So will she be teased.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MongoTheGeek, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I agree, this is pretty dorky, but is she ever even going to be in a regular school? When would there be a chance for anyone to tease her?

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    She'll probably never be able to wear her hair in plaits or have a gold bikini...

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, both the mother and father are major dorks, but the kids might still turn out fine... even if I don't expect them to... ;)

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, its not spelled the same, so that's one thing. But being a Princess, I don't really think its going to matter much :D

D

6. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

When I read the sentence about Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader I missed the part about "star wars" and I thought those were tha names of their other kids and I fell out of my chair laughing.

7. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

What's the problem?

What's the big deal? My son's name is Luke.
    But then, my last name isn't Skywalker. LOL :D

8. jenniff macrumors member

Plus kids these days are so uncultured, the child's peers might not even put two and two together. I work with a lot of kids, and too many them know nothing of Star Wars other than the recent releases.

With the spelling variation, I don't see why the mother even bothered explaining it. She should have kept that Star Wars quip to herself and out of the news. No one would have thought oddly of it.

9. dPratt macrumors member

Her mother (the Queen of Norway) pretty much has to explain since her daughter is not only Leah, but Princess Leah ;)

EDIT: As far as people not putting two and two together, I'm not sure about that. I've never even seen Star Wars, but that's the first thing I think of when I hear Princess Leah.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont see this as a big deal at all..... its not even the same spelling....

11. jenniff macrumors member

But Leah is not an uncommon name. I have many friends named Leah.

Leia is the spelling from the films. So, Princess Leah would fairly much go without noticing, unless she spelled the name Princess Leia.

The "Princess" need not any explanation, as a female child of a Queen will obviously be a princess.

As for you thinking of Star Wars when you hear "Princess Leah", you are clearly older than this child's age group, since you are posting on this forum. My point in saying that no one knows Star Wars is that this child - this infant - will not be teased because children these days do not recognize the films, and so when this infant ages to an age group when her peers will be able to tease her, they will not because they know nothing of Star Wars.

Who are we kidding? This child will have enough security following her around that no one will dare tease her to her face or behind her back, even if they do know who Princess Leia is.

12. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Wow that must be a pretty big rock you live under.... ;)

13. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

But did you name him because of the movie?

14. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

No

Not really, but I don't mind the connection. We just liked the sound of it.

15. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

isn't leah and leia pronounced differently?

leah = lay uh
    leia = lee ah

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, it is uncommon in Norway. Until now, that is, because I'm sure that it will be a fashion to name baby girls Leah the next couple of years... :rolleyes:

17. dPratt macrumors member

I'm sure, so this is really a non-issue, I suppose. If it hadn't been explained here, I wouldn't have known Norway's Princess Leah's name was spelled differently. Which brings us back to...
    It's not so much a rock as apathy. I actually don't watch many movies, for some reason. Although when I do, I usually enjoy them. Yeah, maybe it's a rock after all ;)

18. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Can you imagine the news coverage she would get if she ever does anything heroic? ie. save someone from a burning building, help blow up a secret weapon, etc. :rolleyes:

Princess Leah Saves Mans Life. Film at 11:00.

19. jenniff macrumors member

The Leahs I know pronounce the name "lee-ah", although likely there are those who pronounce it otherwise. I know Megans that pronounce their name "Meee-gan".

Although in Episode IV, you hear Leia pronounced both "lay-uh" and "lee-uh".. very strange.

I had no clue to the unpopularity of the name Leah in Norway. I'm just an uncultured American, I suppose. Either way, it's a total non-issue due to previously mentioned points.

20. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's funny...my pronunciation table is the complete opposite of yours - much like what jenniff mentioned.

21. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

that is funny! I got it backwards! sorry about that.

should be

leah = lee ah
    leia = lay uh

i'm just spacing out today

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just before this pronunciation debate escalates: In Norwegian both names are pronounced very similar.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Normally children are teased just because they are different. Being a Princess is a whole different lifestyle, so don't think she will have any worries. I think that Leah is a lovely name.

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

"Luke" sounds so cool in French, like, "loo kah," sorry, I can't type out a really cool looking French accent. :p

25. panphage macrumors 6502

Well, my middle name is Thorin and I tried to keep it quiet till college. Of course, the teasing was just because the name is "weird", not because it's a Dwarven King. No one reads...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.