So will the PSP replace the IPod as the "hip" tech item?

Discussion in 'Games' started by trojan18, Mar 13, 2005.

1. trojan18 macrumors member

Seems like there's an awful lot of buzz for the PSP, one week before it even launches. And since most analysts are saying there will be a shortage, demand and hype will grow even more...(kind of like what happened with the Ipod minis)....

The PSP is a sleek and sexy tech device...and that alone is the reason some people are drawn to it...just like some people were drawn to the Ipod for the same reason...the sleek, beautiful design.

So will the PSP dethrone the Ipod as the "sexiest" device of the year???

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i find it doubtful simply because it has such a limited audience whereas the iPod can be used by anyone who listens to music, thus available and wanted by a much larger audience

just my .02

3. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

4. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt it. All audiences and ages are purchasing the iPod. Though I'm sure the PSP will be popular, not everyone is going to buy it.

5. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

PSP will be more for the gaming audience right? .... Software is expensive. If they are able to transition to portable video, it might....

6. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Well, I have wanted an iPod for years, but never gotten one. When I heard and looked into the PSP, I ordered one!

I guess that may mean something...

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No way. The PSP is a jack of all trades, master of none.

It does 4 things:

1) Play games. Mostly PS2 ports. While it does this extremely well (great graphics), it's battery life is hideous (4-6 hours).

2) Play music. While it's capable of playing music, you have to buy a memory card. Let's consider.
    http://www.memorysuppliers.com/somestproduo.html
    http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-smarter.asp?id=964595661&rf=smarter&dfdate=03_11_2005
    http://bizrate.lycos.com/marketplace/search/search__cid--465,pid--252133857.html

The cheapest price I can find anywhere is $170, and it's usually more like $200, with some places selling it for $300.
    This is for a 1 GB stick BTW.

So I'll go with the cheapest price (though most consumers will just buy from the local Best Buy or something).

PSP: $250 (US price, includes a 32 MB stick and carrying case, the $200 Japanese PSP-only package will not be available according to IGN).
    1 GB memory stick: $170.

You've just spent $420 to get the same music capacity as a $150 iPod Shuffle.

3) Play photos.
    It can do this well, but for $420 you could get a lot more storage with the $350 iPod Photo at 30 GB vs 1 GB.

4) Play Movies.
    Unlike portable DVD players or even those new portable media players, the PSP's screen is lower than TV resolution. 480x272 or something like that (the last two digits might be different). So things look different.

And you're not really gonna fit more than one movie (assuming you reduce it to PSP format and compress it noticeably) on a 1 GB stick.

AND it's illegal to rip DVD's unless you live in Canada, so you're rather stuck for media to put on it.
    And for $420 you could easily buy a portable DVD player (which could also play music CD's, or better yet, you could burn MP3's on a 4.7 GB $2 DVD-R and take that with you) and have a MUCH bigger screen with full TV quality.

Oh and another thing.
    http://bizrate.lycos.com/marketplace/product_info/overview/index__cid--465,pid--252128844.html
    Check out the pricing for the 2 GB card. The CHEAPEST price is $500, and it ranges to $700.

For the price of that and the PSP, $250 + $500, you get $750.
    You can buy a laptop with Linux from Walmart for $550. $750 should easily get you something with a DVD player and 30 or 40 gig hard drive and WAY bigger screen.

------

The PSP's media capabilities are a gimmick. They're handy extras (say, toss a few MP3's or a MB movie trailer on the included 32 MB card), but they are certainly not worth buying a PSP for. The PSP should be bought for games, and nothing else. And it's CERTAINLY not going to replace the 20 GB iPod.

8. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I think the gaming capabilities alone are worth it!

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yes, but it's not worth it for the media capabilities.

If you want the gaming capabilities (I perfer the DS, personally), go ahead and buy it (it= PSP)!

BUT it's not going to replace the iPod, because it's not worth using as a media center.

10. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

For Music, of course it can not have as much space as an iPod, but when you add the fact that is an awesome gaming system, and that it can play music, which you could get 2 512mb sticks, and it would be cheaper than the 1gb Shuffle, also add the fact that it can play video, that is one awesome tool! Also it looks very sleek!

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I don't know if they are comparable. The iPod is attractive to people of all ages, the PSP is youth oriented and after a certain age range people aren't interested anymore.

12. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

It just won't happen. many of us have no intrest in the PSP but own a iPod. iPod attracts ALL audiences. Including the female one. Most girls don't enjoy video games as much as boys, but they do enjoy the iPod. So again, there is hardly anyway to have the PSP replace the iPod.

13. Vster macrumors 6502

The PSP is tempting for games only, but @ $50 US per game, that is way too much! Especially for a portable system.

All of the DS games I've bought were only $30 each.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Incorrect.
    2 512 MB sticks are $80 apeice, so $160 in total, and if you add that to the initial cost of the PSP you get $410. And you have to carry sticks with you and its more bulky.

Not to mention that you could to the same thing for much cheaper with a DS. Get a $25 CF card adapter, and a 1 GB CF card for $80 (yes, CF cards are that much cheaper).

Or, heck, get a $250 portable DVD player with a 6" or 8" screen. iDVD can put all your pictures on it. And most can play MP3s, so a $2 DVD can more than a $200 iPod Mini!

And you'd have to chop up video files to put them on two 512 MB sticks.

15. applekid macrumors 68020

Bundling a 32 MB Memory Stick is a turn off for me. Sony just had to make another memory card format to confuse consumers more and not to mention it's still really expensive. If I really wanted an "all-in-one" device (which I don't), I'd probably get the DS with that SD adapter (called Play-Yan in Japan; will be coming to the U.S.; they want to be able to bundle the adapter with some special deal like free music to appeal to American consumers; iTunes support would capture that, IMHO...). The SD cards are at least well under $100 for 1GB.

Movies aren't easily obtainable except ripping DVDs which is still a gray area or you have to re-buy your movie collection on UMDs with the PSP (not cool). Photos seems still too gimmicky, so I'll dodge the PSP and even iPod Photo for now (unless they can make photos dumped from your camera display without going to a computer first). Heck, I even find camera phones useless still (the resolution isn't good and isn't as functional or simple as a digital camera). The only use I can find for a PSP or DS for that matter is gaming.

All-in-one devices are just too crippled when you're trying to accomplish a particular task. Take using a PSP vs. an MP3 player for music. The MP3 player is actually useable. You really want to jog with a PSP in your pocket? Movies on the PSP's relatively small screen vs. watching movies on a T.V. or even a laptop. The laptop is much more preferable. I find it (and most consumers seem to as well) better to pay more and carry a few more devices than to get one inadequate all-in-one device.

The only combination that I can say works is photos and (insert color LCD-based device here). People seem to be accepting how small LCDs on phones and cameras and find them adequate for pictures. And the PSP's larger than those tiny LCDs is an advantage.

Sony execs can say all they want about making the PSP into an iPod competitor, but nobody's listening. And if they have already begun competing with the iPod, Apple is stepping all over them.

16. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I think the PSP has the potential to be the next ipod (in terms of movie playing capacity).

1) The media needed to store downloaded movies isn't THAT expensive. In terms of movie size, a feature length movie at 320x240 resolution encoded in divx or xvid can usually fit on a 128mb memory card so by extrapolation, (480x272 is 1.7x the resolution of 320x240) 1.7*128mb is 217.6mb, which means that you'd be able to fit ~4 movies onto a 1gig memory stick. What's more likely is that people will just get a cheaper, lower capacity memory stick.

2) The player itself, at $250, is faaar cheaper than any of M$'s portable media players, has a higher resolution, is sexier, and it does other things than just movie playing.

3) Instead of just ripping movies from DVDs, people will be able to buy the movies on the UMD discs that are used for playing games since sony and a couple of other studios have announced that they're releasing their movies on UMDs (eg. the NA version of the PSP comes bundled with Spiderman 2 on UMD).

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Let's get this straight. NO ONE is ever going to want to watch full-length movies on a screen smaller than 12 inches. Not one that is less than 4" in size. It may be cool and novel right now, but that novelty will wear off. As an mp3 player, it is way to heavy and big to be ever seriously considered as the next iPod killer.

PSP does one thing extremely well, and that is portable gaming. But there are vastly more music listeners than active gamers.

18. Xenious macrumors 6502a

As others have said its a different target audience. The PSP will be technical and complex (to an extent) while the ipod is designed to be simple (read tech for the non technical). I'm buying a PSP for gaming. :)

At 1mil units for US launch I don't think there will be too much of a shortage.

19. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Well, it will surely be better than my current mp3 cd player that only loads the cd correctly half the time and takes about 5 minutes to load! It is a stinkin' brick!

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

1) 320x240? That's a HORRIBLE resolution. You get like 1/4 of the detail from the TV screen.

2)The player itself is $250, but is incapable of anything until you buy memory.
    Creative's portable media center includes a 20 or 40 GB hard drive. Compare that to the puny 32 MB in the PSP.

3) That sucks, since then you've spent the money on the movie but can't play it in anything BUT the PSP.

21. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

How much are they expected to pay for a movie on UMD? Whatever it is, it's not really an attractive option if you already own the DVD. At least the iPod allows you to fill it with CD content that you already have.

22. im_noahselby macrumors member

The PSP will be a huge success. The iPod has already been a huge success. I don't think their will be any losers.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Should be the same amount as a DVD I believe.

24. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

So, reduced quality and versatility, but same price. Good luck, Sony.

25. applekid macrumors 68020

Yep, it was like $19.99 for UMD movies from what I read. And since there's no video-out or anything to get it on a big screen, the UMD movie business is not looking good at all.