So why exactly does a new 'flat' design have to mean girly pastel colors??

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by krashx7, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors regular

These new icons look fine but the colors... Ugh they look like my 8 year old daughter colored them in coloring book or something.

Here's to hoping we get some different color schemes.

2. macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Apple backing off? Don't doubt it, mate. They'd feel too ashamed

I think it's time to go android :p

3. macrumors 68020

Dude, it's been 2 months now. They ain't changing.

4. macrumors 6502

They're not girly. They're not pastel. They are primary, secondary and tertiary colours. The issue isn't with the colours, the issue is that they're not to your personal taste. I like them, as so many others do too.

In fact, the most common colour for the icons is blue! Neither a pastel colour, nor a feminine colour.

5. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

i haven't seen one of these threads in a while. Thanks TC

6. macrumors 6502a

I don't mind the colours. It looks different and fresh, in my opinion. The overbearing use of white is another matter…

I have heard a few people mention before that these colours are attractive to those living in Asian countries (e.g., China), which suits Apple's strategy of trying to gain traction in those markets.

7. macrumors 6502

No no. I am Asian and I am Chinese, and I hate the colour choice too... The first impression is kid computer sold at Toys R US

8. macrumors 6502a

I didn't mean to say that Chinese people like it. I meant that China's/Japan's culture is more oriented towards brighter colours (think of Anime and ads you see in those places).

9. macrumors 6502

Perhaps the answer to your question lies in one of the dozens of previous threads covering the exact same topic?

10. macrumors regular

Here's hoping that you will accept the fact that the icons arent gonna change and will stop whining about it or just switch to android.

11. macrumors 6502a

Odds are, you were planning to switch to Android already. Selling your phone to avoid having to look at icons that you could just place in a folder is pretty extreme, particularly considering how little time most people spend actually looking at their home screen.

12. macrumors regular

uhaas

13. macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Haha nah I was kidding, if I really can't stand iOS 7, I'll just stick with iOS 6 and no way I'm switching phones before at least iOS 8

14. macrumors 68000

Nothing looks 'pretty good' about the icons. Nothing.
    And folders. Don't get me started on the new folder UI.

However the UI elements are another story. Yes, they do look "pretty good" though they should have kept the same UI menu icon elements that also exist in OS X - like the safari share button.

15. macrumors G3

charlituna

You might want to try an art class. Because they are not pastel.

And a little less sexism wouldn't hurt either

16. macrumors 65816

I'm a manly cowboy and I prefer the new colors and patterns. :D

17. macrumors 68030

Well... it is the colour of pregnancy tests.

18. macrumors regular

What bothers me is the lack of color everywhere in the OS ...except for the icons.

19. macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

That's what apparently happens when you let a group of hipster marketing folk design your OS.

20. macrumors G5

jav6454

All I know is that kids will go crazy over the new colors.

21. macrumors 6502

They got rid of the skeuomorphism and they needed a new way to make the software seem friendly.

22. macrumors 6502

Oh that's funny, I'm Asian and Chinese and I absolutely LOVE the color palette, I hope they keep it forever :).

23. macrumors 6502

i like it much better than ios6. to each their own

24. macrumors 6502

No, I am absolutely hate this colour palette. Look at the big red music icon, big green phone icon, go damn awful Game Centre icon. The whole OS is too bright to look good. I am much more prefer old set of colour palette. iOS 6 at least not look this childish to me

25. macrumors regular

Tamagotchi

I already did... 4 days ago infact :D. Nexus 4 with stock Android... and... I'm AMAZED by it! I cannot believe I disregarded and criticized Android so much in the past. It's actually blowing my mind, it is way ahead of iOS, even ahead of iOS 7 too with all it's new features. And the best part, is the liberty Android offers me, I can do almost anything :D Loving the experience so far :D

That's because people who don't like the changes in iOS7 have already moved on. The ones that remain in the forums are those that love iOS7 and get a little tingle in their dingle just from thinking and waiting (and waiting...) for it to be released - sad IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.