So, Why won't my 20" ACD work with...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shacklebolt, May 24, 2005.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

This is a silly question, but why won't my new 20" apple cinema display work with my old sawtooth? I know it comes down to the graphics card, an ATI-Rage 16MB ... thing. Obviously, it's not compatible. My question is, why not? I mean, what is it about my old video card such that, when I hook up my new monitor to my sawtooth, when I turn on the computer, the monitor simply won't work? How does the display itself determine whether its requirements are met?

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

The new displays use all-digital DVI connections. Your video card doesn't.

Upgrade your video card and you're good to go.

3. Brigrat macrumors member

Or get the Dell version for half the price, and use its VGA connection. If you go this route, do a search for the threads of the Dell 2005fpw and use the appropriate coupon codes to get the discounted price.

4. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

if I get his explanation correctly he ALLREADY has the 20" so why buy the dell... solve the graphics card itself ;)

just check wich is the best graphics card your sawtooth will accept, probably the ones with the ADC connector will work on that one... so if you get one of those, buy an adaptor to connect your DVI to the ADC port...

or sell the whole sawtooth to begin with & buy a new Mac mini wich can drive your 20" and will be faster than the sawtooth...

5. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

actualy your graphics card does... it sees wich res your diplay can work on... if it doesn't find any compatible one, there will be no image... plug & play -or not- ;-)