, but I'm certainly aware of how the TV news plays up scare stories to sell their programs. Is your hairdresser trying to kill you, something you eat may be poisoning you, etc. A more realistic approach is to look at statistics. I'll bet the statistics on the flu will show it's a reasonable concern for most people, that those most at risk should heed the warnings to get flu shots, and everyone should take sensible precautions where they are most likely to catch it. Wear face masks around your house? No. Wash your hands? Yes.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Washing your hands is still the primary way to prevent the transmission of diseases of any kind. Eating healthy and getting plently fo rest will help to build the immune system so that you can fight infection. Worry (anxiety) will tend to decrease the effectiveness of our immune system.

25. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Yeah, kinda like what I said in the second post on this thread.;)

'cept I admit to the ocassional Taco Bell.:D