So why shouldn't I buy a Dell 24" LCD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The new Dell 24" LCD is only $1199.00

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4221&link_number=

The Apple 23" LCD is $1799.00

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...FUAhJ293gn8Uc/0.0.11.1.0.6.21.1.6.1.3.0.0.1.0

Sure its a Dell and not Apple, but for the price you get a bigger screen, same resolution, higher contrast (1000:1 vs 450:1) and brighter (500 cd/m2 vs. 270 cd/m2).

Has anyone seen one or have one? Will there be any issues using these with a PowerMac G5? What about 2 of them?

Thanks,

D

2. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

you shouldn't run into any problems hooking up 1 or even 2 as they use dvi. I guess if you prefer the look and the quality of the apple monitor, you should probably go for it. I don't know about the 24" lcds, but at my school, they have a bunch of 3.4ghz dells with the 20" screens and they look pretty poor overall. The image has a lot of interference, and sometimes, it gets so bad, it gives my classmates headaches. I don't think they're supposed to be like that though...

You should find out the response time and viewing angle of both the apple and the dell, and make sure they are to your likeing as it makes a big difference.
    Good luck making a decision.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Whatever tech department the in the school that the guy above's talking about is clearly inept. My school has the new UltraSharp LCDs, the 17" models, and they look GREAT.

Anyway to the original poster... If you're willing to pay $1,000 JUST for looks, please give me, oh, $3,000 so I can buy a PowerMac G5, okay? You clearly don't give a flying **** where your money goes, why not channel some over here?

;)

4. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Mac users are known to prefer quality/overall design over lower price. That said the Dell LCD panel is a better quality, though I wouldn't say the casing is very stunning. But for all the other features you get (like s-video and composite in), the only reason not to get it over the Apple is the principle of the matter (I was gonna give an example about Microsoft, but I have a Microsoft mouse :eek: ) Oh and maybe if you want to have FireWire ports on your monitor or you want to attach your iSight to your monitor using the magnetic stand.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Having not seen the Dell, I can't compare the quality really. I can say that numbers for LCD specs really don't mean anything when it comes to real world quality. Obviously, the Apple display, being smaller, has a higher pixel density. If it were me, I'd buy the Apple. With that being said, I think the Dell is probably a much better deal.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

All I can say is that my Dell 2001FP is very nice to use. The only thing nicer would be native support from Apple for the portrait mode.

I originally ordered the 2005FPW, but Dell screwed up the order, and shipped the 2001FP. Wide screen would have been nice, but I really like the extra screen height. Knowing this now, given the choice between the three (2001, 2005, 2405) I would have bit the bullet for the 2405FPW though it may have been a little big for my desktop.

Also the height adjustment column on the Dell monitors is a really helpful feature. See how I setup the PB 12" for use with the 2001FP in the attached image.

Attached Files:

7. iGary Guest

iGary

The Apple looks much cooler. :p

Seriously though, I've heard lots of quality control issues with Apple's 23".

8. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its a $500 difference in the price and if you've seen an Apple 23" monitor, some times the text is quite small, so getting even a little larger pixel wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm not going to buy one today, so maybe Apple will lower their prices - even if they drop the 23" $300 I would probably go with the Apple since the firewire has some appeal. But when I get my new PowerMac G5 at the next revision, that's when I'm going to have to make a choice.

As for picture quality, I had a Dell 19" at work and it was great, never had a problem with it. The case might not be as slick as Apple, but its not what the thing looks like on the outside, its what's going on behind the glass that's more important.

And if Apple doesn't drop the price, having 2 of these with my G5 will be quite a nice setup. oh, and I plan to put VESA mounts on them to get them off the desk and both Apple and Dell support that.

D

9. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm not sure if I could stomach looking at the Dell logo. Hmm, maybe Dell should start selling stickers to cover it? :D

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Chip looking at your setup it reminded me of the other glass top desk thread....

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Why shouldn't you?

Nope...no reason that I can think of :eek:

Of course I haven't seen one for myself, but my 2005FPW is outstanding. I would imagine the 24" to be the same. And as I noted in another thread, you can get both the Dell 20"+24" and still have change for the cost of just one Apple 23".

It's a no brainer IMO.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I will not allow my thread to get off topic, so you might want to take that discussion elsewhere :D

Depending on what the new G5s come in at, I'll hope to get 2 of these, I think. I'd still like to see one in person before buying though or hear from someone who has one.

Where do you think I could go to see one?

D

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Keep in mind that you can save even more with Dell. There are coupons out there that give up to 25% off stuff like this. I used one at Xmas when I got my 2001FP. And I got another $150 back from them for all of my hassles for their mistake ($50 off the monitor and $100 gift card).

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I remember that thread! :)

That is why I got the design I did. Much smaller glass panels, and I watch what I put on the desktop in regards to weight.

16. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Well, it MIGHT be the computers; it's even more likely to just be incompetent setup, but I'm here to tell ya that the quality issues AIN'T the screens. The 20" Dell screens are stunningly good quality - easily a match for the 20' ACD (I'm staring at a Dell 2005FPW as I type this).

The 24" I believe uses the same Samsung panel as Sun are using in their flagship display. If so, it's gonna be quite something - I've not seen the Dell version yet, but Sun's display is astoundingly good (as well as being astoundingly expensive, like most Sun hardware :p )...

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

All you can hope is that someone local to you buys one first.

Other than that Dell does allow for returns, though it might cost you the shipping charges and a small restock fee. (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/top.../en/policy?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~section=010#total)

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree, my 2001FP is connected to my eMac through the VGA spanning hack and looks to me as nice as the DVI output from my PB 12".

19. iGary Guest

iGary

I must be a weirdo.

Well, yeah.

I, for some reason cannot bring myself to use a third-party monitor with my Macs. It ruins the experience for me.

I think I need help.

That said, I have a couple of design friends with the Dell monitors, and they are quite sharp, contrasty and beautiful.

I will supply the black electric tape to cover the Dell logo. :D

20. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

haha, that probably won't happen - at least that I know of. I was hoping that a store might carry it, but I'm not sure who would. We have a couple small computer dealers in town, but they're not likely to have any.

I'll just have to wait and see. I might buy one and see if I like it first before getting the second. And who knows what the new PowerMacs are going to come in at - especially if they have dual cores.

D

21. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, it seems this was a popular item - my wife wants one too, so I just bought one and we'll see how we like it. If its good we'll get 1 or two more :D

I'll post pics here or in the other Dell 24" thread when I get it next week.

D

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Congratulations!...but darn it....the more people that order them the more I want one too :eek:

...I'm going to have to not click these threads...

...look forward to seeing the pics though :D ;)

23. jer446 macrumors 6502a

i really want to know if apple will lower the prices on the acd.. i mean they cant be that arrogant that they will charge the price of two dell montiors.. i sure would like to see someone with enough balls to buy some metallic silver paint and paint the sides of one of those displays.. it would actually look like the cinema display kinda.. :p

24. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that would be damn funny :D

don't tempt me :p

D

25. jer446 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

my rendition of the dell monitor if u spraypainted it silver.. not to bad.. i even put in the apple logo, but didnt feel like spending time with the shading so i left the base black..